Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven Wilson can mix all of them except "Flesh + Blood".

That one should be remixed by Bob Clearmountain like "Avalon" was. Wonder why they never remixed that one too...

"I'd definitely be in for the earlier Roxy stuff, everything up to Siren, maybe Manifesto." That is the prime Roxy period for me also....I still pull out the thesaurus every time I hear "Mother of Pearl" ...filigree fancy indeed. The sonic attack on Country Life and Siren would make excellent 5.1 material. John

Can you imagine what the crescendo in "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" could sound like in surround? For Your Pleasure next please.

Can you imagine what the crescendo in "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" could sound like in surround? For Your Pleasure next please.

It sounds like "Roxy Music" and "For Your Pleasure" might be reissued at the same time, so more to enjoy! :)

That one should be remixed by Bob Clearmountain like "Avalon" was. Wonder why they never remixed that one too...

Avalon was a crown jewel in terms of "hits" and popularity (one of the very first WEA CDs, etc.) and great as Flesh + Blood is, it is a sleeper by comparison. Much the same way Boys and Girls is valued over something like Bete Noir (major WANT!).

Just finished watching "More Than This: the Roxy Music Story".
AMAZING documentary on the band.
This song was one that they talked about from the first two albums, so I went and found it and listened to it.
OMG…can I have this in surround now, please?

Also, does anybody else feel like the first half of the song (before the drop) is reminiscent of Jim Morrison and the Doors?

Bob Clearmountain probably did remix Flesh + Blood years ago, along with a load of other stuff we've never heard or know about.

case in point: I have absolutely no proof but I reckon his Reckless 5.1's an old mix shelved from UMe's SACD days, hence the 88khz source material on the new HFPA and isn't just a one off.

Bob Clearmountain probably did remix Flesh + Blood years ago, along with a load of other stuff we've never heard or know about.

case in point: I have absolutely no proof but I reckon his Reckless 5.1's an old mix shelved from UMe's SACD days, hence the 88khz source material on the new HFPA and isn't just a one off.

Adam, initially I was going to totally agree with you but only thing we know for sure is Bob said he started mixing everything in surround as well as stereo around 2001 as his wife(how cool is she?) insisted he do stuff in surround and that is based on the following article back in 2003:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0.../roxymusic.htm

and Bob said:

"Everthing I've mixed for the last two years I've done also in surround, even though it's usually just stereo mixes that people want," he explains. "It was actually my wife's suggestion. A few years ago she said 'You should be mixing everything in surround.' I was like 'My God, how am I going to do that?' But I sat down and thought about it for a minute and I realised that there were some factory modifications that I'd had done when I ordered my SSL desk which facilitated being able to do both at the same time quite easily".

Now just need a detective to find out what he has been mixing since then, so besides 5.1's done by major labels and never put out we also have people like Bob C. who has done 5.1 mixes as well and they are just waiting to be released by artists if they so desire and can afford to do so.

This link has already been posted before but if you look through Bob Clearmountain's mixing credits there'so loads of great stuff there.. no proof just a hunch but I suspect a number of them also got mixed in 5.1.. Flesh + Blood, more Ferry solo included and various Bryan Adams and Springsteen albums.. and a couple of tracks off TFF's Seeds Of Love..

http://www.mixthis.com/discography.html

Hope besides the first two albums, we also get 5.1 surround mixes of "Virginia Plain", "Pyjamarama", and their respective B-sides! :)

Hope besides the first two albums, we also get 5.1 surround mixes of "Virginia Plain", "Pyjamarama", and their respective B-sides! :)

Unless tapes are lost or unusable I'd suspect that we'd get a good selection of stuff given what SW has done with other packages. In addition to the single tracks some alt takes, demoes, BBC stuff....whatever they can find...go for it! Let him do his magic with it!

Oh it's definitely good enough just don't want to pay the moneypeople are asking for for it..

Back