Robert Fripp - Exposure Box Set (Steven Wilson Remix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lemme see if I have this straight, regarding just the original Exposure album:

1979 -- LP/cassette ( the 'first edition')

1985 -- first CD release, it's a remix, the 'second edition'

2006 -- deluxe CD set, including the first edition on CD for the first time , and yet another remix : the "third edition"

2022 -- another new remix , by Steve Wilson, the 'fourth edition'

AFAICT the CD/DVD only contains the Third and Fourth edition mixes (the Fourth edition is in stereo and surround)

I didn't like the second or third edition mixes. The original 'first edition' mix rules. We'll see what Wilson does to it.

Wow! I'm in!

Not sure if I'll listen to every last alternate version or how much of the League of Gentlemen I'll get through. The original version of Exposure is still my favorite too. The others are like bonus tracks or something.

Lots of surround in here!

If everything on this box was sold separately it would cost 2x at least. Hard to say no to if you're interested in even half of it.

Lemme see if I have this straight, regarding just the original Exposure album:

1979 -- LP/cassette ( the 'first edition')

1985 -- first CD release, it's a remix, the 'second edition'

2006 -- deluxe CD set, including the first edition on CD for the first time , and yet another remix : the "third edition"

2022 -- another new remix , by Steve Wilson, the 'fourth edition'

AFAICT the CD/DVD only contains the Third and Fourth edition mixes (the Fourth edition is in stereo and surround)

I didn't like the second or third edition mixes. The original 'first edition' mix rules. We'll see what Wilson does to it.

I think the original edition is on the DVD as hi res stereo?

I think the original edition is on the DVD as hi res stereo?

Not exactly, I think, unless it's 'additional material'
Though what is meant by 'original vocal performances' is ambiguous too. The vocals on the 1979 LP ('first edition') were not all the ones Fripp originally wanted.
He wanted Daryl Hall on all of them

DVD features the complete album [meaning the Wilson remix] plus additional material in 24/96 hi-res stereo and in DTS 5.1 Surround Sound • DVD also features Last of the New York Heartthrobs – the Exposure album in its original 1978 intended running order with original vocal performances in 24/96 hi-res stereo • DVD also features the Third Edition of the album plus additional material in 24/48 hi-res stereo

I'm definitely in for the standalone packages at least, but will need to think hard before pulling the trigger on the huge box set. Although I've purchased all the other King Crimson box sets, I'm not sure I love RF's solo work enough to justify 32 discs :rolleyes:! While I find frippertronics interesting, and even went to see him on a solo frippertronics tour, it looks like the big box has many discs of loops and frippertronics concert recordings - thats a lot of droning and solo guitar to sit through and I'm just not sure how often you'd want to go back to it. You can't argue value for money though. Just compare this with Rush's Moving Pictures 40th Deluxe, and for less money. Decisions, decisions.

I was at one or two of those Frippertronics shows. Alas they weren't as electrifying as the Kitchen shows a year or two earlier.

I saw him do a Frippertonic show in an Austin music store in '78 or '79, the only time I've seen him live (or will if he doesn't tour the USA again). He gave
out autographs if you brought a record of his -- he even said NO PUSSYFOOTING was a bootleg on one copy, but signed it anyway. I made
a mistake in pronouncing his first band's name, and he wrote a very large BOOOO on the piece of paper I brought (I was a student who had
to walk, and since it was off and on raining, didn't want to bring an LP to sign). I still have the BOOO :) .

He did answer my question about Keith Tippet. I said I thought he brought a lot to the band, and he said Tippet was still playing around London.

Fripp was great! And the fact that maybe only 50 people were in the store for a free concert was a nice way to experience Fripp. Still regret KC cancelled N.O. at the start of the pandemic, I had a ticket but it was cancelled and not rescheduled :confused:.

And if it's of any help, I also noticed this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 12.01.14 PM.png

Back