Quantcast

Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I absolutely have compared the Abbey road mixes and found them identical to my elderly ears on my system.
I've played back a few of my Atmos albums as Atmos and 7.1. I have absolutely no doubt that Atmos sounds more immersive (7.1.4) vs 7.1 (on the floor). Atmos is a worthwhile upgrade (to me, as a surround music fan). 7.1 was a worthwhile upgrade when I upgraded from 5.1.

Have I ever heard anything in the Atmos mix that I didn't hear in the 7.1 mix? No. The localisation of sounds is different. Atmos is more pleasing and a better surround listen. That's it. I would choose Atmos over 5.1 if I had a choice of releases.

himey

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I've played back a few of my Atmos albums as Atmos and 7.1. I have absolutely no doubt that Atmos sounds more immersive (7.1.4) vs 7.1 (on the floor). Atmos is a worthwhile upgrade (to me, as a surround music fan). 7.1 was a worthwhile upgrade when I upgraded from 5.1.

Have I ever heard anything in the Atmos mix that I didn't hear in the 7.1 mix? No. The localisation of sounds is different. Atmos is more pleasing and a better surround listen. That's it. I would choose Atmos over 5.1 if I had a choice of releases.
I don't think anyone has argued that point?

The rabbit hole is the multitude of systems set up for 5.1 now, and the folks that aren't planning to upgrade to 3D height speakers for a couple handfuls of 3D audio releases.

Does your best Atmos experience trump every 2D listening experience?

himey

Perhaps, but the uncertain aspect of this for me is that Atmos/7.1 downmix doesn't necessarily happen at the same spot in the signal chain for everyone. It seems like most folks here have an older AVR with no Atmos decoder and a 5.1 speaker setup. In that scenario, the downmixing can be done by Blu-Ray player (if set to send decoded PCM to the AVR) or by the AVR (if set to send undecoded bitstream to the receiver). Are those results identical? Another scenario could be a listener with an Atmos-compatible AVR, but only 5 speakers. Is decoded Atmos sent through only five channels the same as the 8-channel TrueHD audio sent though five channels? And is that also the same as the AC3 6-channel core audio?

I don't have the proper gear to make all those comparisons, so I can't say if it makes a difference or not - but it seems unlikely to me that all those extra variables in play would have no impact on what people are hearing. The inclusion of the DTS-HD stream would've guaranteed identical results for all listeners with standard 5.1 systems.

I'm still happy with both the surround mix and fidelity on this one.
Holy crap. Not sure how I missed your post earlier but this is exactly what I was just saying to Garry.

So many permutations that there will never be a consensus on this for those with 5.1 setups, which are the majority. A 5.1 mix direct from the software just streamlines everything and takes the guesswork out of the equation.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
That wasn't my question. Haha.
Then you’re asking to compare the best Atmos mix to best DVD or SACD?

I’m a big fan of discrete mixes and there’s not many discrete Atmos release yet (or for that matter, many Atmos releases at all). So I’d be comparing a hand full vs a truck load. Also content is king, and my favourite surround albums aren’t in Atmos either. Content is a big influencer.

Short answer: Currently I get more out of my best 5.1 and quads than my Atmos albums.

But I still stand by my original comment. I’d rather get an Atmos new release than 5.1 if I had a choice.

northernsoul

I don't think anyone has argued that point?

The rabbit hole is the multitude of systems set up for 5.1 now, and the folks that aren't planning to upgrade to 3D height speakers for a couple handfuls of 3D audio releases.

Does your best Atmos experience trump every 2D listening experience?
Hell to the yes. An example would be; Prometheus from Rhapsody uses the heights brilliantly.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm a 5.1 guy and currently have no plans on upgrading to Atmos due to the expense involved. I can't help but wonder, though, how Atmos is ever going to catch on in a big way when, in addition to the cost and the complicated set-up, there's this much confusion surrounding it in a forum filled with surround experts, lol! My eyes literally started glazing over a couple pages backo_O
I'm so lost. Maybe these are just the growing pains of a new format... was the switch from Quad to 5.1 this controversial?

~dave~~wave~

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I'm a 5.1 guy and currently have no plans on upgrading to Atmos due to the expense involved. I can't help but wonder, though, how Atmos is ever going to catch on in a big way when, in addition to the cost and the complicated set-up, there's this much confusion surrounding it in a forum filled with surround experts, lol! My eyes literally started glazing over a couple pages backo_O
I'm so lost. Maybe these are just the growing pains of a new format... was the switch from Quad to 5.1 this controversial?
I blame the rippers for sowing confusion. :ROFLMAO:

I continue to repeat myself by offering a simple listening test for anyone who can spin [NOT plays files ripped from] the Abbey Road blu ray on a 5.1 system.

Listen to the 5.1 lossless mix, then compare the Atmos mix and see if you hear a difference on your system.
To me, it proves that Atmos is "fully compatible" with 5.1.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I wouldn't worry about the ripping portion of it. If the format catches on (which I seriously doubt), there will eventually be software "out there" which can decode and rip Atmos to a 5.1 format. For right now, there is not enough content to even worry about. In fact, there are probably 50x the options for Atmos equipment than there are for Atmos music releases.

northernsoul

I wouldn't worry about the ripping portion of it. If the format catches on (which I seriously doubt), there will eventually be software "out there" which can decode and rip Atmos to a 5.1 format. For right now, there is not enough content to even worry about. In fact, there are probably 50x the options for Atmos equipment than there are for Atmos music releases.
You can already rip Atmos to 5.1.

northernsoul

The set up is easy mate. No extra issues over 5.1. The costs are more of a problem for many. You could get some wharfedales and use them as overheads and extra rears, that would keep costs down. There will be plenty of Atmos receievers out there in the next few years. Never will it be mainstream.

himey

On another forum a guy compared it to folding down stereo recordings to mono. Haha.

~dave~~wave~

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
On another forum a guy compared it to folding down stereo recordings to mono. Haha.
Yeah, there's so much noise and extraneous nonsense circulating.
Like you, I gave up responding on that thread.

Folks are so convinced they are correct, they get indignant and double down on their mistaken assertions.
Rather than being open to processing new information and possibly coming to a different conclusion.

Oh well, Joe Walsh had a sound philosophy in that regard:

himey

Yeah, there's so much noise and extraneous nonsense circulating.
Like you, I gave up responding on that thread.

Folks are so convinced they are correct, they get indignant and double down on their mistaken assertions.
Rather than being open to processing new information and possibly coming to a different conclusion.

Oh well, Joe Walsh had a sound philosophy in that regard:

I hate to bring up that other thread again, but when I called out one of the members over there because he posted his rip, and declared that because it only has 7.1 tracks, that it isn't Atmos, my post was deleted. WTF! SHF has reached a new low. Even worse than when SH himself called me names, for calling another member's idea to record SACD's using an $800 portable digital recorder stupid. I guess misinformation rules the day there and facts be damned.