Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to purchase Goats Head Soup boxset for the Blu ray disc but everyones complaints have scared me off. According to the responses of members: first the boxset is very high priced. Next the Atmos mix is more of the immersive type, not very discreet, low vol. in rear surround speakers. I have an 7.4.2 Atmos system so the missing DTS 5.1 mix wouldn’t affect me. The cds look like they were brickwall mastered. I also have the GHS Virgin cd.
I have plenty of great discreet surround mixes so it seems I wouldn’t play the Goats Head Soup Atmos surround mixes much anyways if there wasn’t much rear speaker action/volume in the mix.
Have I missed anything about this release? I was looking forward to a Giles Martin Atmos mix similar to Abbey Road but this seems to be a misstep.

Same results. No audio through pcm.

I'm settling into this mix. I don't have the optimal setup, so I resort to Audyssey to make room corrections. Large vaulted ceiling with in-wall Polk speakers. In the sweet spot, Coming Down Again is quite spacious and open. Doo Doo Doo could have had a bit more drive from the back going forward, but otherwise it is fine to my ears in 5.1.

I think overall Giles did a nice job of removing the top layer of muck in the original mix to let tracks like Can't You Hear the Music breathe.
I tried the ripped 7.1 files via front USB on my Oppo 205 last night (analog out direct to AVR) and it just skipped through them very slowly. I guess there’s some kind of flac channel limitation on oppos. I haven’t found anything online about it yet. So I’ll either have to downmix all the files to 5.1 (I only have a 5.1 system anyway) or just use the whole MKV file which should play it. Just another reason to not like the omission of dedicated 5.1 DTS files on this release.

I was going to purchase Goats Head Soup boxset for the Blu ray disc but everyones complaints have scared me off. According to the responses of members: first the boxset is very high priced. Next the Atmos mix is more of the immersive type, not very discreet, low vol. in rear surround speakers. I have an 7.4.2 Atmos system so the missing DTS 5.1 mix wouldn’t affect me. The cds look like they were brickwall mastered. I also have the GHS Virgin cd.
I have plenty of great discreet surround mixes so it seems I wouldn’t play the Goats Head Soup Atmos surround mixes much anyways if there wasn’t much rear speaker action/volume in the mix.
Have I missed anything about this release? I was looking forward to a Giles Martin Atmos mix similar to Abbey Road but this seems to be a misstep.

You must always make up your own mind about things!

Listening in 5.1 there is plenty of action in the rear speakers. Whether or not you like that action is up to you. And whether or not you like the overpowering ambience and resultant lack of focus is up to you.

I like only one track on the LP. But I like it enough to spend the requisite amount just to get it in 5.1. I've loved Star Star since 1973. And during those 47 years (forgive me if my arithmetic is incorrect!) I hadn't noticed that there is a piano in the mix. Imagine my surprise when I skip straight through to the track and find that a piano has appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, at high volume in the rear speakers. Rather like The Rolling Stones upfront and Mrs Mills in the rears.

Hence my suspicion as to just how compatible the 7.1 Atmos really is, and wondering just what the advertised DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 might have sounded like.

You must always make up your own mind about things!

Listening in 5.1 there is plenty of action in the rear speakers. Whether or not you like that action is up to you. And whether or not you like the overpowering ambience and resultant lack of focus is up to you.

I like only one track on the LP. But I like it enough to spend the requisite amount just to get it in 5.1. I've loved Star Star since 1973. And during those 47 years (forgive me if my arithmetic is incorrect!) I hadn't noticed that there is a piano in the mix. Imagine my surprise when I skip straight through to the track and find that a piano has appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, at high volume in the rear speakers. Rather like The Rolling Stones upfront and Mrs Mills in the rears.

Hence my suspicion as to just how compatible the 7.1 Atmos really is, and wondering just what the advertised DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 might have sounded like.
I like very discreet mixes, not ambient style surround mixes. Is GHS more discrete in the rear channels or more ambient ie more front speaker heavy? I do not want for my system to adjust the volume for different surround discs as I have it dialed in using Anthem Arc Genesis room correction. I found when I started down the path of adjusting disc volume level for individual discs I was constantly fiddling with vol. levels. JMHO

I tried the ripped 7.1 files via front USB on my Oppo 205 last night (analog out direct to AVR) and it just skipped through them very slowly. I guess there’s some kind of flac channel limitation on oppos. I haven’t found anything online about it yet. So I’ll either have to downmix all the files to 5.1 (I only have a 5.1 system anyway) or just use the whole MKV file which should play it. Just another reason to not like the omission of dedicated 5.1 DTS files on this release.
Will the Oppo play in 7.1 via the network, so direct off your PC? I'm sure I've played a 7.1 from my NAS through the Oppo, but a bit late to try now.

Had the same experience on my Oppo 103D through USB. Wouldn't play 7.1 FLAC. Also tried M4A wrapper with untouched 7.1 Atmos DD TrueHD, also no luck. Haven't tested over network yet...

USB input on the 7.1 FLAC'S lock up your Oppo? I don't think you specified in your original post the input. I don't remember anyone else with this particular issue?
It locked up my 105D when I tried it with Abbey Road & the REM atmos disc. I haven’t tried it with Goats Head Soup, but I would expect the same.

I also tried Music Media Helper to fold the 7.1 flacs down to 5.1 flacs, but I keep getting exact 7.1 flac copies rather than 5.1 folds. So no luck there so far.

It locked up my 105D when I tried it with Abbey Road & the REM atmos disc. I haven’t tried it with Goats Head Soup, but I would expect the same.

I also tried Music Media Helper to fold the 7.1 flacs down to 5.1 flacs, but I keep getting exact 7.1 flac copies rather than 5.1 folds. So no luck there so far.

My 103D didn't lock up but they didn't play either. Tried both pcm flac 7.1 and M4A Atmos True HD. Might try network later including Plex and smb shares...

As far as I know, KBFH only ever sent out SQ-encoded reels so the discrete 4 channel master that perished in the fire was probably the only copy anywhere.

From what I understand, some stations were given discrete four-channel reels of shows. I don't know all the details regarding which stations, which shows, etc., but I have a few transfers of shows that are definitely discrete. I believe Quadtrade had some of those original reels, but he ultimately sold them off. He might be able to chime in about them.

View attachment 56003

I noticed the same thing in the 7.1 of “Heartbreaker” - the horns are in both sets of rear channels. So are they actually being heard at too loud a volume on the folded-down 5.1?

The horns are definitely way too loud in the rears on my 5.1 fold-down listening experience. It is very jarring and ruins the song.

From what I understand, some stations were given discrete four-channel reels of shows. I don't know all the details regarding which stations, which shows, etc., but I have a few transfers of shows that are definitely discrete. I believe Quadtrade had some of those original reels, but he ultimately sold them off. He might be able to chime in about them.

I think @Bob Romano can speak to this more directly as I think he's had experience with these reels, but I think it turns out that even the ones labelled 4-track or 4-channel (I can't remember exactly) were basically still SQ-encoded stereo, with the left channel on 2 of the 4 tracks, and the right channel on the other two.

Here's a look at the CD files of Tumbling Dice on Brussels Affair (overall CD DR "6" & the Red lines on the wave forms are Clipping):

GHS-BA-CD.jpg

GHS-BA-CD-TD-WF.jpg

The Goat has finally landed. Interestingly I don't see anywhere on the outside packaging (including the hype sticker) that suggests a dedicated 5.1 mix other than compatibility which is stating the Dolby Atmos standard. I doubt whoever produced this release would be liable for mis-leading consumers. The Rolling Stones website on the other hand does indicate a dedicated 5.1DTS mix..I'll give the BD disc a listen tonight and post my review.

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0071.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 137
The Goat has finally landed. Interestingly I don't see anywhere on the outside packaging (including the hype sticker) that suggests a dedicated 5.1 mix other than compatibility which is stating the Dolby Atmos standard. I doubt whoever produced this release would be liable for mis-leading consumers. The Rolling Stones website on the other hand does indicate a dedicated 5.1DTS mix..I'll give the BD disc a listen tonight and post my review.
Universal Music can be held liable for not providing what was advertised and misleading advertising. If enough people contact them, they may do a re-pressing with the missing DTS track, and if a lawyer were willing to take this on, could be class action for false advertising.
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 8.41.15 PM.png

OK
Ive had a chance to listen to the outtakes Cd and the Brussels Affair concert. I did this by converting to MP3s and downloading to my phone so take that into consideration. I listen to music with earbuds while I do my 3 mile walks .
Fidelity is fine. In fact the outtakes sound pretty good to me. I am still not enamored with the three extra tracks. I like Criss Cross the best. The alternates however are pretty good. I enjoy hearing more examples of Mick Taylors guitar playing.
The Brussells concert has decent sound no audible examples of distortion to me on my earbuds and they perform well. However after growing up with the Stones album Get Your Ya Yas Out that remains my favorite live album of theirs.
I have not listened to the regular album CD. I understand its brickwalled? Only had this album on vinyl.

Back