ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What year, make and model of car: 2021 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi

Did you install it yourself: Part me and the bulk done by my audio installer.

What surround formats can you play: All reformatted to FAT32 USB 24 bit, compression 6, KHz varies. SACD, Blu Ray, DTS CD etc. 2.0, 4.0, 5.1. I have a Google spread that I can access from my iPhone and colored/numbered thumb drives. Each drive on average carries 20-25 albums. 11 drives so far.

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: My system (ALL AFTER MARKET), all JL Audio, 2 amps, speakers 3 on dash, 2 front lower side door, 2 rear deck, trunk sub. Home player Cambridge CXU plays all formats. All items mounted in trunk in custom built box. Took a camera Hi Res monitor HDMI connected to player, mounted at front and use the Cambridge remote for access. Connects via infra red emitters. Hard to change while driving, but best I could do.
My system is excellent, in fact the VERY nearfield listening of surround in car can sometimes surpass the home listening. It took 13 months to complete, redid the player 3 times, lots of bugs/fixes, worth it.
I assume only 2021 Challenger in existence able to play REAL surround sound.

This thread is super as many people with new cars and homemade achieve dream listening.

Last edited:

What surround formats can you play: All reformatted to FAT32 USB 24 bit, compression 6, KHz varies. SACD, Blu Ray, DTS CD etc. 2.0, 4.0, 5.1. I have a Google spread that I can access from my iPhone and colored/numbered thumb drives. Each drive on average carries 20-25 albums. 11 drives so far.

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: My system, all JL Audio, 2 amps, speakers 3 on dash, 2 front lower side door, 2 rear deck, trunk sub. Home player Cambridge CXU plays all formats. All items mounted in trunk in custom built box. Took a camera Hi Res monitor HDMI connected to player, mounted at front and use the Cambridge remote for access. Connects via infra red emitters. Hard to change while driving, but best I could do.
My system is excellent, in fact the VERY nearfield listening of surround in car can sometimes surpass the home listening. It took 13 months to complete, redid the player 3 times, lots of bugs/fixes, worth it.

This thread is super as many people with new cars and homemade achieve dream listening.
Are the speakers stock? I am looking for some good ultra powerful 5.25 speakers for my front doors. Currently have Kickers 75w.

What year, make and model of car: 2018 Genesis G80

What surround formats can you play: DVD-Video, DTS-CD, WMA

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: I would rate the system a 7 out of 10, deducting 3 points for not being able to play DVD-Audio or multichannel FLAC files over USB, with the caveat that I have not been able to play those formats or find any documentation about how to do so. If anyone has been able to do so in their Genesis, I would appreciate any information. I have found it difficult to find information about the system, either in the manual, online, or from the dealership.

On the positive side, the surround formats that it does play sound great to my admittedly aging ears. It took me some trial and error to find out how to convert multichannel FLAC files to a format that would play via USB. These are the settings I found that work:
1671216392089.png

Any higher bit rate or sampling would not play for me. I worried that those settings would sound like garbage on the system, but honestly, they sound as good as the discs that I can play. The files are also incredibly small, so I can fit a lot on a USB stick.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the system. There are obviously more capable systems out there, but the cost of the vehicles those come in was a factor in my decision. I would recommend the vehicle and the system to those for whom cost is a factor.

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: My system (ALL AFTER MARKET), all JL Audio, 2 amps, speakers 3 on dash, 2 front lower side door, 2 rear deck, trunk sub. Home player Cambridge CXU plays all formats. All items mounted in trunk in custom built box. Took a camera Hi Res monitor HDMI connected to player, mounted at front and use the Cambridge remote for access. Connects via infra red emitters. Hard to change while driving, but best I could do.

Can you please comment on what JL audio subwoofer driver and enclosure you chose.

Can you please comment on what JL audio subwoofer driver and enclosure you chose.
I purchased and installed this one. Besides my volume control for all the speakers I have an additional sub volume control. Works really great.
It is exactly like I like my subs at home, just enough to fill the bottom end. As I only have the one in the trunk even when turned up all the way it is not the big giant booming sub that you hear when people like to listen to hip hop with car shaking.
https://www.jlaudio.com/products/sb-d-chlgr-12w3v3-car-audio-stealthbox-94453

I purchased and installed this one. Besides my volume control for all the speakers I have an additional sub volume control. Works really great.
It is exactly like I like my subs at home, just enough to fill the bottom end. As I only have the one in the trunk even when turned up all the way it is not the big giant booming sub that you hear when people like to listen to hip hop with car shaking.
https://www.jlaudio.com/products/sb-d-chlgr-12w3v3-car-audio-stealthbox-94453
Thanks. I am looking to add an extra subwoofer to my car. I recently bought this driver:
https://stereointegrity.com/product/sql-series/
12" D4 with carbon fiber. I don't have any experience with this or making subwoofers in general. I am going to have a sealed box made for it. I am curious to see how it turns out.

Here’s a surprise. My new Ford Everest plays MCH FLAC and .m4a Atmos files from my iPhone via Apple CarPlay!

I copied some test files/albums onto a usb key with a lightning connector at one end (usb at other) from my PC and they all play in surround, quads and 5.1 FLAC too! USB key plugged into the iPhone using the free Sandisk app.

I had our 4x4 ceramic coated and a 130 litre extended range fuel tank fitted this week:

View attachment 86347

Hot damn, Garry! That's a BEAUTY!! It looks like it was well worth waiting for, and to find out all of it's MultiChannel capabilities! Incredible. After all you've been through with the construction and other assorted distractions these past few years, it's great that you can now escape in this reward and be surrounded by your hard work and great tunes.

Best of luck with it. Very very nice!!!

Last edited:
if you have a car with a factory installed surround system or one you installed yourself (DVD-Audio, SACD, DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, Q8 or something else), please respond to this thread and tell us:

What year, make and model of car: 2015 Acura RDX

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Factory

What surround formats can you play: DVD-A and DTS

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: Excellent....especially on those long trips. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Answering that question asked a bit earlier.. the only car I know that came with the factory installed DVD-Audio player was the mid-2000s Infinity M35 and Acuras ( no SACD system that I'm aware of). Infiniti had Bose Studio Surround (with the headrest speakers) & Acura had the ELS system named after Elliot Scheiner. I don't know about the Acura but I own a BSS infiniti and the sound is pretty darn good for factory.

My self installed surround sound 5.1 is outrageously awesome. 2021 Challenger R/T 5.7 A8. Plays everything all USB. I do have to reformat anything over 24/48, it will play up to anything 24/96 and even DSD 68 but then I can only put about 2-4 albums on one drive, I like to put about 10-12 albums on one drive. I made a Google spread sheet with my numbered drives that has all the albums so I just look at the Google on my phone and look and see what I feel like.
DSC_0005.JPG

IMNSHO, most cars are roo noisy to bother with good audio, at least the ones I’ve had. The noise floor, even with my tinnitus, makes it a poor listening environment. Of course, my aste in vehicles does not lean toward the “isolate you from the world” models. I like three pedals, I like the windows down, I like the top open, I like the exhaust note.

All three vehicles have stereo systems, all with four speakers, but none are any good as listening environments. Cars are fun to DRIVE! I can understand sitting in a parking lot listening to good music on a good system, but if it’s not moving, the reason I’m in a car is because I’m tinkering with something.

I’m in agreement on the environment and ambient noise - it’s not conducive to critical listening like my home is. I love having 5.1 in my Honda Odyssey especially since upgrading the sub but most of my money will go into the home Atmos system.

The effects of surround for me are best realized when my eyes are closed. It’s like doing LSD without doing LSD (which I haven’t touched since Oct.08.1994 lol)

I like the windows down, I like the top open, I like the exhaust note.
My car is loud and fast, I struggle with this all the time, do I listen to my car, windows down, exhaust or music, fortunately with all the interior sound wrap I did, and a new car with tight windows, etc, when I want to listen to music, it's real good. Sometimes I let it all hang out windows down and music.
You have a controlled environment with the ability to fine tune the audio system for each model.
Exactly, I actually installed a home unit SACD/Blu Ray Cambridge CXU player, I use the front USB in, the player is in my trunk. I have a 10'JL Audio USB connector, I installed a camera screen at front dash that is connected HDMI back to the player, so I can adjust all speaker levels within the player, plus the DSP app for the JLAudio amps, it is all pretty sweet. Maybe some of the naysayers are talking about the surround setting that comes with many new cars, that is not true surround listening. With my set up I can listen to stereo, 4.0, 5.1, everything with or without LFE, no Atmos.

I want to add a comment about car listening, yes you do deal with road noise and glass reflection, but this is not the 1960's, audio in cars now is very advanced with a DSP control where you can get past all the imperfections. The work is in the research and the know how, plus a bit of money. As most of us listen to USB inputs, that is a fair amount of work also, having to reformat for the car's player, which ever one you may have.

I will finish with, the ultimate nearfield listening of a quality surround sound system in a car is mind blowing. I hear the same music in the car that I do at home and there are ways of hearing the music in the car that is different/better than in the home. Unless you have had the experience of listening to music in a car, say at least 2 hours, 3 mins in a parking lot does not qualify, a person can just not say that car surround listening is rubbish.
I guarantee everyone reading this thread that actually have surround in there car will agree with me.

Back