ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So either nobody knows what car had the factory universal player or nobody cares. The car was year 2007. Or maybe everyone knows there are many factory installed universal players that are SACD and DVD-A surround capable. I must have been asleep...zzz

Yes you can add capacitors in series with the front speakers. Car speakers are generally 4 ohm impedance which require twice the capacitance of typical 8 ohm units. To simply roll off a bit of bass try something like 300µF - 400µF. In my application I was going to try something like 100µF as the door speakers will still handle the full bass. I would recommend experimenting with different sizes to see what works/sounds the best. Smaller sizes will block more bass, larger will pass more.

As DuncanS mentioned there are online calculators that you can use to calculate for a particular crossover frequency. Myself I have a large supply of film capacitors that I can pick from, they are too big for most of my electronic projects but would be great for speakers. If you use electrolytics they should be bipolar types.

Alternately if you are running an amplifier they often have crossovers built in. Use high pass for the front and full range for the back.
Ken... didn't you say somewhere elsewhere about getting an Ambisonic unit for your truck? How did it turn out? Or am I just hallucinating again?

Ken... didn't you say somewhere elsewhere about getting an Ambisonic unit for your truck? How did it turn out? Or am I just hallucinating again?
I have the Troy Ambisonic unit but I'm listening to it in the house. For the truck I think that I will use the Roctron Circle Surround unit. It has the rear effect control. I also have a Gavotte that I could use but it has no adjustable surround mode. I suppose that I could install all the units and switch between them but them, but then I would want SQ as well!

I have the Troy Ambisonic unit but I'm listening to it in the house. For the truck I think that I will use the Roctron Circle Surround unit. It has the rear effect control. I also have a Gavotte that I could use but it has no adjustable surround mode. I suppose that I could install all the units and switch between them but them, but then I would want SQ as well!
For SQ, trade the back speakers of CircleSurround.

For SQ, trade the back speakers of CircleSurround.
That will not work! Other than on your site I have never seen anything that suggests that Circle Surround encodes signals in quadrature. It is my experience that the decode is closer to QS or QS surround mode. If you can supply information that confirms what you are saying I would be interested in seeing it.

What I remember seeing of Circle Surround from patent and white paper information, they show different coefficients each time and actually use coefficients that vary with the actual signal (similar to Involve encode?). In any case the Rockton and Gemini decoders are designed more for enhancing stereo anyway. Decoding of stereo for automotive use was one of the design criterias, full bass from the rear was critical.

I'm slowly making progress in my goal of surround sound in my Ford truck.

After replacing the stock door speakers, I mounted the Pioneer satalite speakers. The two rear ones are on top of the plastic pillars at the rear of the truck. The U shaped mounting bracket makes installation a breeze. Initially I did the same with the front speakers but didn't like the look of it, people thought that they were cameras! I had toyed with the idea of installing speakers inside the top of the front doors but that would have been a difficult task due to the air ducts inside that part of the door. With the alternate mounting bracket I was able to attach the satellite speakers high up the doors. The Instruction Sheet for the Pioneer speakers is in Japanese, but at least you have the pictures to help guide you. I wanted to run some decent gauge speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. It was a breeze with the rear doors but difficult with the fronts. Most of the internet advice was to just use the factory wiring. That advice won't work if you want to bi-wire. I ended up drilling a new hole through the chassis/door frame and then cutting a slit in the rubber boot at the door side of the main wiring harness. I will show pictures latter. For my initial testing I connected 60 µFd capacitors in series with the satalite speakers.

listening tests were promising BUT. I was never a fan of the JVC deck that came with my used truck. Aside from the lackluster sound quality that it produced it has another problem. When the truck is running and in any gear but Park there is an audablehum/buzz coming through the speakers. That problem was not there when using the decks own built in amplifier.

Then as a test I connected my Pono player directly to the car amplifier, it sounded fantastic! Next I substituted my Sony MEX-DVD2000 for the JVC and that nasty hum/buzz was gone. Sound quality is much improved over that of the JVC as well. I have ordered a new DIN Radio Dash Kit. The JVC is a dual space unit with a touch screen, the Sony is a "normal" single unit, so the Sony is currently laying loose as I have no means to properly mount it.

I love the Sony deck but it is still far from perfect. I always knew that it wouldn't play DVD-Audio discs but it won't play PCM encoded DVD-Video discs either. It will show them playing but no sound. Discs that use DD or DTS do work. I'll have to rethink my intention of making PCM audio DVD discs for the truck I guess. They do play fine in the JVC deck.

The Sony MEX has Dolby PLII decoding built in but (sorry Midi) dolby decoding of stereo just doesn't cut it! I actually prefer dual stereo! The next step after actually mounting the MEX deck will be to add the Roctron decoder.

I am having the problem of mismatched speakers in my car set up. The rear speakers are so ridiculously powerful that the fronts just don't compare.
Sometimes I reverse the front/rear just so it can go louder depending on the mix.

Any recommendations of super powerful 5.25 inch speakers for the front doors?

The system could use a stereo widener/narrower to use with the Involve decoder, would this be easy to build?
What would I need?

Thanks

I am having the problem of mismatched speakers in my car set up. The rear speakers are so ridiculously powerful that the fronts just don't compare.
Sometimes I reverse the front/rear just so it can go louder depending on the mix.

Any recommendations of super powerful 5.25 inch speakers for the front doors?

The system could use a stereo widener/narrower to use with the Involve decoder, would this be easy to build?
What would I need?

Thanks
No specific recommendations, I don't claim to be a car stereo guru, but checkout the models available from Crutchfield.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_51800/5-1-4-Speakers.html?tp=97You might need to add some form of sound deadening material as well if you really want to rock out without any nasty resonances.
Stereo widener circuits have been discussed here in other threads, not hard to build.

An update to my previous post 409, I have found that the hum/buzz was still present with the Sony deck installed. The noise is lower with the Sony installed compared to the JVC. Also the trucks engine noise made that buzz harder to hear.

Sadly modern vehicles do not have directly switched Accessory power. That makes installing aftermarket equipment more difficult. The solution is included in the install kit for your particular vehicle. I'm not certain exactly what's inside one but it would be some sort of electronic switching circuit. The one in my Ford is in a small plastic box attached to the cable harness. I checked the output with my DVM and found that when the running truck is placed in any gear other than park the output drops slightly and varies quite a bit, on both the battery and accessory lines.

In an effort to get cleaner power I ran another power wire directly off the battery in the same manner as for the amplifier. Connecting that to the Sony deck (battery and accessory) got rid of the noise! Leaving the deck directly connected to the battery and reconnecting the accessory wire to the adaptor box a bit of the noise returned but was much lower than before. The truck is so noisy that I could probably have gotten by leaving it like that but I decided to hook up a relay to switch power directly from the battery using the adaptor box accessory power output lead to control the relay. I didn't like the small ground wire connection on the adaptor either so I also ran a new ground connected to the frame. My power and ground wires are all 8 Gauge 99% Oxygen-Free Copper (OFC).

I'm slowly making progress in my goal of surround sound in my Ford truck.

After replacing the stock door speakers, I mounted the Pioneer satalite speakers. The two rear ones are on top of the plastic pillars at the rear of the truck. The U shaped mounting bracket makes installation a breeze. Initially I did the same with the front speakers but didn't like the look of it, people thought that they were cameras! I had toyed with the idea of installing speakers inside the top of the front doors but that would have been a difficult task due to the air ducts inside that part of the door. With the alternate mounting bracket I was able to attach the satellite speakers high up the doors. The Instruction Sheet for the Pioneer speakers is in Japanese, but at least you have the pictures to help guide you. I wanted to run some decent gauge speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. It was a breeze with the rear doors but difficult with the fronts. Most of the internet advice was to just use the factory wiring. That advice won't work if you want to bi-wire. I ended up drilling a new hole through the chassis/door frame and then cutting a slit in the rubber boot at the door side of the main wiring harness. I will show pictures latter. For my initial testing I connected 60 µFd capacitors in series with the satalite speakers.

listening tests were promising BUT. I was never a fan of the JVC deck that came with my used truck. Aside from the lackluster sound quality that it produced it has another problem. When the truck is running and in any gear but Park there is an audablehum/buzz coming through the speakers. That problem was not there when using the decks own built in amplifier.

Then as a test I connected my Pono player directly to the car amplifier, it sounded fantastic! Next I substituted my Sony MEX-DVD2000 for the JVC and that nasty hum/buzz was gone. Sound quality is much improved over that of the JVC as well. I have ordered a new DIN Radio Dash Kit. The JVC is a dual space unit with a touch screen, the Sony is a "normal" single unit, so the Sony is currently laying loose as I have no means to properly mount it.

I love the Sony deck but it is still far from perfect. I always knew that it wouldn't play DVD-Audio discs but it won't play PCM encoded DVD-Video discs either. It will show them playing but no sound. Discs that use DD or DTS do work. I'll have to rethink my intention of making PCM audio DVD discs for the truck I guess. They do play fine in the JVC deck.

The Sony MEX has Dolby PLII decoding built in but (sorry Midi) dolby decoding of stereo just doesn't cut it! I actually prefer dual stereo! The next step after actually mounting the MEX deck will be to add the Roctron decoder.

Mounting speakers on brackets off the A pillars... are you concerned they may affect the deployment of the air bags?

Mounting speakers on brackets off the A pillars... are you concerned they may affect the deployment of the air bags?
No

Edit: My truck has side airbags at the middle pillar location, not at the back or front. I don't have speakers there.

Interesting idea though, you could add another two sets there one facing forward, surround for the driver and front seated passengers and the other set facing the rear to provide front sound to the rear seated passengers. That idea is promoted in the Rocktron decoder manual as optimal. I don't think that it would affect the actual deployment of the air bags but it might smash the hard metal speaker enclose into your head!

Last edited:
Almost done! I'm still waiting for the dash kit so that I can mount the deck. I've connected the Rocktron CSA12 Circle Surround decoder up to the system. It works great! When the decoding is switched off the output from the front and rear of the deck is passed through. If playing a discrete source DTS or SACD the Roctron does not interfere with that. As I've said previously the Dolby PLII decoding of the Sony deck is unimpressive. The Rockton is much,
Front Satalite Speaker.JPG
Back SataliteSpeaker.JPG
Added PowerRelay.JPG
Amp & SeriesCapacitors.JPG
Back Satalite Speaker 1.JPG
Door Speaker Wire.JPG
JVC Deck.JPG
Rocktron CSA 12 Decoder.JPG
Sony MEX Deck.JPG
SpeakerWire.JPG
Decoder Remote.JPG
SpeakerWire.JPG
Sony MEX Deck.JPG
Rocktron CSA 12 Decoder.JPG
JVC Deck.JPG
Door Speaker Wire.JPG
Back Satalite Speaker 1.JPG
Amp & SeriesCapacitors.JPG
Added PowerRelay.JPG
Front Satalite Speaker.JPG
much better!

As of earlier today my 2004 Crown Vic has surround. I installed a Sony MEX-DV2100 (seems to be a foreign version of the Sony MEX-DV2000) which was easy to install as I already had an aftermarket Sony CD player installed as the stock CD/cassette died. Was listening to a DTS CD I burned of the Steven Wilson mix of A Farewell To Kings earlier and it sounds great. I'm considering at some point adding a sub woofer for a little more bass and I also have some crazy idea about possibly hooking a stereo 8 track player to the rear aux-in.

After the initial install it seemed that the noise that I was talking about returned, I could have sworn that I had eliminated it! It wasn't as loud this time but was still there. The odd thing is that it is only there with the truck in drive reverse or neutral, absolutely no noise in park.

Anyway I added ferrite beads around the power wires, added a power line filter. Finally a noise filter/ground loop Isolator. While no single "fix" removed all the noise the combination did help. The noise while still faintly audible is almost totally gone. I just received some more ferrite beads and will be adding them in as well.

Edit: Added in a few more beads, this time at the battery end plus's a couple at the amplifier and I can no longer hear any noise!

Last edited:
I tested MCH on the new 2022 Ford Ranger/Everest (so called next-Gen) models with the new Ford Sync 4 system and nothing plays in surround. Only front L & R channels play from those two front speakers, nothing is remixed (I.e any info in other channels is missing).

What was weird is when I set the system to ‘surround’ the FR played in FR and FL played in RL. Again no other channel was mixed in and nothing was synthesised into any other speaker to create faux surround. WTF?

These vehicles have either 12 or 10 speakers, depending on the model, complete with C and LFE speakers.

Big disappointment as my 2022 Everest is due for delivery in first week of December (it’s actually being built today).

My Ford dealer reckons, based on his experience, Ford won’t fix any software ‘issues’ in the current model…

Picked up my new Ford Everest Sport next-Gen a couple weeks ago and I can confirm it plays Apple Music streaming Atmos in surround from my iPhone via Apple Carplay. I’ve downloaded a bunch of Atmos albums and playlists to my phone with the Apple Music app and they play using the 10 speaker system.

It doesn’t play MCH files though!

Here’s a surprise. My new Ford Everest plays MCH FLAC and .m4a Atmos files from my iPhone via Apple CarPlay!

I copied some test files/albums onto a usb key with a lightning connector at one end (usb at other) from my PC and they all play in surround, quads and 5.1 FLAC too! USB key plugged into the iPhone using the free Sandisk app.

I had our 4x4 ceramic coated and a 130 litre extended range fuel tank fitted this week:

78C1D57D-AF14-4B4F-B310-01F9E2F1829B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back