Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Give up on the 5.1 mix because it's terrible.
I have to disagree, with the caveat being that I probably don't know the original stereo mix as well as you do. On my system, the 5.1 has excellent clarity & separation--I particularly like the breakdown part in "Re-Make" where the solo instruments call out from different speakers (bass fronts, synth center, sax rears, guitar front left, etc). The middle section of "The Bob" with the war sounds in the rear channels is demo-worthy for me. I don't know if I'd say it's one of Wilson's best mixes, but I like it a lot.

par4ken

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have to disagree, with the caveat being that I probably don't know the original stereo mix as well as you do. On my system, the 5.1 has excellent clarity & separation--I particularly like the breakdown part in "Re-Make" where the solo instruments call out from different speakers (bass fronts, synth center, sax rears, guitar front left, etc). The middle section of "The Bob" with the war sounds in the rear channels is demo-worthy for me. I don't know if I'd say it's one of Wilson's best mixes, but I like it a lot.
The mix needs the sax and synth to be brought up in level to match what's on the stereo recording, not buried in the mix!

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I am not reviewing this release. Let me get that out of the way. I have not heard it. So why am I posting? I love Roxy Music. I have pretty near all their stuff, even the later stuff that were really Bryan Ferry solo albums. I also have pretty much of his solo albums. I don't have much of Eno's ambient music. So there, I am a big fan. But. I bought this album when I was in college in the late 1970s. Its one of their best, to be sure. Groundbreaking even. Then I bought it again a few years later when I found a rare gatefold original release. I think I now have a total of three copies. SO I was excited when the 5.1 was announced. Then I saw the price. I am not saying its not worth it but do we always have to pay over $100 for multiple mixes and thick glossy books? Can't we get just the blu ray or DVD as the case may be for, say, $40? How many times do I have to buy the same title? Oh and since some of you guys were talking about your experience when you first heard this album after listening to Zeppelin and such, check out this movie. This album plays a big part in it to the characters. Its a sad movie mostly, but I quite like it. Flashbacks of a Fool. Flashbacks of a Fool (2008) - IMDb

par4ken

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I can tell anyone what I like or dislike about any recording or any mix (or about any flavour of ice cream). Usually I don't care if the surround mix is radically different from the stereo version, but in this case I do. Again it's the sax and synth parts that have to be blaring away that's what I've always loved about this recording. To subdue those parts is to create something bland for the masses, elevator music! Anyway I still gave it an 8, so I didn't hate it, just that I'll always turn to the stereo version in synthesized quad, which does sound very very good to me.

knifeman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Jesus no. You think it is terrible and I think it is one of his finest mixes. It would be like me explaining why I love ice cream to someone who has already decided they think ice cream is terrible. Ask someone who gave it a low score if you can find one.
I love ice cream, too! 🍨

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I can tell anyone what I like or dislike about any recording or any mix (or about any flavour of ice cream). Usually I don't care if the surround mix is radically different from the stereo version, but in this case I do. Again it's the sax and synth parts that have to be blaring away that's what I've always loved about this recording. To subdue those parts is to create something bland for the masses, elevator music! Anyway I still gave it an 8, so I didn't hate it, just that I'll always turn to the stereo version in synthesized quad, which does sound very very good to me.
Reminds me of when I tracked down an SQ copy of Get Your Wings by Aerosmith. As a longtime fan who had all their stereo releases before they came out in SQ, I Was very surprised by the differences. I still prefer the stereo mixes but enjoy the surrounds too. Same goes for the BTO Q8s. There were differences in solos from the stereo LPs I'd had for quite a while before the quads.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I tracked down an SQ LP (on eBay) as a birthday present to myself about 10 years ago. Such a cool youthful Rick album and great to hear it anew.

Anyway, about this Roxy Music album and the SW mixes. The band and Phil in particular liked how he opened it up and revealed so much detail that got crushed in the original stereo mix. And felt that the 5.1 is definitive.

Now the sore spot to this day is a double whammy. The price was exorbitant, and we did not get high-res media. This hurts the band’s income on sales and the likely future of more Roxy getting the SW treatment. It encourages the ripping and trading and flipping of the deluxe sets. We all can’t tie up $100 a pop on each our surround purchases..

Last edited: