Rolling Stones 'Shine A Light' BluRay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filper

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I picked this up this morning at BB. It included the single CD soundtrack as a bonus for the release date.

It is beautifully filmed by some of the best in the business.

The transfer appears free of artifacts. I think it must be a 50GB disc.

The dts-HD Master Audio track seems true to a live Stones performance.

Definitely worth getting.

A great presentation of the band.

Perfect set list. It includes some of my lesser air played favs.

You'd think a bunch of ancient rockers who look as bad as they do would stay the hell away from HD video :D

I just tried the normal DVD and my head hurts. Shrill and thin 5.1 sound and annoying thing where the guitars are jacked up and down depending on who appears on screen. I don't think the band sounds very good either, but I am not a huge Stones fan beyond the Taylor years.

'Shine A Light' (to me) is a consummate representation of the Stones.

Yes, they look like they were 'dug up', but the film captures many 'classic' songs and a lifetime of interaction between gifted musicians.

'Marty' did a great job of allowing the band to portray themselves. I'm sure Buddy Guy felt honoured when Keith presented him his guitar. (I'm sure that means something between musicians).

I've seen The Stones live once in '75 and pretty much most of their bigger DVD releases, but nothing as intimate as this.

A GF in High School won tickets for the El Macombo gig way back, but I'd broken up with her the week before, so she took her sister....

I'll never see them as real as I have on this Blu.

The dts-HD track (output at the core dts bitrate) is definitely not shrill. I can't comment on the DD TrueHD track because I have not heard it.

Last edited:
I just tried the normal DVD and my head hurts. Shrill and thin 5.1 sound and annoying thing where the guitars are jacked up and down depending on who appears on screen. I don't think the band sounds very good either, but I am not a huge Stones fan beyond the Taylor years.

I guess it is possible that the DTS on the BR disc is different than the Dolby 5.1 on the standard DVD. The video on the standard DVD upsampled to
1080p over HDMI looks amazing. The best video in any concert that I have although ZZ Top is close. I've said it before but I can't imagine BR could be much better. I guess I will find out when I get a player later this year.

I just added this title (along with the ZZ Top) to the Blu-Ray HiRez poll section. I still haven't watched it yet though.....

I guess it is possible that the DTS on the BR disc is different than the Dolby 5.1 on the standard DVD. The video on the standard DVD upsampled to
1080p over HDMI looks amazing. The best video in any concert that I have although ZZ Top is close. I've said it before but I can't imagine BR could be much better. I guess I will find out when I get a player later this year.

I haven't seen either the DVD or the Blu-ray of this film, but I have seen a lot of great DVD's and a quite a few great Blu-ray releases of the same title. On a big screen, the difference is significant. On smaller screens, the visual difference isn't worth the cost in my opinion. Of course the lossless audio in combination with HD video makes the total difference greater and often worth the cost regardless of display. You won't be disappointed with Blu-ray, it is the best of the better than CD and better than DVD 5" shiny disc formats and the only one with any chance for mainstream acceptance. There should be some great deals on players and software this holiday season.

Chris

Back