Rolling Stones “GRRR!” Live in Atmos on BD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, I would have preferred them revisit the original "Grrr" release and re-release the studio versions in Atmos. I have never been a fan of live Stones. Whenever I listen to live versions of Stones songs it just makes me want to pull out the studio version of whatever song I am listening to. I find Jagger's vocals too rough and sloppy compared to the studio counterpart. Still, for under $40, I will have to buy it.

Blu~ray.com's review of the Rolling Stones Grrr LIVE:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Rolling-Stones-GRRR-Live-Blu-ray/328233/#Review
71-nkrMRPeL._SL1500_.jpg

Mike, it HAS to be better than the Stones' Rock 'n Roll Circus in which the 'advertised' ATMOS mix was PURE MONO!
Unfortunately, not so much... anyone else listen to this? (EDIT: yep, I second what @marpow said) The "Atmos" audio stream certainly tells the AVR that it's Atmos and registers as such, but it's not even close. There's nothing in the heights whatsoever, like to the point that I had to put on some other stuff to make sure I didn't have wires that came loose or something, I was so baffled... nothing in the center, nothing in the sides. It's a quad setup at best and what's in the rears doesn't add much of anything except some very light ambience.

The 5.1 mix is way better—still nothing too discreet in the center or rears but at least more of a sense of actually being in surround and having some presence. Disappointing from that standpoint, especially because the Atmos mix is what prompted me to give it a shot.

But, the silver lining is that I can't imagine I would have bought this otherwise, having very little interest in later-era Stones and having passed up multiple opportunities to see them myself... I was pigheaded about that, and certainly wish I had done that before Charlie passed because now I am all but certain I won't... but also, I feel a little regretful even more so now because this concert is damn enjoyable and way more than simply "competent". We've all heard it before but now I believe it for myself, the Stones could still bring it, at the very least in 2012 when this was filmed. I daresay that Lady Gaga and Mick destroying "Gimme Shelter" gave me some tingles—absolutely fantastic.

Back