BluRay Music Video Poll Rolling Stones - SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray Video release of the Rolling Stones - SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS '78

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please rate this live concert Blu-Ray disc from the Rolling Stones. "Live in Texas, '78"

some girls.jpg

It appears I got lucky to pick this up today. I guess you folks south of the border won't see it for a week and a bit.

I got it for $16.99. It includes a CD of the concert.

The concert was beautifully filmed on 16MM film.

Bob Clearmountain has done a great job with the sound. Clear and punchy for a late 70's concert. I assume remixed for a dtsHD Master surround very tastefully.

It really is a great Stones time capsule.

I have a picture of the contents but I can't attach it...

Here's the guts. Thanks Jon.

They even included CD artwork that fits a jewel case.

Attachments

• sg blu.jpg
    sg blu.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 431
Music: 8.5
Mix: 5.5
Sonics: 8.0

I prefer the previous BD, Ladies and Gentlemen... from a material standpoint, but this release has modestly better sonics/mix/video. That being said, this is a live album so don't expect to be wowed by the 5.1 wizardry. This would also presage the decline phase of the band (which badly needs to call it a day at this point). You can pick this up pretty cheap and I would recommend it to any Rolling Stones fan.

Music: 8.5
Mix: 5.5
Sonics: 8.0

I prefer the previous BD, Ladies and Gentlemen... from a material standpoint, but this release has modestly better sonics/mix/video. That being said, this is a live album so don't expect to be wowed by the 5.1 wizardry. This would also presage the decline phase of the band (which badly needs to call it a day at this point). You can pick this up pretty cheap and I would recommend it to any Rolling Stones fan.

That is a ridiculous statement. Meat Loaf 3 Bats has a great 5.1 track, War of the Worlds on Stage DVD is PHENOMENAL in 5.1, SW live, Nine Inch Nails, Eagles in Melbourne mixed by ES is brilliant in 5.1.

We shouldn't except that stupid excuse. 5.1 should be 5.1, not predominately 2.0.

That is a ridiculous statement. Meat Loaf 3 Bats has a great 5.1 track, War of the Worlds on Stage DVD is PHENOMENAL in 5.1, SW live, Nine Inch Nails, Eagles in Melbourne mixed by ES is brilliant in 5.1.

We shouldn't except that stupid excuse. 5.1 should be 5.1, not predominately 2.0.

Hmmm...looks like someone started the day off with a bit too much coffee (and hyperbole). I admire the passion for 5.1 though.

In an ideal world I would agree with you, but more so for studio releases. For every example you listed off I could name 5 live albums that really only open up the soundstage and place few discrete instruments in the rears. I have found that for old live albums never intended to be released in 5.1 (My guess is that this was recorded to two track), one should set their expectations accordingly. Hence the "5.5" I awarded the mix-not exactly a raving endorsement. As one can see from reading my review, I'm recommending this release based more so for its performance/sonic merits.

Would you rather this not have a 5.1 option? To my ears the 5.1 option is modestly better than the 2.0, and keeps the 5.1 movement going.

All of those examples you brought up were recorded well after 1978 and were most likely recorded with 5.1 in mind for their release. If this were a more modern release then I think your position would be wholly justified. Also, I own the live NIN BD. I agree it's excellent for a live release, but it was also released by a guy who openly believes in 5.1 and has released several other albums this way so one could again set their expectations accordingly.

It's a fake surround. Just a Stereo with a reverb in rear and a mono mix in central speaker. But the stereo sound is good and the glimmer twins too.
Sorry for my english. Best regards.

Some girls live in Texas, some girls die in Texas. Funny how I misread live as live.

The Stones were sixties stars, and in the early 70's became superstars and created their own signature sound.

However, in the late 80's, challenged by disco on the right, and punk on the left, they came up with an album and tour that still had them in the mix at the top of the heap.

I really like this film, and considering the live concert source of the audio, the sound is really good.

Back