Roger Waters Us and Them tour concert film! (Blu-Ray release in the Fall)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'll just state that I don't mind the vignettes in his recent Wall Live movie.
It's hard for me to make it through the movie without tears and strong feelings.
I think he did a great job.

Great use of Atmos, btw...

I'm glad I know he lost his father and his father lost his father in wars. Neither one of them knew their fathers.
Helps me understand why a super-rich dude would actually care and keep singing about it.

My personal hunch is that Waters is against senseless war. Rather, the senseless ways that warriors can die.
Often, tactics are highly questionable, to say the least. Like when thousands die to take a hill and it's just abandoned the next day. That type of stuff.
Probably also senseless reasons for starting wars. Corruption, greed, etc.

That's the kind of vibe I pick up from his music, anyway.

Well, I'll just state that I don't mind the vignettes in his recent Wall Live movie.
It's hard for me to make it through the movie without tears and strong feelings.
I think he did a great job.

Great use of Atmos, btw...

I'm glad I know he lost his father and his father lost his father in wars. Neither one of them knew their fathers.
Helps me understand why a super-rich dude would actually care and keep singing about it.

My personal hunch is that Waters is against senseless war. Rather, the senseless ways that warriors can die.
Often, tactics are highly questionable, to say the least. Like when thousands die to take a hill and it's just abandoned the next day. That type of stuff.
Probably also senseless reasons for starting wars. Corruption, greed, etc.

That's the kind of vibe I pick up from his music, anyway.

Well spoken. I second that sentiment but am humbly not as qualified as you.

As someone who actually sacrifices their life for their country, you are certainly the most qualified to make any kind of sentiment of Roger and his opinions of War. I think Roger would agree wholeheartly with your sentiments.

Just speaking to some of those who said he doesn't have it musically anymore, I think that's erroneous. He knows that just as the bass player he cannot bring what Gilmour does, but at least he is able to put together bands that can do their level-best to replicate the songs in satisfying ways.

I'll wait for DVD or Blu. Not going to chance my viewing experience to be ruined by others with differing opinions, and will just savor watching it by my lonesome instead. Plus I might be out travelling around that time anyway.

I wasn't planning to go after the sour taste the concert left, but a friend gave me a ticket for free and I went to the cinema on my own tonight. My expectations were really low, but all in all it wasn't so bad.
Warning: it contains spoilers!
The concert clocks at 2 hours sharp, including the end credits, plus another 15 minutes of the "A fleeting glimpse" featurete. This kind of a documentary is prescindible, unless you want to see again Roger's nude torso (yes, that's it, I'm not joking). To be fair with the doc, it contains some scerpts of the songs cut out of the main feature (Bravery, Comfortably Numb). Curiously, according to the credits, it was not mixed by Nigel and the mix and sound are ages better than those of the concert. There's at least some echo and reverb, as you would expect from a big arena and you can even hear the music in surround! There's also a funny moment with Roger sort of explaining to a fan why he does not shake hands (germs!).

Going back to the concert, it starts with some cool surround effects (thunderstorms, plane crossing the arena), but as soon as Breathe starts, you feel like something is missing: the sound is crisp and clear, but dry, really dry. You don't feel like in the middle of a huge hall, but inside of a small recording booth. And where's the bass? Sound was just below the right volume for a concert and the subwoofers were missing in action. Everytime I go to the movies I complain because the sound is deafening and when they play a freaking concert, they lower the sound. Unbelievable.
Going back to the bass (or lack of), one of the highlights of the live gig was right after the interlude when Battersea is risen up. The low frequencies shook your entire body. All that was missing in the theatre. Nothing! Nada! Even the surround sound effects: the sirens sounded all around you in the arena and it's mostly all in the fronts in the movie. Barking dogs that were everywhere sound tiny in the movie.
Hence, don't expect much from the surround mix, only the regular effects during Time or Money, but no swirling synths in Welcome to the Machine, for example.
Musically, the band sounds anemic, specially Jonathan Wilson. His vocals in Dogs are nearly a laugh and makes you wonder why Jon Carin didn't sing them. His guitar solo (Jonathan's) in Picture That is not very good either.
However, the band plays with a little bit more of energy Pigs 3DO, the highlight of the show in my opinion. Money is not bad, apart from the sudden break in the middle. Us and them is weak, let's say Ian Ritchie does not nail the sax part. Comfy is missing (but they kept the hands animation is WYWH, that felts weird without the closing scene in Numb) and the show ends with Brain Damage and Eclipse.
And oh, I almost forgot, there's a cringe worthy moment during Brick with Roger hugging children. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.
The end credits are good because of a couple of things: Deja vu missing verse (I like the orchestration in a more PF traditional way, I wonder how Is this the life would have sounded without Nigel) and the impromptu song by the Brazilian children.
I was looking in the credits for the info about the movie sound mixers and it's Nigel and another guy whose name I can't remember! It's a composed surname like Rett-Davies or Brent-Davies or something like that.
In brief, I don't know if I will even buy the Blu-ray whenever this is released. The concert is boring (again, in my humble opinion) and neither the mix nor the performance are any good.
My cinema does not have Atmos, so maybe this will be any better.
Oh, and the added shots do not add anything to the narrative. And the audience shot is surprisingly young, maybe in Amsterdam it was like that, but I swear in Madrid the average age of Roger's fan was much higher.
Looking forward to more reviews, more positive than mine!!!

I'll be seeing it this Sunday, courtesy of a friend. I also saw the real thing, courtesy of the same friend. I remember enjoying the real deal but I won't be buying this if/when it's released. As far as people not agreeing with his politics, lighten up and enjoy his art. I can't stand listening to Ted Nugent's drivel, but I still enjoy listening to his first couple albums.

Short take: Welease Woger!

I also attended tonight. I agree with some of what César says, but we also differ on some points.

Spoilers Ahead:

The sound was bass-shy, as observed, and you know in these theaters it does not have to be like that. In fact there are a few moments where the subs are employed, so I know they were still working, but the music was not as full as it could have been.

As could be expected of a Roger production, the camera spent alot of time on him. There were times where this shot choice was gratuitous, because as a listener I know where my eyes would have gone - such as the lap steel in Breathe. Why show Roger playing a simple bass part? What then to do about megalomania? I was struck by the irony of Roger ragging on Trump for self-aggrandizement, while being engaged in similar self-promotion. Of course the difference is Roger does NOT preside over the most powerful nation on earth. I will limit my political comments to that. Having said that, Roger in no way limits his political commentary. But anyone who has followed his career should know by now that he is no friend of conservative ideology. So if you go hoping for a politically neutral show, you will be unhappy with the presentation.

I do not love the make-up job on the two female singers, but by God they provide the best vocal interpretation of Great Gigi In The Sky since Clare Torry herself! This performance alone may be worth the price of a Blu-ray.

Many of the supplemental visuals left me wondering what Roger is trying to say. He has as close to an unlimited budget as any rock star. Some stuff could have been better conceived in my view.

That said, the execution of the concert is spectacular. There is much eye candy on parade.

As for surround, it was far more than absent, but far less than it could have been. Machine has been mentioned. Also the swirling keyboards in Dogs? C'mon guys - this is not rocket science! Some stuff is good, but lots of missed opportunities.

Cynically, I wondered if they planted people in the crowd to mouth along with his more recent lyrics. But then Roger is my hero, and he is cynical as shit!

I assume they will Welease this in Blu-ray, and I will definitely buy it. In general I found it far more satisfying a record of the concert (which I did attend) than the Wall concert film. This film has far less digression - far more focus on the event.

I will watch this again at home, and roll in some bass punch. Should be great!

I also attended tonight. I agree with some of what César says, but we also differ on some points.

Spoilers Ahead:

The sound was bass-shy, as observed, and you know in these theaters it does not have to be like that. In fact there are a few moments where the subs are employed, so I know they were still working, but the music was not as full as it could have been.

As could be expected of a Roger production, the camera spent alot of time on him. There were times where this shot choice was gratuitous, because as a listener I know where my eyes would have gone - such as the lap steel in Breathe. Why show Roger playing a simple bass part? What then to do about megalomania? I was struck by the irony of Roger ragging on Trump for self-aggrandizement, while being engaged in similar self-promotion. Of course the difference is Roger does NOT preside over the most powerful nation on earth. I will limit my political comments to that. Having said that, Roger in no way limits his political commentary. But anyone who has followed his career should know by now that he is no friend of conservative ideology. So if you go hoping for a politically neutral show, you will be unhappy with the presentation.

I do not love the make-up job on the two female singers, but by God they provide the best vocal interpretation of Great Gigi In The Sky since Clare Torry herself! This performance alone may be worth the price of a Blu-ray.

Many of the supplemental visuals left me wondering what Roger is trying to say. He has as close to an unlimited budget as any rock star. Some stuff could have been better conceived in my view.

That said, the execution of the concert is spectacular. There is much eye candy on parade.

As for surround, it was far more than absent, but far less than it could have been. Machine has been mentioned. Also the swirling keyboards in Dogs? C'mon guys - this is not rocket science! Some stuff is good, but lots of missed opportunities.

Cynically, I wondered if they planted people in the crowd to mouth along with his more recent lyrics. But then Roger is my hero, and he is cynical as shit!

I assume they will Welease this in Blu-ray, and I will definitely buy it. In general I found it far more satisfying a record of the concert (which I did attend) than the Wall concert film. This film has far less digression - far more focus on the event.

Funnily, the surround mix in the live gig was amazing, I'm puzzled why they did not follow the same approach with the movie's

Spoilers Ahead:

Saw it last night. I agree that the mix is lacking, but yes, the performance of Great Gig in the Sky by the young ladies is worth the price of admission alone. Gave me chills.

Yes that is surly his stance.

As far as him being anti war, I often wonder if he thinks WWII was necessary? After all, his own homeland was under attack. His father died for that cause.

I'm sure that Adolph Hitler would have preferred that every other country submit to his oppression without resistance. Therefore Hitler might have thought WWII was unnecessary. That didn't necessarily translate into his unwillingness to wage it. As nasty and undesirable war is, it is made necessary by the unchecked ambitions of rogue leaders. If justice is to prevail in this world, then war must exist.

Without any bells and whistles, the film is appearing in the different streaming platforms. It's already available in Amazon Prime Spain, although at a very disappointing 1080p and stereo. I have just done some quick sampling and not impressed at all with the sound (I went straight to the spot where Battersea Station rises up and had to raise volume quite a lot to feel the deep bass sounds that were played at that moment).
I'm still puzzled at the (inexistent) marketing strategy for this release. If there's a physical release later on time, I wonder who will buy it, being it available on streaming (yes, yes, I know, us suckers if it's being released in proper surround)

That's interesting, you have two paid options whereas I have only one, but for free (included in the Prime subscription).
Is there any way you can check the audio options?

Back