ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What year, make and model of car:
Jaguar, XJ 2010

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed):
Factory fitted

What surround formats can you play:
DTS 640kbps, 6 channel. USB and physical media (DVD-A and DVD)

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others:
B&W system with Audessy is incredible. Wouldn’t waste any time or money with after market gear. Engineered to perfection, has great emotional impact. I feel lucky to have this car / system.

I saw this on a “These Woods Are Haunted” episode last night. They are being chased by a UFO and their radio is acting up. I don’t know the model of the car other than a 70s Ford.
9ED089AB-34AF-4EE1-8F41-F4002505ECB7.jpeg

That would be a 1974-1979 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicle. That looks to be a later unit judging by the digital radio tuner and buttons style.
Did see a few of the older units (analog radio tuner) back in my auto recycling days. My guess would be: 1977-79 Lincoln Town Car

Porsche Cayman 981 (With CDR+ and Sound Pack Plus Options)

Factory fitted - 5.0

Disc - DVD-A with Full MLP Support, DVD and DTS CD
USB -MLP only for multi-channel. Wav Stereo up to 24/192.

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others:
Sounds really good and the lack of sub is made up for by large speakers in the doors. Plenty of volume with factory fit outboard amp. Will play MLP files from USB with up to 5.1 24/96 and also can mix hi-res tracks on to burnt DVD-As using Cirlinca HD-Audio software. DVD-A is old tech but I can convert any high res 5.1 sources I have into lossless 5.1/5.0/4.0 so it is still good.

2014 F11 (LCI) BMW 535D Touring, UK model.

Factory Fitted 10-speaker Harmon Kardon system

Disc - DVD and DTS CD
USB - 6 Channel FLAC files

I don't bother playing any surround from disc in the car. I converted virtually all my surround formats into FLAC, took me many weeks, using different apps depending on the source (Blu Ray, DVD-A, DTS-CD etc etc), but most of it using DVD Audio Extractor. The only discs I have't converted are my SACDs, but I've managed to find duplicates of some of these on DVD-A, DVD or DTS-CD, and converted from there. I have copied over 300 albums in multichannel FLACs onto a 512GB USB SSD drive and they all play perfectly in the car in discreet 5.1 (making sure to turn off the pseudo surround effect, can't remember what BMW call it!). I'm pretty pleased with the sound, some music sounds better than others, but overall I actually prefer listening to surround music in the car than at home!

but overall I actually prefer listening to surround music in the car than at home!
I have a new 2021 Dodge Challenger and I am wanting to put a USB controlled surround system in the car, but seems like a dying breed in cars.
My aftermarket selections seem to only be processors?

I have a new 2021 Dodge Challenger and I am wanting to put a USB controlled surround system in the car, but seems like a dying breed in cars.
My aftermarket selections seem to only be processors?
That will be an engineering project anymore. For over a decade, most dashboards accommodate only proprietary head units so it would require stealth to work around that.

I got back this from Alpine, not sure it was the answer I wanted? Another one of those professionals who don't have the concept of surround.

"We don't have any digital signal processors that can process Pro Logic, DTS, Atmos, etc. That would be extremely rare to find as surround sound like that in a vehicle just doesn't work well and wouldn't be the best way to listen to music."

I got back this from Alpine, not sure it was the answer I wanted? Another one of those professionals who don't have the concept of surround.

"We don't have any digital signal processors that can process Pro Logic, DTS, Atmos, etc. That would be extremely rare to find as surround sound like that in a vehicle just doesn't work well and wouldn't be the best way to listen to music."
Geez Louise! 😑

As if listening in stereo in a car is any better. It's always a compromised listening environment no matter how many or few channels you have.

What a clueless supposition on their part! No experience coming back from them.
Rather Ironic that I have an Alpine 1 DIN space Center Channel speaker in my 4Runner dash!

Rockford-Fosgate system as part of the Mitsubishi Multimedia Communications System in my Mitsubishi Outlander VRX 2010 model. Didn't realise it when I purchased the car. The main player plays DTS CDs in 5.1, but the big surprise was the roof mounted DVD player which can feed its audio back through the main cabin system (MMCS) supports the playback of DVD-Audio discs in both stereo and multichannel surround. In both players the centre channel is phantomed. In 5.1 mode LFE channel is sent to the subwoofer.

A reply like that would really anger me. I can understand the first part but injecting a stupid and unhelpful comment like that at the end just shows complete ignorance!!!

Back