Roon on Unraid?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintin

Anyone using Roon on Unraid to host their high resolution/surround audio?

I’d really appreciate some advise on setup etc.

Most appreciated!

No clue about Roon. Not exactly what you want to know, but here's my journey so far.

I've been looking at all the free NAS solutions with hopes of handling a huge surround/blu ray collection, all ripped to .iso or flac.
I have a secondary pc with a motherboard that has 8 SATA ports and I can add more with pcie cards if I like, all in a full tower case.
Less ideal than commercial unit for sure, but if I can find the time to make it work then all the better.

TrueNAS, formerly known as FreeNAS, is just way too time consuming for me to get into. First day on the forum I introduced myself. Did not take them long to weed me out by showing me all the crap I "should" read to get started. No thanks! I also watched, or tried to stay awake through, a few hours of youtube.

Unraid I don't remember exactly why I rejected it.

Anyway I've done nothing yet as I need a few empty drives to get started.
But essentially it looks like OpenMediaVault is a better fit for me. There are links to setup videos, and from what I've seen getting started at least does not look so daunting. It will run on about any kind of hardware, the program itself can run from a flash drive.
I believe the developer also worked on FreeNAS, so the bonafides are there.

Let us know what you go with. Time is the biggest killer for me and I may yet just buy a Synology 4 bay at some point though even that in itself will not hold my collection in toto with mirroring enabled.
good luck.

Thanks for the response, @boondocks !!

Well - I have already built myself an Unraid server - for me, it’s the best solution - I find it extremely reliable, easy to use and the performance is really good. I setup Roon in a docker two days ago … seems to be performing really well. I’ve been moving my audio files over … I still have a few DVD audios to convert. I use PLEX to host my video … I don’t have any Blu-ray movies hosted on my Unraid - but I assume it will work just as well.

if you don’t want to screw around building your own server - maybe Synology is the best solution for you? Being someone who likes to tinker and has experience in building PC’s - Unraid was the best solution for me …

I’ve ordered a Allo DigiOne signature player and plan to set that up as a Roon endpoint. I’ll fee that into my Denon surround sound processor via SPDIF for now. I plan to buy an external DAC eventually.

https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html
What solution have you been using to rip your DVD audio discs?

Hey, I'm glad to hear it!
So, I've been building pc's for a long time, so the hardware end is not hard, and my secondary rig is an overkill Asus Maximus ROG VIII Hero in a Switch 810 case.
I even make up my own wiring, crimp pins and sleeve the wiring, redo it at intervals when I get tired of looking at it, lol.
My main rig is a Case Labs Merlin with dual pedestals. Both rigs are watercooled except I pulled the video cards out of the second rig as they won't be needed for a NAS.
Truthfully except for the mobo and cpu, most of it I bought years ago with a retirement bonus of sorts.

I am also a tinkerer, but I find in my old age I have slowed down a lot more than I care to admit, especially when trying to fathom the intricacies of some softwares.

Perhaps I will go back and revisit Unraid...it could be that I skipped it and don't realize it!

For ripping DVDA I've used a variety of methods over the years. Early on it was a Creative Audigy 2 ZS card , or the DVDAExplorer app. Sometimes I just use Foobar or I might use DVDFab.
Regardless of method, they all end up as .iso and maybe flac. Now that I jailbroke my Oppo I can stream the .iso's to it from the pc.

SP/DIF. Sony Phillips Digital Interface. Lord I'm surprised I remember even that! I used to remember all this stuff...isn't it only stereo capable? I mean yeah DTS is going to yield 6 channels but it will all be lossy. No way to work a software player like Foobar into the equation? I confess I don't know a thing about Roon and have not looked it up.

Thanks for the response, @boondocks !!

Well - I have already built myself an Unraid server - for me, it’s the best solution - I find it extremely reliable, easy to use and the performance is really good. I setup Roon in a docker two days ago … seems to be performing really well. I’ve been moving my audio files over … I still have a few DVD audios to convert. I use PLEX to host my video … I don’t have any Blu-ray movies hosted on my Unraid - but I assume it will work just as well.

if you don’t want to screw around building your own server - maybe Synology is the best solution for you? Being someone who likes to tinker and has experience in building PC’s - Unraid was the best solution for me …

I’ve ordered a Allo DigiOne signature player and plan to set that up as a Roon endpoint. I’ll fee that into my Denon surround sound processor via SPDIF for now. I plan to buy an external DAC eventually.

https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html
What solution have you been using to rip your DVD audio discs?
Hi

I have a Unraid server up and it has been running Plex for over a year and its very stable. Can you please help me setup Roon server docker please? I can see that you have done this :)
I already have my flac files on unraid so that should be fine.

Best Regards
Jan, Norway

I am planning ahead, and want to do a NAS and was looing at the software for organizing and playing the music files. But, I have a problem with locking myself into a hardware/ software combination that may either go out of business, get bought by a larger company, change their licensing agreements, or the hardware/ software combination would receive a software upgrade that makes my older hardware not functioning any longer.

These are my fears with locking into one company. Many times hardware companies in the past have changed their OS so significantly that it made a lot of users stuck on their combination of hardware/ software. Adding to the problem, Roon requires a subscription to use their software. One can purchase the lifetime for close to $700.00, but that is a significant investment for equipment with an expiration date.

What are the alternatives to Roon?

Kodi is open source media player software and free. I’d recommend an Intel NUC i3 8th Gen or later to run Kodi. That gives you MCH audio and 4K HDR video (the Linux version is called LibreElec, this comes with a Linux install + Kodi.

A Synology NAS is my recommendation for file storage. They have millions business of users and will not suddenly change anything to break the system.

Last edited:
Back