HiRez Poll Rolling Stones - SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Rolling Stones - SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
An odd release, but very worthwhile. I don't care much for the "remixes". They are OK, a nice listen on occasion, but the star of this disc is the original version in glorious 5.1. Although Mick is heard in the fronts and a bit in the rears, he is alone in the center speaker with Keith's lead guitar.

There are some interesting "sounds" heard if you just isolate the center. Some girls talking/lauging, and other stuff. Pretty cool.

This one rates high with me. I haven't seen it in stores lately, so if you don't have this one I would seek it out soon.

This disc leaves me with one word on my mind: MORE!! :)

JonUrban said:
This disc leaves me with one word on my mind: MORE!! :)

Agree; i've never been a huge RS fan and this release surely sounds good... too bad it's just a single! It's too little to compare with other releases.

I too don't care very much for the remixes either. But damn does the original version really open up on this mix! My only complaint is that the leadoff track isn't the original.

I haven't even listened to the mixes, but the real version makes the disc a worthwhile purchase. I've never been a RS fan, but I have always liked this track and it sounds great on this release. I'm amazed at the quality of the recording for the age - this and Tommy prove that there were at least a few people around back in the 60s who knew how to record music. However, there is a downside - it makes other discs sound poor by comparison, Ziggy Stardust comes to mind as it is the most recent of my purchases.

>>> This disc leaves me with one word on my mind: MORE!!

Not a Stones fan, but even with just one song, what more is there to say? 10.

Took forever to find a copy of this (along with The Eagles "Hole in the world" single in dts)...

but even though the remixes leave me cold....

the original is just so good to hear in 5.1....

The best sacd multichannel single.....so far....

If you like this song by the Stones....you must get this....

Oh Doctor Please ...some more of these....

Last edited:
Coming just on the heels of ABKCO's rollout of the entire Stones sixties catalog on hybrid (stereo-only) SACD, this got me very mad that the Klein clan. We'd waited sixteen years for them to upgrade the Stones catalog... we certainly could have waited a year or two longer for you guys to at least remix some of the later albums in surround! :mad:

That having been so stated, this disc - for the original track only - is worth the price of admission. Great song, great surround mix. A+!

dprokopy said:
Coming just on the heels of ABKCO's rollout of the entire Stones sixties catalog on hybrid (stereo-only) SACD, this got me very mad that the Klein clan. We'd waited sixteen years for them to upgrade the Stones catalog... we certainly could have waited a year or two longer for you guys to at least remix some of the later albums in surround! :mad:

That having been so stated, this disc - for the original track only - is worth the price of admission. Great song, great surround mix. A+!
Yes, excellent packaging too. Now if they could do the same with the Satanic Majesties album. 3D cover and surround sound. As for the other albums, stereo is ok for me.

I agree that the 5.1 of this one great track is a pud-teaser, as it were....and yet, what potential! Proved it could be done, and done well....and if I knew where to raise hell about getting more of the same, I know we all would, since if one song can be mixed, well, more could be done, too.....TSMJ, BB & LIB are the logical choices.....but yeah, this was, months ago, a hidden goodie that shocked me when I played it!

ED :)

I gave her an 8.

For $7 how can you go wrong? One track, that will live with us forever.

I gave it a 10 (for the stones mix only, the others don't interest me in the slightest). Beautiful use of surrounds. This proves what they can do with the late 60s early 70s rolling stones catalog - what are they waiting for??? My wallet is ready ...

I gave it a 5 because it's a lousy value. The actual track is probably an 8 if not a 10, but the remixes are a waste of time and space. Why not give us a surround 2000 Light Years From Home, Gimmie Shelter, Dandelion, She's A Rainbow, or Midnight Rambler? Now that ABKCO has discontinued SACD this is all we can hope for.

The re-mixes are not interesting. Great to have the original Sympathy For the Devil in surround. A strange release. Buy it if you must have the one song in surround. "5".

I only just discovered this disc. Even when I did discover it, I assumed it would be stereo only, like the Stones SACD albums. But I checked it out on QQ and found out that it’s 5.1.

Quickly skipped through the modern remixes. I quite like some remixes, but I find they mean you can tire of the original material more quickly. Like most others, I’d agree there’s only 1 important track on the SACD, and it does not disappoint. Great sound, good separation. The bass is clear and Keith’s guitar really bites. And it’s so perfect to have the ‘woo-woos’ coming from a surround speaker!

Agree with elswinger, would have been great to have a few more Stones classics in surround. In the early days of CD singles, they often did mini greatest hits of 4 or 5 songs, so this could have been one of those.

I’m tempted to give this a 10, but the value for money thing is a consideration. So 9.

This is a good one, for what it is. I find myself listening to different tracks on it, though never more than 2 in a row and never the edited versions of the remixes. The full remixes are all pretty neat, and the original song, of course, is great as others have said. Mix and quality is superb throughout.

It's a really neat disc to have, especially for just 10 bucks. Giving it an 8.

Glad this came out but something of a curio. Some creative re-inventions of the original song, but none better. You know I don't have alot of moments where I want to listen to different variations of this song over and over...I would give the original a "9."

Mix/Sonics: 8.5
Music: 6

My favorite Stones tune. Even better in surround. I am a sucker for surround percussion effects and this is a good one. The remixes are not bad but the original is the reason I bought this. Fairly inexpensive so any Stones fan can grab this. You won't be disappointed. Solid 9.

Back