Roxy Music -Avalon 40th anniversary Dolby Atmos Mix??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just purely speculation at this point.
Personally, I wish they would get Steven Wilson to remix more of their earlier records in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos before revisiting Avalon again
I agree. Especially since I'm quite happy with my Avalon SACD that I paid too much for from Discogs. But after reading the reviews here, I consider myself lucky to have found a like-new used copy. Well worth the money.

Just purely speculation at this point.
Personally, I wish they would get Steven Wilson to remix more of their earlier records in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos before revisiting Avalon again

Right on Ryan .So many promising early Roxy Music Albums starting For Your Pleasure.

Either Steven or Clearmountain ,or Rhett Davies . Or how about within the Band - , Phil Manzanera comes to mind.

One of my DESERT ISLAND discs….an ATMOS version if done right could end up as the #1 in our rating list I would assume….would love to see a multi of Country Life and Viva (Roxy Live Expanded Edition) along with all the others

Last edited:
I’d really like to hear a new Clearmountain mix on this and here’s why.

I do like the way the SACD sounds but also feel it’s a little too soft/wispy and unfocused sounding. From Bob’s comment and his recent mixes, he’s been bringing out the center channel in a very pronounced way (often too much IMO); but perhaps it would give the album a whole new feel, that would be interesting.

I’d really like to hear a new Clearmountain mix on this and here’s why.

I do like the way the SACD sounds but also feel it’s a little too soft/wispy and unfocused sounding. From Bob’s comment and his recent mixes, he’s been bringing out the center channel in a very pronounced way (often too much IMO); but perhaps it would give the album a whole new feel, that would be interesting.
I like BC's use of the center! Just gotta make sure you have a robust speaker with plenty of power.

I like BC's use of the center! Just gotta make sure you have a robust speaker with plenty of power.
On the SACD, (and I should refresh my memory of just how exactly the center sounds) it's more about the whole overall sound of it for me, like I said, a new perspective would be interesting.

And if I recall Baggy, it took a considerable amount of cajoling to get you to settle in with this one and not sell it off! :unsure: 😇

On the SACD, (and I should refresh my memory of just how exactly the center sounds) it's more about the whole overall sound of it for me...

The vocals are pretty evenly dispersed across all three front channels, though there is still a lot of discrete stuff in the center (such as the opening riff to "The Space Between"). I'm wondering which parts of the album sound "soft" or "unfocused" to you? When the low-end comes in on tracks like "Take A Chance With Me", you feel it. In terms of sonics, it's as close to flawless as any multichannel disc in my collection.

The vocals are pretty evenly dispersed across all three front channels, though there is still a lot of discrete stuff in the center (such as the opening riff to "The Space Between"). I'm wondering which parts of the album sound "soft" or "unfocused" to you? When the low-end comes in on tracks like "Take A Chance With Me", you feel it. In terms of sonics, it's as close to flawless as any multichannel disc in my collection.
Hard to explain; just the overall sound of the album. 2022 should bring us some answers on the new one in any case (could major label greed play into this decision 🧐; is it under EMI / UMG? )

Back