Quad LP/Tape Poll Ross, Diana, and the Supremes: Greatest Hits [CD-4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Supremes' GH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The legendary Japan CD-4, Tamla-Motown CD4W-7093.

Side 1:

1. I Hear a Symphony
2. In and Out of Love
3. Love Child
4. The Happening
5. I'm Livin' in Shame
6. Forever Came Today

Side 2:

1. Someday We'll Be Together
2. Love is Here and Now You're Gone
3. You Keep Me Hangin' On
4. My World is Empty Without You
5. You Can't Hurry Love
6. No Matter What Sign You Are

ED :)

Always loved this CD-4 album from Japan. Excellent Quad mix - the engineer who did this one had no fear of using the surround channels and it shows.
One of my favorites from the '70s Quad era.

Sound quality and separation are excellent. HOWEVER.....when entire songs aren't alternate takes, they'll start out the 'right' take but then other portions will not match with the original mono or stereo mixes; in other words, someone just went in, found a batch of tapes, and didn't reference the original hits at all. If that doesn't bother the listener, fine. Used to bother me more in the past than it does now, but it made me wonder exactly how the album was assembled and who was responsible. I mean, can you imagine someone being tossed the multis for HOTEL CALIFORNIA and using all alternate takes? Even with some quad albums that do have a few--AQUALUNG and VOLUNTEERS, to name two--at least MOST of the album had the master takes mixed to quad. But it's a great, fun, perverse listen, because listening to ultra-clean Motown AND alternate takes would not happen in the digital age until much later when the go-ahead was given to do some serious vault-trawling and customized reissues were welcomed by collectors.

I love the "glitches" like the one in "Love Is Here".
Always made me wonder what they were using but like the Jackson 5 GH & Temptations - All Directions albums, it's one I won't part
with all too soon.

Of those three, ALL DIRECTIONS is the most faithful to its source, anyway. Rare Earth's GET READY is fairly good, too. But with the Supremes, it's really like someone just pulled any old tape as long as it was a song they needed. Is is a very fun, delightful listen all the same, I suppose not only because of the album's relative rarity (and it wasn't released anywhere else), but that it was Motown quad. Wish they'd done more, screwups and all...:)

This is a real gem. The mix is awesome and so much fun. The vocals are coming from all four speakers, which puts them square in the middle of the sound stage. It's unique, and a little strange now that I'm used to modern mixes with vocals from the front or just the centre channel (which I really don't love). This sounds like one is listening from where the singing is done, and the rest of the music is all around, and it's marvelous. As others stated, the mixes are definitely different from the mono and stereo ones, but that doesn't bother me at all - it's not different takes: in most cases there are additional bits and pieces that seem to not have made it to the other mixes, and in other cases small things missing. Really wish these Motown releases get remastered and released, they are all SO GOOD.

Back