Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Huh, well why didn't we get that KBFH SQ Quad mix? 😒
I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but all the original (SQ-encoded) KBFH masters burned up in a warehouse fire sometime around 1982, so it doesn't exist anymore. All that would be left would be the 7 1/2ips tape copies sent out to radio stations, which are probably 2 or 3 generations down from that original master, which is presumably why they decided to do a stereo remix from the multis for this set. Sometime in the mid-90s the new KBFH rights holders discovered that all the original multitracks survived as they were stored separately from the mixed masters, so all the KBFH released digitally since then has been from new remixes from those multis.

I'm not sure if KBFH made a discrete 4-channel master at the time that they did their SQ-encoded 2 channel versions (or if the SQ version was derived from a discrete master) but I guess it's a moot point anyway as those tapes would've burned up as well, and DIR (KBFH's pa,rent company) only sent out SQ-encoded reels to radio stations so there aren't even any lower-quality backup copies.

I'm guessing the Stones probably had the original Brussels multitrack in their archives given that they had their own mobile recording unit (the Rolling Stones Mobile, which was used for all sorts of location recording from Deep Purple's Machine Head to the O'Jays and Billy Paul live albums) and it seems likely that it would've been used to record the Brussels gig, especially since Jagger was involved in the original mixing.

whatsmyname4

I blame the rippers for sowing confusion. :ROFLMAO:

I continue to repeat myself by offering a simple listening test for anyone who can spin [NOT plays files ripped from] the Abbey Road blu ray on a 5.1 system.

Listen to the 5.1 lossless mix, then compare the Atmos mix and see if you hear a difference on your system.
To me, it proves that Atmos is "fully compatible" with 5.1.
On my 5.1 system the Dolby Atmos layer on the Abbey Road blu ray plays slightly louder than the DTS layer. All Dolby audio files typically play at a slightly louder, usually more compressed volume on my receiver compared to the DTS layer. It's not a subtle difference to my ears, it's an audible difference. It's some sort of Dolby encoding preset that seems to click on when I engage the Dolby audio option. For that reason I usually prefer DTS on my receiver, when it's a playback option. That's just from standard playback from a Sony bluray player to an Onkyo receiver via an hdmi cable.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:

CPR

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Ok, it's 5.1; kind of subdued; not great dynamic range, or separation
better than nothing, but.............
Some tracks better than others; sound wise
Thoughts?

~dave~~wave~

900 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Ok, it's 5.1; kind of subdued; not great dynamic range, or separation
better than nothing, but.............
Some tracks better than others; sound wise
Thoughts?
Could you kindly clarify, are the first three lines before the question your conclusions after buying and listening to it?

I won't dispute what you wrote other than the first statement.
It's not, in fact, "5.1. "
It's Atmos. :eek:
Don't get me started, I'll change the subject now.

I've already expressed some thoughts, but I could keep going if you're truly interested.
  • It's remarkable a re-mix of 1973 Stones got such a wide range of ratings.
  • Two of the "4" votes are from respected industry insiders
  • The founder of the forum voted 5
Buyer beware, but I'm happy with it.

I play it more often and enjoy it more than half of what I own, including the Beatles and Lennon.
I spun it again this morning, and took great delight in the Billy Preston clavinet.
Multiple layers of piano from Nicky Hopkins and Stu in multichannel is a treat.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 2.47.38 PM.png

Old Quad Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
First impression listing to this on about 10 year old receiver and Blu-ray player, was that it reminds one of the Living Stereo 3 channel SACD presentations. You could discern individual instruments, just not too much into the whole room, except occasionally. Don’t own a Atmos receiver yet, haven’t ripped tracks to look at them. So, not voting here. Curious if 5.1 downmix sounds different with a 5.1 Atmos setup.

The cardboard that is around the box set when first received, isn’t fit for shipping. It needs to be shipped in another box. I paid roughly $70 bucks with Amazon’s 3 for 2 sale. The box set the discs are in come off as cheaply made. The book isn’t printed on shiny paper, and the pages seem like they’re about to come unglued. For $70 such things don’t matter. For $150, they do.

Would like to see more titles, except with also a separate, dedicated 5.1 mix that uses all the speakers properly. Next time, put out a better product.

Perpendicular

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The votes are over the place in the Poll. I have been waiting for the price on this set to come way down before a purchase but now, I’m really not sure if it’s a good purchasing decision. I‘m off to read the Poll Thread...

CPR

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Could you kindly clarify, are the first three lines before the question your conclusions after buying and listening to it?

I won't dispute what you wrote other than the first statement.
It's not, in fact, "5.1. "
It's Atmos. :eek:
Don't get me started, I'll change the subject now.

I've already expressed some thoughts, but I could keep going if you're truly interested.
  • It's remarkable a re-mix of 1973 Stones got such a wide range of ratings.
  • Two of the "4" votes are from respected industry insiders
  • The founder of the forum voted 5
Buyer beware, but I'm happy with it.

I play it more often and enjoy it more than half of what I own, including the Beatles and Lennon.
I spun it again this morning, and took great delight in the Billy Preston clavinet.
Multiple layers of piano from Nicky Hopkins and Stu in multichannel is a treat.

View attachment 65913
Should have said Surround, compatible, with 5.1, & 7.1; still giving it a 5, after a thorough listen on my 17 speaker Acura/ELS 700 watt system
Just didn't 'WOW" me!

mrcond

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter

Old Quad Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure your order is double boxed on this one. The flimsy cardboard surrounding this box set is poor and only meant to protect the product, presumably, and certainly not meant for shipping.

The discs were alright (so far), but the rest of this is fairly lacking for a major artist like the Stones. For $70 I’m good with this. Otherwise, one might want to wait for Amazon’s 3 for the price of 2 sale, if it happens again.

Infomas

Snood

Staff member
Yeah - Snood bit after returning it at release (twice lol) - I had 20 bux in Amazon promotions 10 and 10 and another 40 in Bing point bux - so got it down to 29 and yeah at that price point. Snood is in - thing is I saw it by mistake and have had it in my watch list - it got down to 97 once. but nah.

When I happen to check amazon days and flash sales/music went whaaaaa 4 hours left and at 97 percent sold - started doing math and said Yepperz :rocks