Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, the rear chans have some action going on but need that super deluxe BOOST to really work out right.
Yes you are right, after an "super deluxe BOOST " on the back speakers this record sounds amazing :)
It is a shame that this trick is needed but as i have said this is what we got and if it is possible to improve it yourself then do it.

Amazon like to play around with the number of units in hand. They claim 1 left and then that sells and another is available. Then two or three more. Then all gone sold out, or price goes back to $129.00 for the real last few in hand.

The issue I had is that I’m a big Stones fan and collector and I wanted the “clear vinyl” LP set, I wanted the BluRay disc, and I wanted the Brussels ‘73 concert on LP. To get these things would require purchase of all formats. And the full retail prices was a bit to much, especially since I’ve been trying to sell some things off and not purchase so many new things. And I own about four copes of the album as is.

But with this nice markdown I can get everything I wanted here after all.
These packages are done well and the book will be nice to have as well.
Sort of in the same boat as you. In all these super duper deluxe editions, really my only focus is the multichannel disc. The extras are nice, but saving the cash for a standalone disc would be better and truthfully almost all these sets I’ve never played anything but the star of the show, the 5.1 disc. Though I am looking forward to the Brussels Affair. Glad we could get this release without raiding the piggy bank.

As far as Amazon playing games with prices and quantities, I’m shocked that I am being manipulated like that. I mean, I try to decipher my cable bill and I might as well be trying to understand quantum physics. Make a few buck on me, I like to make a buck here and there myself, I just don’t enjoy feeling like I have been ripped off. And some of these deluxe editions just feel bloated. After my little mini rant, I’m now ready to admit I’ll gladly be a sucker again and buy, buy, buy. And if Animals ever gets released in 5.1 I’ll pawn stuff off like in the college days or donate blood for 10 bucks to pay whatever price they charge.

Enjoy the Stones

Reactions: GOS
Yes you are right, after an "super deluxe BOOST " on the back speakers this record sounds amazing :)
It is a shame that this trick is needed but as i have said this is what we got and if it is possible to improve it yourself then do it.
Giles Martin is terrified of going all out there and really doing popping surround mixes. He does not know the albums well like Steven Wilson does which gives him (SW) confidence a-plenty. So he listened good to the regular stereo mix and does his best with that, and errors on the side of caution. keeping those surround chans a bit low to not offend.

Sort of in the same boat as you. In all these super duper deluxe editions, really my only focus is the multichannel disc. The extras are nice, but saving the cash for a standalone disc would be better and truthfully almost all these sets I’ve never played anything but the star of the show, the 5.1 disc. Though I am looking forward to the Brussels Affair. Glad we could get this release without raiding the piggy bank.

As far as Amazon playing games with prices and quantities, I’m shocked that I am being manipulated like that. I mean, I try to decipher my cable bill and I might as well be trying to understand quantum physics. Make a few buck on me, I like to make a buck here and there myself, I just don’t enjoy feeling like I have been ripped off. And some of these deluxe editions just feel bloated. After my little mini rant, I’m now ready to admit I’ll gladly be a sucker again and buy, buy, buy. And if Animals ever gets released in 5.1 I’ll pawn stuff off like in the college days or donate blood for 10 bucks to pay whatever price they charge.

Enjoy the Stones
So you grabbed your Stones GHS 5.1 on BluRay?
(edit) You already stated you grabbed one.

My Super Deluxe w/ BR arrived today!1 A total of one day to get to me after placing the order. Maybe living in a big city is not so bad.

Giles Martin is terrified of going all out there and really doing popping surround mixes.
I don't think he played it safe at all with his 5.1 mixes of Abbey Road and Let It Be, there are a lot of key musical elements mixed entirely to the rear speakers (Billy Preston's organ in "I Want You", the lead guitar in "I Me Mine", Paul's backing vocals in "Come Together", etc). I'm not sure Steven Wilson could've done much better with the 8-track source material.

As for Goats Head Soup, I'm a bit puzzled by the comments saying the rear channels are too low. Do the horns that come blaring from the back in "Heartbreaker" really need to be louder? Mick's backing vocals coming from behind me in "Coming Down Again" seem perfectly in balance with the leads upfront. I'd even say the newly-revealed piano in the rear speakers throughout Star Star is actually a bit too prominent.

So you grabbed your Stones GHS 5.1 on BluRay?
(edit) You already stated you grabbed one.

My Super Deluxe w/ BR arrived today!1 A total of one day to get to me after placing the order. Maybe living in a big city is not so bad.
Same here. Ordered it Sat at 10AM and it was here Sun afternoon. Glad the price came down enough for me to justify buying this. Not one of my favorite Stones albums (BB, LIB, SF, EOM, SG) but no slouch either.

Amazon like to play around with the number of units in hand. They claim 1 left and then that sells and another is available. Then two or three more. Then all gone sold out, or price goes back to $129.00 for the real last few in hand.

The issue I had is that I’m a big Stones fan and collector and I wanted the “clear vinyl” LP set, I wanted the BluRay disc, and I wanted the Brussels ‘73 concert on LP. To get these things would require purchase of all formats. And the full retail prices was a bit to much, especially since I’ve been trying to sell some things off and not purchase so many new things. And I own about four copes of the album as is.

But with this nice markdown I can get everything I wanted here after all.
These packages are done well and the book will be nice to have as well.

Interesting, indeed they do. Now the price is $57.62 and it just indicates "In Stock" but says "ships in 4 to 5 days". So the price went down and the number available became a non-issue. They are getting it from a 3rd party, but the price going down doesn't make any sense.

Interesting, indeed they do. Now the price is $57.62 and it just indicates "In Stock" but says "ships in 4 to 5 days". So the price went down and the number available became a non-issue. They are getting it from a 3rd party, but the price going down doesn't make any sense.
These are third-party listings, the fluctuations you're seeing are not coming from Amazon - it's new ones being listed and sold.

Here’s a tip to check Amazon prices. Put an item in your cart. Click “Save For Later” and check your cart to see the price changes over time. The Prince box set was about $40, then it went up by $20 more. But, a week later, it went back down to $40.

Sometimes it will say sold out (keep item in cart because items come back in stock). And by doing another Amazon search, you can find another listing for same item at times. Sometimes much higher or lower. Because of price differences, be aware that there can be two Amazon pages for same items. Use google search to find listings. And you’ll always want to compare prices with eBay.

Same here. Ordered it Sat at 10AM and it was here Sun afternoon. Glad the price came down enough for me to justify buying this. Not one of my favorite Stones albums (BB, LIB, SF, EOM, SG) but no slouch either.
Those are also my fave Stones albums. I do enjoy ER and TY very much. And my opinion is that if one were to take the best from GHS and the best from IORR, and combine them, you would end up with another as good as those others, or close enough. The mellowness of those certain tracks on those two does not bother me as much as some. It's changing things up a bit, and it's the stoned 70s, so whatever. Big fan of Star Star and Time Waits. Both albums worth it for those alone.

My CD/BR set was $55 plus tax, free shipping. LP set $60 plus tax free ship. I still may pluck the two items (Brueesls LP & GHS 5.1) from these sets that I want, and sell them off nearly breaking even. I'll wait some months and decide.

Last edited:
Amazing how many people (including myself) are willing to purchase something like this when the price is reasonable. As an example, I'd pay $60 just for the blu-ray of the Kiss Destroyer or Rush AFTK or MP (a ridiculous amount for a single blu-ray IMO), but I will not pay a ridiculous amount for a blu-ray packaged with a bunch of crap I don't need, won't use, and don't want.

Amazing how many people (including myself) are willing to purchase something like this when the price is reasonable. As an example, I'd pay $60 just for the blu-ray of the Kiss Destroyer or Rush AFTK or MP (a ridiculous amount for a single blu-ray IMO), but I will not pay a ridiculous amount for a blu-ray packaged with a bunch of crap I don't need, won't use, and don't want.
Exactly. Fifty or sixty bucks and I’m in. Mine came today. I’ll take a chance on a release at that price,, but when it climbs higher than that it has to be real special and a personal favorite. And even then it can be hard to swallow. Looking forward to to playing this tomorrow though and the feel good price will probably make it even sound better.

It was like when the original Aqualung super deluxe boxes with BluRay discs were being blown out at $35 each plus tax and shipping. I grabbed three of them and (slowly) sold each one off for $130 - $150 each. The plan was to keep a BR disc and maybe an LP in the collection, dump everything else. But what happened is that the LP turned up fairly low cost as a standalone item, and reports of the BR discs going bad in certain sets. I decided to cash out my sets including the BR discs while they were 100% working.

I now have rips of the BR, plus an original set of DVD/CDs with quad and surround content. It was nice owning the sets.
I will enjoy my Rolling Stones sets as well. They may not be permanent fixtures in the collection. Here today and maybe gone next year.

Just ordered my new copy off of an eBay UK seller for £35, but they did say it would be sent in the original brown cardboard cover.
Praying for minimal dentage.
I then went online and listened to the album for the first time.

The price went up, seemingly, because now a few people are buying. So, if no one buys for awhile, perhaps the price will go down again. Maybe. It depends how many of these box sets are left. You have to jump when the price is right, and be sure you want this. Eventually, prices might go sky high. But, there’s probably enough “buyers remorse” seller’s to keep the price low enough. It’s like the stock market, who knows?

It’s outrageous that a seller would ship these box sets in the flimsy outer wrapping. Sometimes one can contact a seller and offering to pay more for shipping if they put an item in a box. Otherwise, it’s absolute laziness on a seller’s part when you ask for better shipping, and they don’t do anything about it.

Back