Roger Waters Us and Them tour concert film! (Blu-Ray release in the Fall)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Apparently it is a slow news day in New York City because the New York Daily News ran this article about Roger Waters being observed riding the subway.

However, the article also mentions that a concert movie filmed on his tour last year would be shown in theaters this fall. I had assumed of course that he would film something on the tour, but this is the first I have heard about a release date. I also wasn't necessarily expecting it to be shown in theaters. Although of course his last concert film was. Would not be surprised if it had a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

I don’t know how much money he’s out by making The Wall concert film as he did. But he didn’t get any of mine. Lot of people wanted the concert in 5.1 without all the bullshit.

It was a great show, but I could seriously do without the politics. Being there made me think of "In The Flesh":
"Are there any conservatives in the theater tonight? Get them up against the wall!", lol.
"The Wall" concert blu-ray, however, is absolutely fantastic... but I would personally have to pass on any release of the "Us & Them" tour (I guess I'm one of "Them" in Roger's eyes).

I don’t know how much money he’s out by making The Wall concert film as he did. But he didn’t get any of mine. Lot of people wanted the concert in 5.1 without all the bullshit.
He couldn't care less, he doesn't cater to those people. He's not doing this for the money at this point, his art is conceptual and he has a message and that's why he's doing what he's doing. It's not like The Wall was ever just about the music. There are plenty of other performers out there with nothing to say, something for everyone ;)

It was a great show, but I could seriously do without the politics. Being there made me think of "In The Flesh":
"Are there any conservatives in the theater tonight? Get them up against the wall!", lol.
"The Wall" concert blu-ray, however, is absolutely fantastic... but I would personally have to pass on any release of the "Us & Them" tour (I guess I'm one of "Them" in Roger's eyes).

For me... Roger Waters was only relevant in those years with Pink Floyd...and only in the music.......his excessive need for admiration...and this "so called" activism...which is laughable...doesn't merit any of my time....even some of my friends that are "ultra liberal" has grown tired of his shtick...his message to the world.."Hey..look at me...I'm Roger Waters...I'm great...sometimes I lyp synch...but I have mentioned that I'm great"...

For me... Roger Waters was only relevant in those years with Pink Floyd...and only in the music.......his excessive need for admiration...and this "so called" activism...which is laughable...doesn't merit any of my time....even some of my friends that are "ultra liberal" has grown tired of his shtick...his message to the world.."Hey..look at me...I'm Roger Waters...I'm great...sometimes I lyp synch...but I have mentioned that I'm great"...
He points out a lot of problems, but offers no real solution

He points out a lot of problems, but offers no real solution
Isn't the point of political art to point to the issues? What else would you have him do, publish a detailed plan on how to solve humanity's problems and end wars around the world? Did CSNY do this at some point and I missed it? Roger talks about his pain, and others' pain through his art, and he does it marvellously.

By speaking out against zionist apartheid, for example, he shines a light on the problem. He is also actively involved with the BDS movement and consistently publishes articles about these issues and actively trying to convince other artists to boycott Israel - which is the only way to get things to change over there. I see both pointing at a problem and offering a solution right there, at least about one issue.

I personally enjoyed the DSOTM tour the most. I would have been all over a concert only film of The Wall. I was fortunate to see The Wall tour 2x and loved the show. I’m well aware that Waters hates Israel, conservatives, and, ironically, people with money. It grows tiresome. My wife and friends damn near walked out of the Us and Them concert.

I personally enjoyed the DSOTM tour the most. I would have been all over a concert only film of The Wall. I was fortunate to see The Wall tour 2x and loved the show. I’m well aware that Waters hates Israel, conservatives, and, ironically, people with money. It grows tiresome. My wife and friends damn near walked out of the Us and Them concert.
Roger Waters speaks out against what Zionism has become, and the apartheid Palestinians have been living in for half a century. That does not equate to "hates Israel", as he's been trying to explain for many years now. It all falls on deaf ears unfortunately. And the criticism about money - the same thing was said about John Lennon singing Imagine from the Dakota building. It's something someone would say when there's no other argument to be made - instead of debating the evidence let's discredit the witness. If you don't like Roger's politics then that's that and it's your prerogative. But you have to understand he's not in it to entertain you, he's in it to say something and to change things he feels deeply about. I, for one, love his politics, agree with his message, and therefore also enjoy his art a lot more.

Last edited:
admsh,
I understand you support the man’s politics. I’m not going to discuss liberal agenda here.

Anything that helps shine light on racist bs and maybe coaxes that trash to act out and out themselves is the right direction. Roger doesn't have the weight of Pink Floyd anymore though. (None of the members do/did solo. They all continued to grow afterward in their respective talents but the sum of the parts and all that. Roger with his theater craft. Dave is something else to hear play nowadays.)

So I don't think he quite pulled it off either. The comments above sure illustrate that! But he's an artist putting a lot of energy into something he's passionate about and he seems like a decent human. Compared to some of the energy that goes into trashy behavior and from people who know better but have their price. His delivery might have been pretty far from perfect but it's the right side to be on. (If I've missed some hypocrisy out of him that blows that theory - and I probably have - well there you go. Have I missed something from Ted Nugent, for example, that would make me forgive his wholly insincere racist bs? He's a powerful guitar player too in his own right. Got to pick your battles.)

I was a fan of the musical prowess of Floyd. The dedication to being difficult and taking risks musically on stage. The political rants on Animals, for example, were done in a powerful way that matched the level of everything else. I thought so anyway. The rants without that hungry level for the music just don't work for me even if I agree with what he's saying.

Anyway, I wonder if he'll use the vocals he recorded for the tour to lipsync to or if he'll record new vocals for the concert film.

admsh,
I understand you support the man’s politics. I’m not going to discuss liberal agenda here.
It wasn't my intention to debate politics with you, and certainly not "the liberal agenda", whatever that means. The point was always that expecting him not to be political in order to entertain you is ridiculous and isn't going to happen, so bitching about it is pointless. At this point in his career he's basically saying, if you don't like it, F off.

At this point in his career he's basically saying, if you don't like it, F off.

Yes that is surly his stance.

As far as him being anti war, I often wonder if he thinks WWII was necessary? After all, his own homeland was under attack. His father died for that cause.

Back