Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh, well why didn't we get that KBFH SQ Quad mix? 😒

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but all the original (SQ-encoded) KBFH masters burned up in a warehouse fire sometime around 1982, so it doesn't exist anymore. All that would be left would be the 7 1/2ips tape copies sent out to radio stations, which are probably 2 or 3 generations down from that original master, which is presumably why they decided to do a stereo remix from the multis for this set. Sometime in the mid-90s the new KBFH rights holders discovered that all the original multitracks survived as they were stored separately from the mixed masters, so all the KBFH released digitally since then has been from new remixes from those multis.

I'm not sure if KBFH made a discrete 4-channel master at the time that they did their SQ-encoded 2 channel versions (or if the SQ version was derived from a discrete master) but I guess it's a moot point anyway as those tapes would've burned up as well, and DIR (KBFH's pa,rent company) only sent out SQ-encoded reels to radio stations so there aren't even any lower-quality backup copies.

I'm guessing the Stones probably had the original Brussels multitrack in their archives given that they had their own mobile recording unit (the Rolling Stones Mobile, which was used for all sorts of location recording from Deep Purple's Machine Head to the O'Jays and Billy Paul live albums) and it seems likely that it would've been used to record the Brussels gig, especially since Jagger was involved in the original mixing.

I blame the rippers for sowing confusion. :ROFLMAO:

I continue to repeat myself by offering a simple listening test for anyone who can spin [NOT plays files ripped from] the Abbey Road blu ray on a 5.1 system.

Listen to the 5.1 lossless mix, then compare the Atmos mix and see if you hear a difference on your system.
To me, it proves that Atmos is "fully compatible" with 5.1.

On my 5.1 system the Dolby Atmos layer on the Abbey Road blu ray plays slightly louder than the DTS layer. All Dolby audio files typically play at a slightly louder, usually more compressed volume on my receiver compared to the DTS layer. It's not a subtle difference to my ears, it's an audible difference. It's some sort of Dolby encoding preset that seems to click on when I engage the Dolby audio option. For that reason I usually prefer DTS on my receiver, when it's a playback option. That's just from standard playback from a Sony bluray player to an Onkyo receiver via an hdmi cable.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Awesome! Last email I received a week ago was they are working on my return. Emailed them this morning to request a status. Fingers crossed this goes through.
It should. I have an email from them admitting that their site displayed false information about the product. And they say they're correcting the site.
Any complaint involving that particular aspect of the product, i.e. the missing DTS HD MA mix, should be refunded.

Hi

I just ordered it for 46,80 € in Amazon.it. I think this can be The good price for this

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B089J5GZHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also ordered 2 of this... Grazie. And Forza Italia.
1605001696149.png

So I got mine today. (Thanks again to BGF1973 for the tip on Amazon.it).

This 5.1 mix is all over the place for sure. Haven't even bothered to listen to it on the big rig yet; instead I had a quick listen on the computer setup as I loaded each track (from the 7.1 rip via audiomuxer) into Audacity to have a look at what I was hearing. The first thing that jumps out at me is the center channel is always too loud. And not consistently - sometimes a little, sometimes a LOT. This is mainly what's screwing up Mr. D, from what I can hear so far.

Speaking of tweaking: Is this the best thread to talk about such things, or should I start one? Or is there another already started?

Last edited:
So I got mine today. (Thanks again to BGF1973 for the tip on Amazon.it).

This 5.1 mix is all over the place for sure. Haven't even bothered to listen to it on the big rig yet; instead I had a quick listen on the computer setup as I loaded each track (from the 7.1 rip via audiomuxer) into Audacity to have a look at what I was hearing. The first thing that jumps out at me is the center channel is always too loud. And not consistently - sometimes a little, sometimes a LOT. This is mainly what's screwing up Mr. D, from what I can hear so far.

Speaking of tweaking: Is this the best thread to talk about such things, or should I start one? Or is there another already started?
It’s OK JtO; let it all out!
There is this other looong thread filled with chills, spills, surprise, and extreme indignation!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...uxe-edition-with-5-1-dolby-atmos-mixes.28649/

Back