Rolling Stones 40th Anniversary of “TATTOO YOU” Atmos on Tidal & Apple Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmithers

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
[Mod note: threads split from the original Rolling Stones 40th Anniversary of “TATTOO YOU” released in October thread covering the non-surround CD box set.]

It looks like there is a surround version after all?! :) Well the bonus track is so hopefully the original album will be too. Dolby Atmos mix done by Stan Kybert?

Living In The Heart Of Love

600x600bb-4.jpg

Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/196316501
Apple Music - Tattoo You (Super Deluxe) by The Rolling Stones

It looks like there is a surround version after all?! :) Well the bonus track is so hopefully the original album will be too. Dolby Atmos mix done by Stan Kybert?

Living In The Heart Of Love

View attachment 70804

Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/196316501
Apple Music - Tattoo You (Super Deluxe) by The Rolling Stones
Living In The Heart Of Love from Super Deluxe on Apple:
Super weak Dolby Atmos, heights barely active. No Center chanell activity at all.
Super Deluxe has 46 songs, none are playable yet on Apple except only the one, not so good Dolby Atmos

Look at the post above yours... :unsure:
Yep looks like its streaming only. I'd imagine it could also on Amazon Music as well as Tidal and Apple Music? Whilst there have been some initial 6 month exclusivity windows for certain albums, I doubt that one streaming service would be able to purchase the rights outright? Even for a company as big as Apple! But we'll see I guess. I hope not just for the competition.

Not been able to check out the Atmos mix on this song yet, but it doesn't sound encouraging. Hopefully the proper album gets more of a surround workout. :cool:

Yep looks like its streaming only. I'd imagine it could also on Amazon Music as well as Tidal and Apple Music? Whilst there have been some initial 6 month exclusivity windows for certain albums, I doubt that one streaming service would be able to purchase the rights outright? Even for a company as big as Apple! But we'll see I guess. I hope not just for the competition.

Not been able to check out the Atmos mix on this song yet, but it doesn't sound encouraging. Hopefully the proper album gets more of a surround workout. :cool:
95% of the interest in most albums is in the first 6 months. So who cares after that.

Nevertheless we certainly see exclusivity with video...how long before audio streaming services start partnering with labels and bands and begin bankrolling audio production costs in exchange for long term streaming exclusivity? I say sooner than later.

I’m sure the deluxe album will be on Amazon...in stereo. It’ll be everywhere. But I was only talking about the Atmos mix being exclusive to Apple Music. And Amazon doesn’t do surround...yet. Is it in surround on Tidal?

But my real overriding point was the Atmos mix could be a streaming only deal - with no physical release. Looks like I may have been right.

Get used to it unfortunately.

Checked out on Tidal, wow very poor surround. Maybe that's why they didn't release it in the box. Hang Fire, my favorite song on the album, basically is just piano and backing vocals in the back channels, and the center is silent. It's like a committee mixed the surround, and most wanted everything up front. With such sparse surround channels, the levels are very low, because much louder, it sounds unnatural. No lie, some upmixes blow this away. Very disappointed.

I am very pleased with how the album sounds in Dolby Atmos on Tidal compared to the 24-44 tracks i bought from HDtracks. There are some discrete moments on some songs. But for me the main thing is that the sound quality is better in Dolby Atmos. Suddenly the album is having good bass compared to every version i have heard before. The extra tracks are on some tracks really good with discreet audio. For me this was fantastic to discover but i would really want to have this at least as files to listen too. If someone can download this somehow i would really want it. I can´t say i am satisfied with just renting this album in this audio quality.

I am very pleased with how the album sounds in Dolby Atmos on Tidal compared to the 24-44 tracks i bought from HDtracks. There are some discrete moments on some songs. But for me the main thing is that the sound quality is better in Dolby Atmos. Suddenly the album is having good bass compared to every version i have heard before. The extra tracks are on some tracks really good with discreet audio. For me this was fantastic to discover but i would really want to have this at least as files to listen too. If someone can download this somehow i would really want it. I can´t say i am satisfied with just renting this album in this audio quality.
Well, the stereo 24/44 are squashed beyond belief, so that’s a pretty low bar.

Neverthelesss, I just getting around to listening to the Atmos mix. I don’t know what people expect. A number of the songs are just vocals, bass, drums, and 2 guitar tracks. There’s just not much to most of it.

But I like what they did with what they had. And like many more subtle surround mixes, the louder I listen to it, the better it works. I’m hearing more air, noticably better imaging, and a bigger soundstage than the stereo mix. There is tasteful use of the other speakers when the nature of recording allows for it (Slave and the side 2 songs are nice). I haven’t really listened to the bonus tracks yet.

I don’t need to have - nor do I want - instruments coming discretely from every direction if it doesn’t fit the music or recording. I listen to the music, not my system.

Hi everyone. Hope this is the right place to post this. I'm thinking of switching to Tidal HiFiPlus from Apple Music. AM on Mac and CarPlay is just awful. It also does not work with Roon. So I'm testing out Tidal and all was well in car and on Mac and wonderful with Roon. But then I added the Tidal App via my Apple TV (latest version) and it's pretty bad. Just finding which albums were Atmos was ridiculous. Then some songs cut off the first 2 seconds of the song. Some blast thru the speakers and some could barely hear, fussing with the remote constantly.
I searched The Rolling Stones and the album list just stops dead in the middle. Does not list all the albums. Wanted to find Tattoo You Atmos mix. Nope. So had to go to my iphone and add all the versions, since on the iphone they don't list if it's Atmos or not, go back to app on ATV and had to go thru them again till I found the Atmos one. I mean, really? And Goats Head Soup is not on Tidal in Atmos? Or Abbey Road? Only on Apple?
So I guess my question is, do most of you use AM or any Tidal users who are happy with it or can give me advice if I'm doing something wrong? Seems absurd they can't just list if something is Atmos or not everywhere. And does Apple have most of the exclusives like Beatles and Stones? Thanks so much.
Are you saying that "Tattoo You" was done in Atmos? I didn't hear about that. Or are you just saying you'd like to find the TY album in Atmos because you would like it to be?

I about had heart failure when I first read your post.

Are you saying that "Tattoo You" was done in Atmos? I didn't hear about that. Or are you just saying you'd like to find the TY album in Atmos because you would like it to be?

Tattoo you is in ATMOS on AM. But please don’t have a heart attack as it’s probably the worst mix out there.

Tattoo you is in ATMOS on AM. But please don’t have a heart attack as it’s probably the worst mix out there.
Oh geepers, is it another GM mix?
It's there, but is a shitty mix.
Well thanks for the bad news, as I am not one to kill a messenger, but be glad to know. Get the depression over with so I can move on mentally.

Oh geepers, is it another GM mix?

Well thanks for the bad news, as I am not one to kill a messenger, but be glad to know. Get the depression over with so I can move on mentally.
IDK who mixed it, but sad to hear, yes.

Maybe one of the Tidal folks can chime in if it’s also over there; because doesn’t Tidal sometimes show who mixed the Atmos?

IDK who mixed it, but sad to hear, yes.

Maybe one of the Tidal folks can chime in if it’s also over there; because doesn’t Tidal sometimes show who mixed the Atmos?
It might be a very fast upmix done with the click of a mouse, and "save to folder" type deal and nobody wants to admit the file-rendered job. I'm being cynical, but that's just me. ;):)

Amazon Music has had the Album for weeks in Atmos
One song; (Slave), is NOT in Atmos
Go figure; sound quality is MEH
Would be more interested in Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Exiles, or Sticky Fingers
Still waiting for Disc versions, instead of streaming
Like comparing Apples to Oranges; quality wise

Been there on Apple Music since release date of the Deluxe Edition a few months ago.

It’s not a demo mix (nor is it the worst ever), but it was never going to be. There only so much you could do with it - unless you think you must have something discrete and overt in every channel at all times.

Back