• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

DVD/DTS Poll Roxy Music - ROXY MUSIC [DTS DVD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DTS DVD of Roxy Music - ROXY MUSIC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I am watching 2019 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductees, Roxy Music and I thought of this deluxe release that I did not buy at last years release, 2/2/18 because it was too expensive. I decided to look again today and still $140.00, can't figure why so expensive for the life of me.
If you wanted the box set.....about a year ago you could have gotten plenty of them super cheap off of Amazon for $63.....I picked up a few at that time but are now SOL

par4ken

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I usually don't complain about surround mixes not sounding like the stereo version but one thing I don't like about this is the sax and synthesiser seem buried in the surround mix. The mix however is very immersive as are all of Steve Wilsons mixes that I have listened to. The sound quality of the 5.1 is excellent overall. I played the CD of the album through the QSD-1 for comparison and it sounds almost as discrete but was very distorted. I ripped the CD to see if it's brick walled and or clipped, the screen shot speaks for it's self. I would recommend getting the Japanese stereo SACD and playing in through the QSD-1 / QSD-2 or Surround Master.

Screenshot (4).png

himey

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I usually don't complain about surround mixes not sounding like the stereo version but one thing I don't like about this is the sax and synthesiser seem buried in the surround mix. The mix however is very immersive as are all of Steve Wilsons mixes that I have listened to. The sound quality of the 5.1 is excellent overall. I played the CD of the album through the QSD-1 for comparison and it sounds almost as discrete but was very distorted. I ripped the CD to see if it's brick walled and or clipped, the screen shot speaks for it's self. I would recommend getting the Japanese stereo SACD and playing in through the QSD-1 / QSD-2 or Surround Master.

View attachment 43087
Silly recommendation. This 5.1 mix is great.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Give up on the 5.1 mix because the stereo mix is bricked?

Then just create a faux surround from the Japanese SACD?

Btw many surround mixes can appear to be less “punchy” when things are spread out. Mono can seem quite punchy even with a loss of inner detail.

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Living the high life..Bungalow Ranch Style. SoCal
I'm a long time Roxy fan and it's amazing what Mr.Wilson was able to accomplish with this release.
Every other release (including Japanese SACD) sounds dull & flat to me.
The band was still in the learning stage and their sound was kind of crude. Like a great conductor Steve has put together the pieces and made something that wasn't there before.
My jaw dropped when the bass hit on the first song.
IMHO the only Roxy oriented release that beats this is Boys & Girls. Bryan Ferry had the cream of studio pros to choose from & more tracks.
With much less than that at his disposal Steve Wilson has produced a masterpiece.

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Living the high life..Bungalow Ranch Style. SoCal

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I voted 9. Not for the music but the 5.1 DTS DVD 24/96 is superb. Lots of discrete stuff including some of it gimmicky which I happen to like. The whole point of listening in surround is to hear lots of moving parts which this has. If I was a big fan of the album it would get a 10. I can see myself listening again so who knows, maybe I will give it a 10 after some more listens. I didn't say but the overall fidelity started a little muddy and then shined up really nice, that could have been my ears adjusting from the previous disc to this one?
A solid purchase for the surround fan. I am glad I finally played and listened to this as RTBluray was very hot on it previously and glad I could share in his enjoyment.