Robert Fripp - Exposure Box Set (Steven Wilson Remix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on your review Norm, I will cancel my order with Amazon.
I'll stick with Toyah and Roberts Sunday Lunch!! :D

I think Daryl Hall and Terre Roche vocals are quite good. A bit less so Peter Hammill, who has been better. “You Burn Me Up I’m A Cigarette” is a great change of pace for Hall while “Mary” is nice when done by both Roche and later Hall. I was interested to hear the additional Daryl Hall vocals tracks, surprised that (though Fripp produced Hall’s first solo album, Sacred Songs), his management or his record label originally only allowed 2 of his vocal tracks used and he appears to have been intended as the singer on much of the album (I guess they didn’t want the appearance that Hall was Fripp’s full time vocalist at a time when his Sacred Songs album was about to come out).

I think Daryl Hall and Terre Roche vocals are quite good. A bit less so Peter Hammill, who has been better. “You Burn Me Up I’m A Cigarette” is a great change of pace for Hall while “Mary” is nice when done by both Roche and later Hall. I was interested to hear the additional Daryl Hall vocals tracks, surprised that (though Fripp produced Hall’s first solo album, Sacred Songs), his management or his record label originally only allowed 2 of his vocal tracks used and he appears to have been intended as the singer on much of the album (I guess they didn’t want the appearance that Hall was Fripp’s full time vocalist at a time when his Sacred Songs album was about to come out).
Wasn't 'Sacred Songs' subject to all sorts of delays as well?

Used to hear that SACRED SONGS was part of "trilogy," including Fripp's EXPOSURE and Peter Gabriel's 2nd solo album, hence some of the shared duties,
but only having Fripp in common.

edit: corrected 3rd to 2nd for PG's album in the trilogy ("Scratch")

Last edited:
One listen to 5.1 offering initial impression meh! Mix good but lyrics and vocals, not for me. If I want to listen to someone simply screaming there’s a five year old down the road that’s happy to oblige.
You're obviously not a Peter Hammill fan. I loved how he put Peter right next to Daryl Hall. Brilliant album.

...added Sacred Songs to my Tidal playlist.

Peter Hammill is awesome on Exposure. This is why I'm hoping the remix didn't replace his work with Daryl Hall's vocals instead.

Sacred Songs is very much in the somewhat raw ('audio verite' Fripp called it) sound world of Exposure and Peter Gabriel II, it even shares some music with Exposure (NYCNY = I May Have Had Enough etc). Also, it has some splashes of Frippertronics.

In the same era, the great first Roche Sisters album The Roches was produced by Fripp and features one of his most beautiful performances on "Hammond Song". Similarly, 'White Shadow" on PGII ends with a slithery slow building guitar lead that is ultimate Fripp.

Last edited:
Used to hear that SACRED SONGS was part of "trilogy," including Fripp's EXPOSURE and Peter Gabriel's 3rd solo album, hence some of the shared duties,
but only having Fripp in common.

Sacred Songs and PG's second (not third) album were part of producer Fripp's intended trilogy, including Exposure....the 'Drive to 81'. Fripp was emitting a lot of explanatory verbal gobbledygook at the time but the works speak for themselves.

I think one has to remember that this was seen as a very innovative album when it was first released.
Looking, and expecting, it to be applicable for ones current view of the music in 2022 is perhaps slightly myopic.
There are a heap of great musicians on this album including Eno, Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammil, Darryl Hall ( enabled to get away from his pop leanings) and others...it's a stellar lineup.
So give it a go !

Peter Hammill is awesome on Exposure. This is why I'm hoping the remix didn't replace his work with Daryl Hall's vocals instead.

Sacred Songs is very much in the somewhat raw ('audio verite' Fripp called it) sound world of Exposure and Peter Gabriel II, it even shares some music with Exposure (NYCNY = I May Have Had Enough etc). Also, it has some splashes of Frippertronics.

In the same era, the great first Roche Sisters album The Roches was produced by Fripp and features one of his most beautiful performances on "Hammond Song". Similarly, 'White Shadow" on PGII ends with a slithery slow building guitar lead that is ultimate Fripp.

I agree, Peter Hammill is great on this excellent album, and I've always loved the mixture of the Hammill and Daryl Hall vocal tracks. The remix keeps it as per the original album, but with the alternate vocal tracks added on the end (including on the 5.1 mix on the dvd, so you get surround mixes of both). Also on the dvd in hi res stereo is "Last of the New York Heartthrobs", which is the original intended album, with more Hall, before his management intervened.

Reactions: GOS
You're obviously not a Peter Hammill fan. I loved how he put Peter right next to Daryl Hall. Brilliant album.

I'm a Peter Hammill fan and I've always loved this album! There's more singing than screaming on this album!

I have an excellent memory of a solo Peter Hammill concert that I was at (Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, February 1988), where, for the encore, he came out and ferociously sang Chicago (from Exposure). Just his voice and no instruments, brilliant stuff!

Mine arrived today with a little surprise.
2DF9059A-661D-42BE-A09E-BE446CF262F4.jpeg

Probably the only thing more exhausting than reading the lengthy box set review is the prospect of actually listening to nearly 3 days of frippertronics, 6 versions of Exposure, and many more hours of Fripp's various solo projects. Although I've been a lifelong fan of King Crimson and most of Robert Fripp's collaborative work with many other artists, the extremely eclectic, experimental Exposure is an album I've always respected and admired more than loved. Having previously bought Exposure on vinyl, the original cd and the 2 cd reissue, I will be more than content with the CD/DVD edition I'm expecting to receive next week. My main interest is in hearing what more, if anything, Steven Wilson can reveal from the material with a surround mix.

Question for those who own the box: The League of Gentlemen in Blu-ray 28 is supposed to be in Atmos according to the booklet, but it's only in 5.1 in the Blu-ray itself, unless I'm missing something. Can anyone check?

Question for those who own the box: The League of Gentlemen in Blu-ray 28 is supposed to be in Atmos according to the booklet, but it's only in 5.1 in the Blu-ray itself, unless I'm missing something. Can anyone check?
I found this quoted on the poll thread, but can't seem to find the original post on the DGM site.
One final note. There is a minor discrepancy in the booklet, which lists the League of Gentlemen mix on Blu-ray 28 as Atmos when in fact it is in DTS-HD Master audio 5.1 instead. According to the DGM guestbook:

“Although considered for an Atmos mix by Steven, it was decided the League of Gentlemen would sound great in 5.1 and would work less well in Atmos. Unfortunately the compilers carried forward the error listing it as Atmos.”

Yes--I think that was a misprint in the booklet (and the back-of-the-box tracklist?).

Back