Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One has to wonder if the lack of a legit 5.1 mix that the user can select from the video menu is because the mix was paid for by the Atmos division of Dolby, and that is what they are pushing and that is what they want the public to adopt. The term "5.1" might be something they want to avoid going forward into Atmos as it might have bad connotations in the minds of the buying public.

Just a thought

Quite possibly [that Dolby paid for the ATMOS remix] but if you think 5.1 for Joe Q Public has a negative connotation ...... wouldn't that same public be even MORE confused with the ATMOS moniker {DUH, I thought that was only for MOTION PICTURES].

Last edited:
I just got this set in today and had not read much of this thread for a few days. I have to say I'm thoroughly annoyed that there is not an DTS-HD 5.1 mix on this disc. Did they forget to pay the DTS licensing fee or something?

I just sent an email to Udiscovermusic asking if they were aware of the marketing error, since it's being promoted on their website as having a DTS 5.1 mix.

You can try converting the MKV to M4A (MPEG Audio). I added that option to Music Media Helper yesterday in the Extract Audio from MKV tool:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-for-music-videos-mch-audio.22693/post-512298
I haven’t tested in JRiver but it works in Kodi 19 and Foobar with the ffmpeg component and latest ffmpeg release installed.

Othwise you could try creating MKA files from your MKV.

Edit: M4A files are easily tagged by most programs. MKA files have a complicated tagging structure with limited support by both tagging and playback software. M4A is recommended if JRiver can play them as Atmos (not just the Core TrueHD stream).
I posted on JRiver forum this, lets see if I get a bite?

Does MC26 play Atmos audio files? All speakers?
I have upgraded to an Atmos system and using MKV to rip the audio Atmos, ie; Abbey Road, I have no problem ripping the discs, just is there a specific playback option? In the DSP maybe?

Quite possibly [that Dolby paid for the ATMOS remix] but if you think 5.1 for Joe Q Public has a negative connotation ...... wouldn't that same pubic be even MORE confused with the ATMOS moniker {DUH, I thought that was only for MOTION PICTURES].

No, because 5.1 means you need a receiver, 6 speakers, disc player and a lot of room to many in the general public. "Atmos" can mean that, but it can also mean an amazon box, a sound bar, or some of other special device without the grand connotation.

Also, to add to my previous comment, if the Abbey Road bluray disc is any indication in comparison, the Atmos 5.1 downmix on this Stones' release is definitely a lower bit-rate than a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 presentation would have been. (n)

One has to wonder if the lack of a legit 5.1 mix that the user can select from the video menu is because the mix was paid for by the Atmos division of Dolby, and that is what they are pushing and that is what they want the public to adopt. The term "5.1" might be something they want to avoid going forward into Atmos as it might have bad connotations in the minds of the buying public.

This could be what we will see going forward in future box sets or surround mixes of other artists as Dolby tries to take the market by storm with Atmos.

Just a thought
I have no issue with them pushing ATMOS for adoption, etc...as I'm excited that they are even remixing these in the first place for immersive, which is good for us!

HOWEVER...they marketed and advertised this as having a DTS-MA 5.1 mix. Hopefully in the future they won't mis-represent the product.

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 8.41.15 PM.png

Also, to add to my previous comment, if the Abbey Road bluray disc is any indication in comparison, the Atmos 5.1 downmix on this Stones' release is definitely a lower bit-rate than a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 presentation would have been. (n)
I believe from the @JonUrban screenshot or maybe it was someone else, the bit rate is a paltry 640kbps. :cry:

Edit: True HD will get lossless at a higher bitrate, but those w/o Atmos or TrueHD capability will only get the lossy 5.1 640kbps.

Last edited:
All these formats/codecs are confusing for me and others- here's an explanation from digitaltrends.com; and what my oppo says is being output to my receiver via analog. The audio bit rate is 4.3Mbps.

Dolby offers two different 7.1 surround versions. Dolby Digital Plus is the “lossy” version. Instead of using matrixing, it applies lossy compression to all of the discrete audio channels, which helps to take up less space on a Blu-ray disc. Dolby TrueHD, on the other hand, is lossless. Since no compression is involved, Dolby TrueHD is intended to be identical to the studio master.

DTS also has two 7.1 versions, which differ in the same manner as Dolby’s versions. DTS-HD is a lossy, compressed 7.1 surround format, whereas DTS-Master HD is lossless and meant to be identical to the studio master.

1599606962352.png

I believe from the @JonUrban screenshot or maybe it was someone else, the bit rate is a paltry 640kbps. :cry:

Yes. That was the lossy Dolby Digital Core extracted from the TrueHD stream. Converting the lossless TrueHD 7.1 to FLAC would give a much higher bitrate.

Atmos/TrueHD is lossless and would be the same bit rate as DTS-HDMA @ 48/24. (One could argue the DTS-HDMA may have been at 96/24 but would that be audible?)

BTW: I have yet to see any Atmos stream with > 48kHz.

Yes. That was the lossy Dolby Digital Core extracted from the TrueHD stream. Converting the lossless TrueHD 7.1 to FLAC would give a much higher bitrate.

Atmos/TrueHD is lossless and would be the same bit rate as DTS-HDMA @ 48/24. (One could argue the DTS-HDMA may have been at 96/24 but would that be audible?)

BTW: I have yet to see any Atmos stream with > 48kHz.

Sorry for the confusion, I had meant that for those that are needing the 5.1 "core" they will only get 640kbps rather than the advertised DTS-MA 5.1.

Those able to utilize TrueHD will get the lossless.
goat-Jon-Urban-AudioMux-red-circled.jpg

I also believe that the original recording (Producer & Recording Engineer) and the mastering have as much or more to do with how something like this will sound; it is also a Rock album after all, from '72 - '73. I'm reminded by the Layla recording, that always sounded muddy to me until that Elliot Scheiner box release.

What I'd like to know about, is how the down mix is formulated from the Atmos / 7.1 to 5.1. Is it some basic embedded data or is it a designed calculation from the mix engineer or just standardized by codec specs and the associated DACs. etc.

Last edited:
What I'd like to know about, is how the down mix is formulated from the 7.1 to 5.1. Is it some basic embedded data or is it a designed calculation from the mix engineer or just standardized by codec specs and the associated DACs. etc.

I suspect, that the embedded data of the surround back L/R is folded down to the 5.1. Just as the Atmos "objects" can be folded down to 7.1 or 5.1 or 2.0. Just my -5 cent guess :cool:

I'm here looking at the DSP studio in JRiver and you can set up to 32 channels, also they have 5.1 channels inside a 7.1 container, whatever that means?
I'll figure it out next week.
I like things neat and tidy, I have two JRiver players, which they call zones. I know I don't need multiple zones but I like it that way. With my new 5.1.4 system I'll create a designated Atmos zone/player.

It's pretty sad
when you need seven speakers to get an almost interesting surround mix made from studio multitracks,
and it's still worse than what you can usually get from a penteo or some other upmixing system
made from 2 tracks and going through either 4 or 5 speakers.

The thing that I don't understand is the record companies have been losing their shirt since Napster and here comes a format that can better that listening experience and what do the record companies do with it, they fuk it up?

This makes no sense to me. It's a Grand wasted opportunity for more sales and they don't even acknowledge it.

It's like a fiduciary neglect to the shareholders.

Blasphemy

Back