Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My AVR's dB setup screen showing the 7 speaker placement + sub. I think I'm confusing my Sony's labeling of 5.1.2 which technically is 7.1. So I should be good but will only find out once my GHS arrives.

IMG_0057.jpeg

I found some more info over on Reddit. I was essentially correct 5.1.2 is basically 7.1 except that 5.1.2 assumes front height speakers whereas 7.1 means two extra rear surround speakers. I was confused by what Sony uses in their AVR setup. For Atmos having front height speakers gives a more atmospheric audio experience especially if they are at ceiling / down-firing (not my case but c'est la vie). Someday I'll invest in a 7.1.2 (9.1) system but for now my full range rear towers are great.

Ah!, Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure I tried all combinations of pcm, bitstream, also playing through HDMI and the analogs out on the Oppo but I'll give it another shot.
Same results. No audio through pcm.

I'm settling into this mix. I don't have the optimal setup, so I resort to Audyssey to make room corrections. Large vaulted ceiling with in-wall Polk speakers. In the sweet spot, Coming Down Again is quite spacious and open. Doo Doo Doo could have had a bit more drive from the back going forward, but otherwise it is fine to my ears in 5.1.

I think overall Giles did a nice job of removing the top layer of muck in the original mix to let tracks like Can't You Hear the Music breathe.

Same results. No audio through pcm.

I'm settling into this mix. I don't have the optimal setup, so I resort to Audyssey to make room corrections. Large vaulted ceiling with in-wall Polk speakers. In the sweet spot, Coming Down Again is quite spacious and open. Doo Doo Doo could have had a bit more drive from the back going forward, but otherwise it is fine to my ears in 5.1.

I think overall Giles did a nice job of removing the top layer of muck in the original mix to let tracks like Can't You Hear the Music breathe.

USB input on the 7.1 FLAC'S lock up your Oppo? I don't think you specified in your original post the input. I don't remember anyone else with this particular issue?

listened again......have my old album like the songs but the magic of the doobies makes this mix pale in comparison.
The Stones always had a grungy sound so I am ok with the fidelity not audiophile but it sounds clear enough for me.
I taped my old record to cassette and lived with that for years.
I have yet to get to the extras.
Watched one of the videos made me smile the 70s......
I think we will be better off playing the high rez stereo and synthesizing it to surround.

The three bonus songs are not wearing that well to me second time around

The larger issue that I see is that the GHS deluxe box blu ray was advertised as having a DTS MA 5.1, so @Bob Vosgien is right to complain about the lack thereof. Blatent false advertising or misrepresenting the product at a minimum.

View attachment 56246
So I guess the record company is in major SHIT and they are going to have to go back and REMASTER all the BLU-RAY discs and then send them out to everyone who bought them as REPLACEMENT discs or face a MAJOR LAWSUIT!!!......Now that would be an interesting trial to watch indeed!!:love::love::love:

Actually a good sentence even though I dont think the band themselves are at fault.....instead of doing a concert for the BLIND CNIB in Oshawa Ontario. Canada.... or maybe this time give a concert for the DEAF.......or give everyone the next Stones Box Set SDE FREE to everyone who purchased GHS! Hopefully it'll be "Sticky Fingers" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Menu music is loud AF. Otherwise, enjoyed the album and bonus tracks in Atmos, and the videos too, in plain Jane stereo.

I'm sort of scratching my head over some comments. Fidelity is on par with the original album mix, which is a bit lo-fi, IMO. Plenty of surround/immersive activity for my taste.
BGVs, extra guitars, string ensembles, keys of various kinds, all make fairly frequent appearances or reside back (and up) there.
I think what most people are complaining about is the lack of a 5.1 MA Soundtrack which actually was advertised

If some one is making a list of complaints, besides my dissatisfaction with the posters, horrible, what about the stupid book glued to the package, who does that, stupidest thing ever, you have to be standing up at a table to read the book.

Markie, if EVER there was a time to take up Speed Reading! Yeah, it was ridiculous!

Markie, if EVER there was a time to take up Speed Reading! Yeah, it was ridiculous!
For sure, I have only listened to the live CD which was great, but the whole package is the worst I have ever seen. I am saving my listen of the surround for the new rig, started setting up today, seats are in and TV on wall. Nothing connected, lots of work.

For sure, I have only listened to the live CD which was great, but the whole package is the worst I have ever seen. I am saving my listen of the surround for the new rig, started setting up today, seats are in and TV on wall. Nothing connected, lots of work.

Markie, since you bought the Japanese edition, was the blu ray audio disc also manufactured in Japan? And yes, while Disc 3 [Brussells Affair] was awesome, cannot understand why RBCD discs 1 & 2 were 'brickwalled' with LOW DR Numbers. Doesn't make a lick of sense!

And as another QQ poster suggested: Since Bob Clearmountain remastered The Brussels Affair RBCD, he usually creates his own 5.1 remixes [for personal use] and it would've been nice if THAT was included on the BD~A disc, as well, in lossless audio!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Markie, since you bought the Japanese edition, was the blu ray audio disc also manufactured in Japan? And yes, while Disc 3 [Brussells Affair] was awesome, cannot understand why RBCD discs 1 & 2 were 'brickwalled' with LOW DR Numbers. Doesn't make a lick of sense!

And as another QQ poster suggested: Since Bob Clearmountain remastered The Brussells Affair RBCD, he usually creates his own 5.1 remixes [for personal use] and it would've been nice if THAT was included on the BD~A disc, as well, in lossless audio!!!!!!!
The SHM CD's had no higher DR values than the RBCD's which is typical, but all I can say is I only own one version and it sounds super. The DR values on the SHM CD are mostly 7's and 8's which to some can be horrible on paper but it's ears that count, and my beautiful freind Ralphie, you have four, double your/my pleasure.

USB input on the 7.1 FLAC'S lock up your Oppo? I don't think you specified in your original post the input. I don't remember anyone else with this particular issue?
The Oppo did lock up when the entire directory was 7.1. When I removed all but 1 7.1 and replaced the rest with the converted 5.1, the Oppo tried to play the 7.1, then just advanced and successfully played the 5.1s

Back