Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah - Snood bit after returning it at release (twice lol) - I had 20 bux in Amazon promotions 10 and 10 and another 40 in Bing point bux - so got it down to 29 and yeah at that price point. Snood is in - thing is I saw it by mistake and have had it in my watch list - it got down to 97 once. but nah.

When I happen to check amazon days and flash sales/music went whaaaaa 4 hours left and at 97 percent sold - started doing math and said Yepperz :rocks

I've been going back and forth all year deciding between the surround (?) and the double album as I am mostly a vinyl person. I think I will save the money and go with vinyl based on how uninspiring everyone thinks the 5.1 is.

I've been going back and forth all year deciding between the surround (?) and the double album as I am mostly a vinyl person. I think I will save the money and go with vinyl based on how uninspiring everyone thinks the 5.1 is.

Spending money on better mixes in this particular case won't get an argument from me, especially for 5.1.

For me, it's just the start that's disappointing. Some of the other songs actually sound great to me. Seeing that most people vote 8 (despite the glued book, that is :LOL:), I doubt we can conclude that the consensus is that the mix is uninspiring. But 'uninspiring' could mean different things to different people. I do think the box is too expensive by the way.

For me, it's just the start that's disappointing. Some of the other songs actually sound great to me. Seeing that most people vote 8 (despite the glued book, that is :LOL:), I doubt we can conclude that the consensus is that the mix is uninspiring. But 'uninspiring' could mean different things to different people. I do think the box is too expensive by the way.

On my 5.1 setup, like the poster I commented to, I never came close to any moment in this mix where I thought it sounded "great." It only comes in an expensive box set and he says he likes his vinyl. In this particular case, YOU are setting him up for a disappointing purchase in my opinion. This mix could have been much better AND there are much better mixes to be had cheaper.

You can't go by the polls because some people don't rate just the mix. They put too much weight in the band or music which doesn't help someone that has already listened to the album hundreds of times.

Well and that is a big part of the problem: the price. I sprung for the White Album in 5.1 and have never regretted it for a second. But I passed on Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper as I have good vinyl of them, including the half speed master of Abbey Road. I think Goats Head falls somewhere between these two categories, which is why I am in a dilemma.

Well and that is a big part of the problem: the price. I sprung for the White Album in 5.1 and have never regretted it for a second. But I passed on Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper as I have good vinyl of them, including the half speed master of Abbey Road. I think Goats Head falls somewhere between these two categories, which is why I am in a dilemma.

Get Abbey Road and thank me later. The mix is much better (than goat) and so is the album. The mix is even better than The White Album!

The 5.1 isn't terrible, but it is more conservative and I think many are spoiled with Steven Wilson mixes, so you certainly won't get that with this iteration of GHS. The other factor is that for the price they are charging for this, way overpriced for a glued in book, a flimsy cardboard container with a poster tube that will damage easily if you open and close the container or remove the poster a handful of times.

The 5.1 isn't terrible, but it is more conservative and I think many are spoiled with Steven Wilson mixes, so you certainly won't get that with this iteration of GHS. The other factor is that for the price they are charging for this, way overpriced for a glued in book, a flimsy cardboard container with a poster tube that will damage easily if you open and close the container or remove the poster a handful of times.
While I haven't played this back in 5.1, I played the ATMOS (7.2.4) and it is simply GUTTED of bass and any punch or power, on my system. Totally neutered, compared to it's stereo counterpart.
As far as immersion goes, I found it more appealing than most, I guess. Something about this ATMOS mix is just OFF. I really do want to mess with the 7.1 rips I made. See if some phasing is happening or such.

While I haven't played this back in 5.1, I played the ATMOS (7.2.4) and it is simply GUTTED of bass and any punch or power, on my system. Totally neutered, compared to it's stereo counterpart.
As far as immersion goes, I found it more appealing than most, I guess. Something about this ATMOS mix is just OFF. I really do want to mess with the 7.1 rips I made. See if some phasing is happening or such.
I'm gonna revisit this and also compare to the Apple Music Atmos version. I'd be interested to read about your 7.1 rips...

I want to pull the trigger on this so bad, but after reading the comments and seeing the poll scores all over the place I can’t justify it without a big discount. Bummer.

Back