Romulus Q8 Tape Gallery!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RQ-5001 Ray Pillow.jpgRQ-5002 Glen Sherley.jpgRQ-5003 Henson Cargill.jpgRQ-5004 Bobby Hardin.jpgRQ-5005 Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan.jpg

RQ-5012: Unknown Title/Questionable Existence
RQ-5014: Unknown Title/Questionable Existence
RQ-5016: Dizzy Gillespie "Souled Out" (No Photo.....yet!)

This is an area of Q8's that has always confounded me, if only because I don't own any of them. First of all, there was no such label that I can find that released vinyl named Romulus; at least, not during the era covered by these tapes, which is 1971-72, in general. Second, the country artists here do seem to have one thing in common: all, at the time, recorded for Mega, a Nashville label that survived for about five years (1970-74), mainly but not exclusively with country hits. Their first was Sammi Smith's "Help Me Make it Through the Night," a sexy countrypolitan number penned by Kris Kristofferson just as he was getting hot. The label never had another crossover country single, but did get into the Hot 100 on occasion, their biggest 'rock' hit being Apollo 100's "Joy" in late 1971. Future disco queen (for one single, anyway) Alicia Bridges began her career on Mega and doing country pop.

Is there any way to get the back side track listings for some of these? Although not garnering any major hits, Ray Pillow, Stan Hitchcock, and Henson Cargill were charting during this period. A few of these tapes are even odder (is that a word?), like Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan, who recorded for a Mercury subsidiary, Wayside, and had a few novelty hits in 1970, of which "Tennessee Bird Walk" is best known. Glen Sherley was an ex-convict befriended by, among others, Johnny Cash, who recorded a few of his songs. Upon release from prison he recorded for a few labels before he committed suicide in 1978. Mr. Hardin I have never heard of (he didn't make the country charts is all I know). Others, like Montenegro and Jenkins, were noted arrangers/conductors/composers.

A very strange label, this one. I'd like to hear some of it just to find out what's up.

ED :)

Wasn't this the label that run "under the radar" of the record companies, selling mostly in gas stations and diners? I don't think it was a 'real' label.

It sure looks like "that" kind of label. Was Dawn of Dylan a quad LP?

Absolutely not. That's what makes these so curious. It would be very interesting to know just how "quad" these really are. The only one I have ever heard of is the Blind Hog title. I only am aware of that because I have sought out as many rock/pop titles as I could find over the years and that one was listed on Mark Andersons' quad discography and sounded like it wouuld be rock and roll.

First of all, there was no such label that I can find that released vinyl named Romulus; at least, not during the era covered by these tapes, which is 1971-72, in general.

Thats because it's not an Earth company. The Romulans were trying to saturate our Q8 market with inferior products. That is untill Captain Kirk discovered the plot.

Thats because it's not an Earth company. The Romulans were trying to saturate our Q8 market with inferior products. That is untill Captain Kirk discovered the plot.

Ah, that explains the mystery then. :alienrob:

Many of them are quite discrete. I would say the Blind Hog tape is among the best, even though it's got some canned echo going on. I'm curious to here the Bill Black Combo tape. Surely that couldn't be more than 4-track because Bill died in 1965. I will say that the mixes of the tapes I do own are not the best. They are static though - I've never heard a tape yet that has a panning effect. "Dawn of Dylan" is quite discrete. Rhythm instruments in the front, vocals are a little strange with women in both lefts, gents in both rights but up the middle there seems to be either a chorus of people or "blend" singers. When the orchestra kicks in, it's mostly to the rear in wide stereo but bleeds to the front.

What I find the most interesting is that few of these tapes have actual album titles! ie: Glen Sherley. That's his "Live at Vacaville Prison" LP but you'd never know by looking at the tape! Ray Pillow is titled as "Pillow Talk" but he has no album by that name. It's actually his 1972 "Slippin' Around" album. I can find NOTHING on Bobby Hardin or Blind Hog. It almost seems like it's the higher numbered tapes that tried to put titles to them and may have been what landed this "company" in hot water and may explain the lack of 5012 and 5014. Release halted by copyright infringement? Who knows? Most of these tapes seem to predate 1972, which I think was the year that saw albums start to have copyright notice printed on them. None of the tape slickers try to emulate the actual album art that came on the legit releases.

Wasn't this the label that run "under the radar" of the record companies, selling mostly in gas stations and diners? I don't think it was a 'real' label.

It had to be, and had all the looks of being one, though why anyone in their right mind would think the 'quad crowd' was checking out gas stations looking for Q8's is one of those little mysteries that must be left unsolved...:D But whatever they are, don't recall ever having seen one, which I would have bought just out of curiosity. They've been listed in Mark's guide, but the kind of titles not exactly on anyone's radar or wish list.

ED :)

Shhhhhhh!!! Where do you think I've been getting them from?? Gerardo has been selling off a bunch of his stuff. I just won the Bill Black and Al Hirt tape (ouch, I think I paid too much for Al Hirt!) But all I need now are Stan Hitchcock and Fred Waring I'll almost have the whole set. Will just need Dizzy Gillespie. When I get the whole kitten kaboodle home, I'll take pictures of the track list and maybe Jon and I can get a page put together specifically all about these weirdo Quad tapes!

P.S. - Nobody bid on Stan Hitchcock or Fred Waring thanks ;)

So, I got lucky and won everything but the Stan Hitchcock tape. Wouldn't you know it, that and Dizzy Gillespie are probably the most rare ones - at least I've only seen one of each.

Just got the Jack & Misty Tape. Strange one that it is. By the songlist, it's MOST of the "Two Sides of Jack and Misty" album, but it replaces three songs that I can't seem to locate where they came from. Pretty strange if you ask me. I'm tempted not to open it (it's still sealed), but I probably will.

Too Late. It's a beautiful tape. Sound is iffy - for a brand new tape, it's got some fluttery parts and some drop outs. Mix is typical Romulus (as in, ok, but not great). Drums & bass and Jack and Misty are front center. Piano in both lefts (or both rights). Guitar in both lefts or both rights (depends on song, suffice to say guitar or piano use the phantom left or right channels) background singers are mostly in the rears but can be heard in the front. Incidental overdubs are discretely in BL or BR when they appear. Lots of channel-filling echo on this one. Not bad, but could have used less.

Having received the tape I've won (12 of the known 14), I've repaired and played them. Of the 12, I can say that the Top Three for GREAT sound are:

The Bill Black Combo
Gene Warr & The Jordanaires
Al Hirt

...and by that I mean low noise, low hiss, great sonics with nice highs and steady lows. Didn't need to run the Dolby box at all playing those tapes.

However, Gene Warr does have a channel error with lead vocals being in both rights. I *think* Bill Black and Fred Waring have the rears swapped. If you swap them, then you get instruments in the phantom sides like there is on almost every other tape.

Now, without further adieu, here's the track listing for the tapes!

RQ-5001 Ray Pillow "Pillow Talk" (a.k.a. "Slippin' Around")
Daddy's Gone Crazy (Haven't You heard?)
Since Then
She's Doing it again
I'm in love with a man named Jesus
Excuse Me (I think I've got a heartache)
Book It
She learned to be a waitress
I'm doing what I love
Foolin' Around
Slippin' Around

RQ-5002 Glen Sherley (a.k.a. "Live at Vacaville Prison)
Pick a bouquet
Keep Steppin'
Portrait of a Woman
Greystone Chapel
Measure of a Man
Frisco Song
FBI
If this prison yard could talk
Mama had a country soul
Lookin' back in anger

RQ-5003 Henson Cargill "1932"
Momma's Waiting
Pencil marks on the wall
Afraid to rock the boat
Daddy Frank
Oklahoma Hell
The Night they drove ole Dixie down
I can't face that bed alone
Daddy don't you walk so fast
Country Roads

RQ-5004 Bobby Hardin
Woman, You need a man
Tulsa
I wanted love from you, Mary
Family Man
Someone write a perfect melody
Papa's House
St. Vincent Motor Hotel
Mama's Song
Just because he loved her
Down

RQ-5005 Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan
There must be more to living than growing Old
It seems like there ain't no going home
Fire Hydrant #79
If eggs had legs
Sweet Memories
Second Tuesday in December
Washin' Harry down the sink
Somewhere in Virginia in the rain
Don't it make you want to go home
Miami sidewalks

RQ-5006 Fred Waring & The Pennsylvanians "Nashville Sounds"
Snowbird
Try a little kindness
Daddy sang Bass
Foru Walls (Typeface error, should read "FOUR Walls")
I really don't want to know
Open up your heart
Anytime
People are so nice to have around
Hank Williams Medley
Love me tender

RQ-5007 Bill Black Combo
Proud Mary
Make it with you
B. B. Shuffle
Cotton Carnival
Alley Cat