ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I miss my ELS system in my old MDX.

Has anyone tried multichannel FLAC or other in the Harman Kardon upgrade system in 2020 Volvos?

This page claims FLAC support: Compatible media formats | Media player | Sound, media and Internet | V90 Cross Country 2020 Early | Volvo Support

This page: Harman Kardon Automotive Volvo says:

"QUANTUMLOGIC® SURROUND SOUND Provides a full 7.1-channel surround sound listening experience from any mono, stereo or multi-channel source."​

We really need a current list of new cars that can deal with discrete 5.1 playback, verified by members. With model names and equipment packages.

I think that some Audi's, some Hyundai's and maybe some MB's can do 5.1 via USB, but we need a verified list. The only car I can absolutely verify is my own Acura. I have yet to hear 5.1 in any other current production vehicle.

Agreed, Jon. I thought I would never want to part with my pseudo surround 2012 Mazdaspeed3, until a recent road trip with my friend to Colorado. He has a MDX 2015. We had been enjoying albums off my iPod Touch, when I took a turn at the wheel. I noticed DTS on the head unit. What?! After we got home and I did a little research I brought over a DTS CD and one I had burned. Oh my! What have I been missing! The burned one lagged and stalled but figured out it was because of the adhesive label. I since have burned some more sans labels and perfection! Needless to say I am now researching a new car purchase. An updated list with compatibilities would be sooo helpful. Anybody want a hot hatch?

Does anyone offer a decent, single-din, surround capable radio/CD player that can support both matrix and discrete formats? Preferably, one that has built-in power for the speakers, since I don't want to go with a separate amp.

Last edited:
Oh man I'm getting so close to a real, killer surround system in my car... Just waffling a bit trying to decide if my alternator is up to the task. I really don't want to go that far down the rabbit-hole on an older vehicle...

Oh man I'm getting so close to a real, killer surround system in my car... Just waffling a bit trying to decide if my alternator is up to the task. I really don't want to go that far down the rabbit-hole on an older vehicle...
Ask Crutchfield.

I have surround in my Acura. I use flac files I have converted from sacd, DVD and Blu-ray albums. Also a few dts CD I converted to play as flac. For those that are interested I use dvd-a extractor. Foosbar2000, hdsolo and makemkv for my conversions.
Which software works best for which conversions? Has anyone compared Mac vs Windows conversions? Which seems to work best? Getting ready to test drive and thought having my own flash drive would be wise. Thanks.

Does anyone offer a decent, single-din, surround capable radio/CD player that can support both matrix and discrete formats? Preferably, one that has built-in power for the speakers, since I don't want to go with a separate amp.

In a nutshell, no. Sorry. There was a Sony unit a few years ago that did some forms of surround, but it is discontinued and very hard to find used. I searched exhaustively years ago before replacing the system in my truck. I didn't want an overpriced used stereo for that. I did find the ones available in the Acura but couldn't find a dealer that would sell me one or even order it for an F250. I should have lied, lol. But iirc it was about $3500 for just the head unit. I wasn't spending that much anyway.

My Cadillac CTS has DVD capable surround (DVD-A & DTS) and sounds decent with the Bose system. It will do pseudo surround through Sirius, but I hardly drive it and am too cheap to pay for it since that is all I would use it for. Maybe in the future...

Regardless, as of now it is not an aftermarket option unless you could find a dealer or junkyard willing to part with one. I didn't have luck with that option, but I live at the end of the eastern side of the country in a small town area for many miles. Closest cities are Baltimore and DC and they are 2 hour drives and Google wasn't much help finding anyone there to ask.

Good luck.

In a nutshell, no. Sorry. There was a Sony unit a few years ago that did some forms of surround, but it is discontinued and very hard to find used. I searched exhaustively years ago before replacing the system in my truck. I didn't want an overpriced used stereo for that. I did find the ones available in the Acura but couldn't find a dealer that would sell me one or even order it for an F250. I should have lied, lol. But iirc it was about $3500 for just the head unit. I wasn't spending that much anyway.

My Cadillac CTS has DVD capable surround (DVD-A & DTS) and sounds decent with the Bose system. It will do pseudo surround through Sirius, but I hardly drive it and am too cheap to pay for it since that is all I would use it for. Maybe in the future...

Regardless, as of now it is not an aftermarket option unless you could find a dealer or junkyard willing to part with one. I didn't have luck with that option, but I live at the end of the eastern side of the country in a small town area for many miles. Closest cities are Baltimore and DC and they are 2 hour drives and Google wasn't much help finding anyone there to ask.

Good luck.
Sony MEX-DV2000, if you can find one does SACD and DTS as well as Dolby PL2, I now have 2 of them, one for a spare.

I'm a bit of a fanatic. I have two cars with 5.1 DVD-A (The ELS system). A 2012 Acura TL and a 2013 Acura RDX. Bought the cars for the sound systems - thankfully, they are great cars. Meanwhile, I'm anxious about the future. The TL has 100k miles, the RDX has 90k. Won't last forever, and neither will the lasers in the DVD players, I'm guessing. Hoping there will be some way to play full-resolution 5.1 files in a car down the road. Worried that no one will build them because of the various algorithm surround formats that are emerging - which don't live up to the material mixed from the first-generation original master tapes/tracks, IMO. Am I missing something? Or, is this the crux of the problem for old-school, high-res 5.1 fans?

Worried that no one will build them because of the various algorithm surround formats that are emerging - which don't live up to the material mixed from the first-generation original master tapes/tracks, IMO. Am I missing something?

Many recent vehicles can play multichannel FLAC from lossless conversions from DVDA, BDA and SACD discs.

As great as the 5,1 disc players are/were, FLAC files are way more convenient and easier to handle than discs (both in cars and in dedicated media rooms).

I'm a bit of a fanatic. I have two cars with 5.1 DVD-A (The ELS system). A 2012 Acura TL and a 2013 Acura RDX. Bought the cars for the sound systems - thankfully, they are great cars. Meanwhile, I'm anxious about the future. The TL has 100k miles, the RDX has 90k. Won't last forever, and neither will the lasers in the DVD players, I'm guessing. Hoping there will be some way to play full-resolution 5.1 files in a car down the road. Worried that no one will build them because of the various algorithm surround formats that are emerging - which don't live up to the material mixed from the first-generation original master tapes/tracks, IMO. Am I missing something? Or, is this the crux of the problem for old-school, high-res 5.1 fans?
My 2015 TLX will play Lossy 5.1 files. The biggest downside is that it isn't gapless.

We have a 2004 Acura TL with 218K still running great. About 6 months ago I had to replace the head unit due to the 6 disc changer malfunctioning (not loading or unloading due to a disc jam). The older head units are dirt cheap; got one and stripped the changer off it and swapped it in. Enjoy the vehicle and don't sweat the audio gear, the units can be swapped if you have a mechanical failure. [story in another thread in this topic area]

Many recent vehicles can play multichannel FLAC from lossless conversions from DVDA, BDA and SACD discs.

As great as the 5,1 disc players are/were, FLAC files are way more convenient and easier to handle than discs (both in cars and in dedicated media rooms).

I have all of the FLAC files from the 96/24 originals. Which car systems can play them? I've seen some of the problems people have with the new Acura models.

Back