Roku TV and Marantz SR5015 Sound Connection Issues: I'm willing to pay for someone's expertise....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newslane

QQ Supporter
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Roku TV, and I am having issues getting it to work correctly with my Marantz SR5015.

If someone has experience with this kind of set-up, PM me. I'm glad to pay your hourly rate.

I'm thinking we can do it using What'sApp. Thank you.

John

I'm sure you'll be able to save that money for your apple music subscription, or for more Blu-rays, because there will be many of helpful fellas in here that can guide you through.

I'm guessing you are trying to get the surround from the Roku to the Marantz. Does your Roku support surround? My Roku stick doesn't. Also, it had better be an HDMI cable.

Does your TV have an HDMI ARC or eARC jack? The Marantz has one and you should be sure to connect these 2 jacks together. Then there may be some menu settings you have to configure in each unit.,

I'm guessing you are trying to get the surround from the Roku to the Marantz. Does your Roku support surround? My Roku stick doesn't. Also, it had better be an HDMI cable.
Thanks for your note.

I bought a new Roku TV. It has an ARC jack, and the Marantz has one, too. The TV tells me the ARC connection is live. And in the Marantz settings, I activated the ARC connection. Still no sound. I also can't seem to play surround music when I access the DVD player through the Roku. I only use the TV in my garage to watch while I exercise, and I can hook up a simple monitor to play music through my surround system.

I'll keep tinkering it with it until something shakes out.

Does your TV have an HDMI ARC or eARC jack? The Marantz has one and you should be sure to connect these 2 jacks together. Then there may be some menu settings you have to configure in each unit.,
It's a new Roku TV. It has an ARC jack, and the Marantz has one, too. The TV tells me the ARC connection is live. And in the Marantz settings, I activated the ARC connection, but I still have no sound.

It's a new Roku TV. It has an ARC jack, and the Marantz has one, too. The TV tells me the ARC connection is live. And in the Marantz settings, I activated the ARC connection, but I still have no sound.
I have a similar issue with my Pioneer SC-LX86 and a few TVs (Sony, Panasonic), eARC/ARC activated on the TV, yet I've never had sound come from the Amp (no matter what settings I change). Reading on-line it seems there is no guarantee that eARC/ARC will function between different manufacturers, its all rather hit and miss :(

I have a similar issue with my Pioneer SC-LX86 and a few TVs (Sony, Panasonic), eARC/ARC activated on the TV, yet I've never had sound come from the Amp (no matter what settings I change). Reading on-line it seems there is no guarantee that eARC/ARC will function between different manufacturers, its all rather hit and miss :(
Good to know! That explains a lot.

How many different incompatible standards do we have now?
HDMI/HDCP incompatible with itself!
1652732943303.png

Whatever happened to the aim in engineering and software were we designed things to have backwards compatibility? Not enough money in it I suppose!

I’m not sure what you are trying to do. ARC/eARC adds audio return between a TV and AVR so your TV audio can play through your AVR’s speakers (TV and a smart TV’s apps).

Why do you need ARC for your Roku? The Roku is a player and needs just a output to one of your AVR inputs. Your DVD should be an input to your AVR not your Roku. Have I missed something?

I’m not sure what you are trying to do. ARC/eARC adds audio return between a TV and AVR so your TV audio can play through your AVR’s speakers (TV and a smart TV’s apps).

Why do you need ARC for your Roku? The Roku is a player and needs just a output to one of your AVR inputs. Your DVD should be an input to your AVR not your Roku. Have I missed something?
I believe he means the TV itself is a Roku TV. I have a TCL TV that is marketed as a "Roku TV", meaning that the smart features of the TV itself are on a Roku platform.

What is the model number of the Roku TV?
Sometimes I can "read between the lines" of less-than-well-written owner's manuals, maybe.

I recently bought a Roku Ultra. I hooked it up to our 8 month old LG OLED Web OS TV. Supposedly they both support all the latest bells and whistles. Even though my home LAN is all wired GigE with managed switches, I decided to hook up the "main" TV via an HDMI interface. The "best" one according to my LG.

The Roku did a handshake with the LG. Installed ARC and Dolby vision... whatever... no audio, the screen would flash every minute and the video quality sucked.

(1) The HDMI cable, which was two years old and works great when I connect my laptop PC to the TV works flawlessly... guess what? It doesn't work with the latest standards. So, I dug out a new "8K" cable, and the flashing worked.

(2) Dolby Vision sucks. Looks terrible. I always set my TVs to "cinema" mode but Dolby Vision overrides that. It sucks. It makes everything look cartoonish and disables user modes. Adios, junk...

(3) I ended up "down converting" the interface to a "plain jane" 4K TV. No Dolby Vision, no ARC, nothing else. Now it works fine.

The "standards" in consumer video are NUTS. Good luck. Try to avoid all the doodahs... just run it as simple as possible. Disable one thing at a time.

Somehow I am reminded of Johnny Cash:

- One Piece at a Time
- The One in the Middle was on the Left

I love the idea of Roku TV but the ones I've encountered always seem sluggish and outdated. I usually just buy the mid-level Rokus when they're on sale for $25-30 and they've got all the features I'd ever use. Plug one of those into your AVR and you should be set. All those fancy features like eARC and CEC just end up driving me nuts so I usually turn them all off.

Back