Roger Waters Us and Them tour concert film! (Blu-Ray release in the Fall)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished watching this and I have to say, the prism effect during Brain Damage / Eclipse is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a rock show.

Just finished watching this and I have to say, the prism effect during Brain Damage / Eclipse is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a rock show.
It was pretty amazing live. As was the rest of the show with the expanding center-of-venue screens. Waters puts out some of the best theatrics in the business.

A few impressions of the blu-ray (I only can play in 5.1 so I can't comment on the Atmos mix):

1. The sound mix was really good in some respects, and seemed to be lacking in others, creating an odd disjointed feeling for me. For example, the surround effects from the Dark Side tracks were well-placed and at good volume (voices, cash registers, alarm clocks, etc.). I feel like that was all done in the mix post-production - it didn't sound "live" to me but it did sound good nonetheless. The other effects (explosions, etc. of which there were many, synched with the images shown on-screen) definitely had low-end punch - a real good subwoofer workout. However, the sound of the band playing their instruments just seemed lacking punch and seemed to be mixed in at too low a volume. This is where that disjointed feeling came in for me. I wanted to turn the volume way up during the songs but then dial it back during the effects.
2. The band was good, doing a pretty good Pink Floyd clone job. It took a while to get used to the Gilmour vocal substitutions. The drummer was just ok for me. David Kilminster did a nice job capturing Gilmour's guitar tone. I think the background singers (Lucius) did a nice job too.
3. The production was really good - huge video screens, lasers, disco ball, and the prism effect near the end were all great.
4. The political message was over the top, no surprise there, I usually just sort of push those to the side and try and just enjoy the music aspect of the show.
5. I don't really know why they couldn't have included Comfortably Numb in the main program. Relegated to a stereo-only extra here but would clearly have fit in with the rest of the show. Pretty cool to me that Roger went down to the front row during this to greet the fans close up.
6. There was an interesting bit during Money - in the middle of the guitar solo, the band just suddenly stops, the venue goes dark, and there are major explosions and incineration effects going on with the video/audio, and then the band just starts up again. A great effect, I thought.
7. The behind-the-scenes feature was cool - I am a sucker for those kinds of things. Love him or hate him, Roger comes across as a pretty decent guy in how he treats his band and staff in the video. Not sure how much of that was "for the cameras" but seemed genuine to me at least.
8. The other extra track, Smell the Roses, seemed obviously lip-synched to me. Ok that they left this as an extra.
9. As others have said, there are numerous shots of the crowd singing along, but to me this did not detract from the overall presentation. I believe this was recorded in Brazil and those fans can get really crazy (see Rush in Rio, for example). Strangely, they clearly de-emphasized the sound of the crowd in this mix. Almost no cheering to be heard in the mix.
10. Highlights for me were Us and Them, Pigs, and Brain Damage / Eclipse.

Overall, I did really enjoy this. Picture and sound were very good to great. A Waters show is always a unique production and this was no exception. Worth getting if you are a Floyd fan and are on the fence about this.

I just got this in recently. I watched 5 tracks so far in Atmos (One of These days until it got to Deja Vu) . The sound quality is good, but there wasn't a whole lot of discrete stuff going on in the surround speakers most of the time (very forward presentation). There were some sound effects, ambience and the crowd. I noticed a bit on the ceiling once. It looks like the production was pretty impressive (compared to the bubble slides I got when I saw him live during the first year of the "In the Flesh" tour. I think I missed the unique look of Mr. Screen, though. The two backup singers head insane amounts of makeup around their eyes and wigs on. I couldn't tell what they looked like for real (always like the Robert Palmer dressed style backup singers on Delicate Sound of Thunder). I'll try to watch the rest soon.

I've also got The Wall in Atmos on order. I saw part of it on TV before and I don't like how they interrupt the concert to show documentary stuff. They could have at least had a branching effect for the full concert like Nick Mason and David Gilmour's more recent concerts had, but I've read good things about the Atmos on it. It seems these are running low on stock. I had to order The Wall from the UK to avoid paying over $45. (about $20 shipped from UK), but that means no 4K digital copy in the US from iTunes (which oddly has 4K but no Atmos for both it and Us & Them).

I just got this in recently. I watched 5 tracks so far in Atmos (One of These days until it got to Deja Vu) . The sound quality is good, but there wasn't a whole lot of discrete stuff going on in the surround speakers most of the time (very forward presentation). There were some sound effects, ambience and the crowd. I noticed a bit on the ceiling once. It looks like the production was pretty impressive (compared to the bubble slides I got when I saw him live during the first year of the "In the Flesh" tour. I think I missed the unique look of Mr. Screen, though. The two backup singers head insane amounts of makeup around their eyes and wigs on. I couldn't tell what they looked like for real (always like the Robert Palmer dressed style backup singers on Delicate Sound of Thunder). I'll try to watch the rest soon.

I've also got The Wall in Atmos on order. I saw part of it on TV before and I don't like how they interrupt the concert to show documentary stuff. They could have at least had a branching effect for the full concert like Nick Mason and David Gilmour's more recent concerts had, but I've read good things about the Atmos on it. It seems these are running low on stock. I had to order The Wall from the UK to avoid paying over $45. (about $20 shipped from UK), but that means no 4K digital copy in the US from iTunes (which oddly has 4K but no Atmos for both it and Us & Them).
Is The Wall available as a 5.1 surround ?

Is The Wall available as a 5.1 surround ?

Nah Rob, not the Pink Floyd album itself, at least not yet...........instead, the Roger Waters concert film, The Wall is what he is talking about .......but yeah the concert film is

Th
Nah Rob, not the Pink Floyd album itself, at least not yet...........instead, the Roger Waters concert film, The Wall is what he is talking about .......but yeah the concert film is
Thanks, guess I’m just getting excited that I’ve heard there might be a “Middle Years” box with Meddle, Animals and The Wall all in 5.1 soon! 🤞🙏 Heard a pod cast of James Guthrie has got together with Roger during these Isolation days.

Back