Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That wasn't my question. Haha.

Then you’re asking to compare the best Atmos mix to best DVD or SACD?

I’m a big fan of discrete mixes and there’s not many discrete Atmos release yet (or for that matter, many Atmos releases at all). So I’d be comparing a hand full vs a truck load. Also content is king, and my favourite surround albums aren’t in Atmos either. Content is a big influencer.

Short answer: Currently I get more out of my best 5.1 and quads than my Atmos albums.

But I still stand by my original comment. I’d rather get an Atmos new release than 5.1 if I had a choice.

I don't think anyone has argued that point?

The rabbit hole is the multitude of systems set up for 5.1 now, and the folks that aren't planning to upgrade to 3D height speakers for a couple handfuls of 3D audio releases.

Does your best Atmos experience trump every 2D listening experience?

Hell to the yes. An example would be; Prometheus from Rhapsody uses the heights brilliantly.

I'm a 5.1 guy and currently have no plans on upgrading to Atmos due to the expense involved. I can't help but wonder, though, how Atmos is ever going to catch on in a big way when, in addition to the cost and the complicated set-up, there's this much confusion surrounding it in a forum filled with surround experts, lol! My eyes literally started glazing over a couple pages backo_O
I'm so lost. Maybe these are just the growing pains of a new format... was the switch from Quad to 5.1 this controversial?

I'm a 5.1 guy and currently have no plans on upgrading to Atmos due to the expense involved. I can't help but wonder, though, how Atmos is ever going to catch on in a big way when, in addition to the cost and the complicated set-up, there's this much confusion surrounding it in a forum filled with surround experts, lol! My eyes literally started glazing over a couple pages backo_O
I'm so lost. Maybe these are just the growing pains of a new format... was the switch from Quad to 5.1 this controversial?

I blame the rippers for sowing confusion. :ROFLMAO:

I continue to repeat myself by offering a simple listening test for anyone who can spin [NOT plays files ripped from] the Abbey Road blu ray on a 5.1 system.

Listen to the 5.1 lossless mix, then compare the Atmos mix and see if you hear a difference on your system.
To me, it proves that Atmos is "fully compatible" with 5.1.

I wouldn't worry about the ripping portion of it. If the format catches on (which I seriously doubt), there will eventually be software "out there" which can decode and rip Atmos to a 5.1 format. For right now, there is not enough content to even worry about. In fact, there are probably 50x the options for Atmos equipment than there are for Atmos music releases.

I wouldn't worry about the ripping portion of it. If the format catches on (which I seriously doubt), there will eventually be software "out there" which can decode and rip Atmos to a 5.1 format. For right now, there is not enough content to even worry about. In fact, there are probably 50x the options for Atmos equipment than there are for Atmos music releases.
You can already rip Atmos to 5.1.

The set up is easy mate. No extra issues over 5.1. The costs are more of a problem for many. You could get some wharfedales and use them as overheads and extra rears, that would keep costs down. There will be plenty of Atmos receievers out there in the next few years. Never will it be mainstream.

On another forum a guy compared it to folding down stereo recordings to mono. Haha.

On another forum a guy compared it to folding down stereo recordings to mono. Haha.

Yeah, there's so much noise and extraneous nonsense circulating.
Like you, I gave up responding on that thread.

Folks are so convinced they are correct, they get indignant and double down on their mistaken assertions.
Rather than being open to processing new information and possibly coming to a different conclusion.

Oh well, Joe Walsh had a sound philosophy in that regard:

R-9346724-1486843672-7085.jpeg.jpg

I've really cooled on this one. Over-priced, poorly designed, sub-par ATMOS mix.
Life in Surround Review

Great review think I'll put mine up on eBay soon......Never even opened mine.....Did you by any chance get the 4 LP set? If so any comments? Also watched the Top 15 very cool people....somehow I missed getting involved in that....hopefully next time (y)

Yeah, there's so much noise and extraneous nonsense circulating.
Like you, I gave up responding on that thread.

Folks are so convinced they are correct, they get indignant and double down on their mistaken assertions.
Rather than being open to processing new information and possibly coming to a different conclusion.

Oh well, Joe Walsh had a sound philosophy in that regard:

R-9346724-1486843672-7085.jpeg.jpg

I hate to bring up that other thread again, but when I called out one of the members over there because he posted his rip, and declared that because it only has 7.1 tracks, that it isn't Atmos, my post was deleted. WTF! SHF has reached a new low. Even worse than when SH himself called me names, for calling another member's idea to record SACD's using an $800 portable digital recorder stupid. I guess misinformation rules the day there and facts be damned.

DTS-HD has better fidelity, clarity and punch. It's NOT a subtle difference. Atmos sound "smeared" compared to the DTS-HD. GHS Atmos sounds smeared in the same way.
Does the Atmos become smeared when it is down mixed to 5.1, or is Atmos 7.1 smeared sounding to you in general with these mentioned releases?

September has been a really good month for my purchases (both multi-channel and stereo). Pineapple Thief, Richard and Linda Thompson, Suzanne Vega, Doobie Brothers, the Rolling Stones (Steel Wheels), Steve Hackett and Fish all produced excellent albums and/or sets. Unfortunately this set stands out for its poor packaging and sound and over-inflated price. Some you win....

Does the Atmos become smeared when it is down mixed to 5.1, or is Atmos 7.1 smeared sounding to you in general with these mentioned releases?

I don't have this Stones package, but I do have Abbey Road. I did not notice any smearing when I played the Atmos layer of the latter downmixed to 5.1 via an Oppo 205. I did feel that it sounded just a itsy-bitsy-tad smoother than the DTS MA layer, but it really was splitting hairs.

I also didn't detect any obvious differences in the mix between the DTS MA and the Atmos downmix...I'm not saying there aren't any, but I'll leave that exercise to someone else who may have more interest.

I don't have this Stones package, but I do have Abbey Road. I did not notice any smearing when I played the Atmos layer of the latter downmixed to 5.1 via an Oppo 205. I did feel that it sounded just a itsy-bitsy-tad smoother than the DTS MA layer, but it really was splitting hairs.

I also didn't detect any obvious differences in the mix between the DTS MA and the Atmos downmix...I'm not saying there aren't any, but I'll leave that exercise to someone else who may have more interest.

Oh you have some Stones alright...I mean c'mon..."itsy-bitsy and tad"...I have never seen those used together....it takes some nerve to pull that off...that's from WAY BACK in the time machine...that's old school my friend;)

Oh you have some Stones alright...I mean c'mon..."itsy-bitsy and tad"...I have never seen those used together....it takes some nerve to pull that off...that's from WAY BACK in the time machine...that's old school my friend;)

I'm sorry. I misspoke. What I meant to say was itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie...

My experience through LISTENING to John Lennon's Gimme Some Truth is that Dolby Atmos is NOT compatible with 5.1.

I would suggest therefore, that it isn't possible for people with 5.1 capability only to hear the surround mix of this album as intended.

⬆ This right here is what makes the cost of this set disgusting at $125+ ⬆

(P.S. plus the falsely advertised DTS-HA MA 5.1 which is nowhere to be found on this set)
View attachment 57821
uDiscover Music assures me that they are checking in to the missing 5.1 mix.
I piled on that ticket the missing low-end for the Atmos mix and they likewise claim they're checking in to it...
This is in response to a refund inquiry.

uDiscover Music assures me that they are checking in to the missing 5.1 mix.
I piled on that ticket the missing low-end for the Atmos mix and they likewise claim they're checking in to it...
This is in response to a refund inquiry.
I just re-upped my email to them...been 5 weeks with no response.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 6.16.43 PM.png

Back