Roxy Music to Reunite for First North American Tour in Nearly 20 Years

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From RollingStone.com-
Two years removed from their Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction, Roxy Music will reunite this September for the art-rockers’ first North American tour together in nearly two decades.

Founding members Bryan Ferry, Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, and Paul Thompson have announced a 10-date, 50th-anniversary arena trek that begins Sept. 7 at Toronto’s Scotiabank Arena and concludes Sept. 28 at Los Angeles’ the Forum. Along the way, the reunited act will take the stage at New York’s Madison Square Garden, San Francisco’s Chase Center, Chicago’s United Center, and other major U.S. cities.

St. Vincent will serve as a special guest for the near-entirety of the Roxy Music tour; she won’t perform at the gig at Boston’s TD Garden on Sept. 17.

The 10-date jaunt marks Roxy Music’s first tour of the U.S. since 2003, and their first trek together since their For Your Pleasure dates in 2011. Following that tour, Manzanera told Rolling Stone it was unlikely the band would ever perform together again. “I don’t think we’re going to do any more shows,” Manzanera said in 2014. “I think our job is done. When we stopped touring in 2011, Andy [Mackay] and I looked at each other and said, ‘Our job is done here.’”
However, in 2019, singer Ferry, saxophonist Mackay, and guitarist Manzanera reunited onstage — without drummer Paul Thompson — to perform six songs together at their Rock Hall induction ceremony; also absent from the Cleveland ceremony was Roxy Music’s founding soundscapist Brian Eno.

Tickets for the North American tour — which celebrates the 50th anniversary of the band’s 1972 self-titled debut LP — go on sale beginning April 4. Next Friday, Roxy Music will reissue their first two albums, Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure, on vinyl, the first two releases in a year-long series of vinyl reissues.

Roxy Music Tour Dates

Sept. 7 – Toronto, ON @ Scotiabank Arena
Sept. 9 – Washington, DC @ Capital One Arena
Sept. 12 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
Sept. 15 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
Sept. 17 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
Sept. 19 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
Sept. 21 – Austin, TX @ Moody Center
Sept. 23 – Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
Sept. 26 – San Francisco, CA @ Chase Center
Sept. 28 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum

I saw Roxy here in Glasgow back in 2001 or something like that and they were absolutely brilliant that night, playing a great blend of hits and albums tracks. Just brilliant from start to finish. I'm not sure I'll go and see them again as we're all a bit older and well, I appreciate a good night's sleep more than I did back then. If Eno was playing I'd almost certainly go - if I could get a ticket - but that's never gonna happen so that's that.

Incidentally, I've been listening to Boys and Girls by Bryan Ferry a lot recently, and with tongue slightly in cheek (Alan Parson's cheek), it seems to me it's the album Avalon could've been... :)

Incidentally, I've been listening to Boys and Girls by Bryan Ferry a lot recently, and with tongue slightly in cheek (Alan Parson's cheek), it seems to me it's the album Avalon could've been... :)
I prefer Boy's & Girls over Avalon. Avalon is a little too smooth for me.
I think there is more action in the B&G mix as well.
My only criticism is that it's mastered a little loud.

Hope they come Down Under also, but like most older bands, they probably don’t have the stamina to travel the distance, understandably.
However, I’ve read that they are re-releasing all their albums on Half-Speed vinyl for their 50th Anniversary…
As a converted surround enthusiast, 🤞 they also re-release all of their albums on Blu-ray 5.1 and Stereo. 🙏

Back