Music DVD Poll Roger Waters - In The Flesh

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Roger Waters - In The Flesh (live)"

• Total voters
You must be referring to Doyle Bramhall. If I am not mistaken, his late father used to hang with Stevie Ray Vaughan, so he's been around the blues scene all his life. He is very prominently featured in Eric Clapton's excellent Crossroads guitar festival blu-rays - highly recommended for fans of blues and guitar rock and jazz.

He was also in Clapton's band for awhile in the 2000's. He does some great playing in this, but watching it last night I didn't feel his singing did the parts he replicated justice. Jon Carin fared a little better. But overall I have a fond place for this release. When I saw him in 2006 with my younger brother, he'd never heard "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" and seeing him discover and get into it was pretty cool. When we came home I gave him my CD copy so he could get that track particularly since the arrangement was pretty much the same.

One could make the distinction that this is probably where Waters' heart began to thaw when it came to his old bandmates. If you've ever heard bootlegs from his previous tours you'd know how much he changed the arrangements to Floyd songs, giving them an awkward R&B feeling and taking emphasis away from the guitar playing. But here the arrangements were much closer to the album versions, any changes made were only meant to enhance the songs for live performance.

Just saw Doyle last week with Clapton.

I can confirm the lack of center and usually tame surrounds for this one.

Though there are standout moments. Like Waters' (Gilmour's?) delayed vocal "stone" during Dogs making its way around the room. And the whacky synth part while everyone else has drinks and plays cards lol.

The Eric Clapton signature Martin, with its famous lack of mids (designed for bass/treble chicken pickin' playing) is an odd choice for Waters' strummy style...

Last edited:
Back