Roger Waters 2020 North American tour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scalpers hear the name Pink Floyd and they way overbuy tickets - far overestimating the value of Roger Waters tickets. At the very least I NEVER buy "extras" for Roger anymore.
The problem is these "scalpers" are side businesses owned by Ticket Bastard themselves and they're all a bunch of grifters!
I'll be going for the Deadhead method as well myself if I decide to go.

Absolutely fantastic sound, visuals, and musicianship on the Us & Them Tour... I’m tempted to see him again on this tour, but between the cost and politics, I’ll save the money for another artist this time (I’m trying to spend a little less these days on music and shows, a little more on family trips before the kids fly the coop)

I’m in for a show at Madison Square Garden in August. His previous tour with the Animals motif was awesome so this one in the round should also be spectacular.

I’m going to the San Francisco show with my partner. We attended an outdoor show at ATT Park SF which was the Wall tour. I’ve never been to the new Chase Center, how’s the sound? We have 55 dollar nosebleed seats. 👃🏼

The promo is all the songs on the album without any of the Jim Ladd and Billy voice overs so each song has the full lenght version so you hear each song the way it was originally recorded,
gives the album a much better flow. I assume the intent was to provide the radio stations with the ability to play any track as a single on the air and not have the talking which would not make sense on the radio to a person hearing one song for the first time. Kind of unique because that means there are or were to different master made for this album.

Waters said: "Between Ian Ritchie and myself, we really fucked that record up. We tried too hard to make it sound modern. I allowed myself to get pushed down roads that were uncomfortable for me. I should never have made that record." Waters regrets his decision to trim the album from a double to a single one, thus losing much of the concept.

I find this album music wise to be his best but I guess most people don't

Now that's some useful information. I'll have to keep the promo copy in mind.

I'm not wild about Radio Kaos, but recently listened to it again after many years. Some of the songs are quite good, and lyrically and vocally foreshadow Amused to Death, and could have been part of the narrative/flow of that album ("The Powers That be" "Home"). As I listened to it again (with it's distinct, unfortunate 1980's pop sound, just as A Momentary Lapse of Reason also suffers from), I read the Wikipedia entry about it, as you quoted. If this album had been a double LP the story would have been better developed, it seems too abbreviated as it stands. I would be interested if Waters revisited and remixed the album to match his original vision. And, I could see some of those songs fitting in well in his live shows today.

I think of the 80's pop sound as being characterized by some or LOTS of reverb on the drums, or indeed a drum machine as opposed to a drummer. Also, the tendency to use synthesizers of a certain ilk. Listen to Van Halen - You Really Got Me as 70s sound, and Van Halen - Jump as 80s sound. Or for a more dramatic comparison of how to 80s-ize a song, find the original version of ZZ Top La Grange from the LP or the original Best Of CD, compared to any of the later CD versions where they added reverb to "update" (ie: downgrade) the sound.

Both Roger Waters and the post-Waters Floyd fell under the spell of the 80s sound (they were making music in the 80s, after all). However both returned to a less processed sound as they matured away from the early 80s and some of the fads of the era cooled.

Or for a more dramatic comparison of how to 80s-ize a song, find the original version of ZZ Top La Grange from the LP or the original Best Of CD, compared to any of the later CD versions where they added reverb to "update" (ie: downgrade) the sound.

Actually, In the case of ZZ Top, in 1990 they re-mixed their first 6 albums with new drum tracks and issued them on 3 CDs in a box called "Six-Pack". They replaced the real drums with electronic drums using the original drum tracks as triggers for the electric. The (bad) idea stemmed from ZZ Top's success with the Eliminator and Afterburner albums in an effort to make their old material sound like their hits "Legs", "Sharp Dressed Man" and "Gimme All Your Lovin'" hoping the MTV kids that thought ZZ Top was a "new" group would buy their older catalog. It was not received well by most old-time fans.

I didn't think those mixes appeared anywhere else. The individual CD titles retained the original mixes as did remastered re-issues of the albums. "Six-Pack" got cut out pretty quick and I think both WB and ZZ Top would like everyone to forget it ever existed.

I think of the 80's pop sound as being characterized by...

...Both Roger Waters and the post-Waters Floyd fell under the spell of the 80s sound. However both returned to a less processed sound as they matured away from the early 80s and some of the fads of the era cooled.

Good explanation, pretty much right on the head. Both Waters and Floyd updated their sounds during the sounds of the 80's (New Wave synths, electronic drums, to a degree a certain happy, bopping bass guitar), to fit into the sound and perhaps sound relevant. It's didn't really suit either camp, and by Amused to Death and Division Bell they both got back to what sounded best for both.

I’m being refunded by Ticketmaster, finally. My last show was King Crimson, I think my concert going days are over though. Unless there’s a vaccine and King Crimson tours!

Beautiful.

Y'know, I hate that Waters and Gilmour can't get along and that it impacts us as fans (where is that Animals 5.1 release?!?).

That said, Roger has better songs and always will. I thought Is This the Life We Really Want? was the strongest Floyd-related release since The Final Cut. He may be a cantankerous egomaniac, but he delivers the goods.

Back