HiRez Poll RPWL - World Through My Eyes [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of RPWL - WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
This was a great find. Glad it was mentioned on here. Picked it up after reading all the positive comments and am really enjoying it. Real good surround mix and the music is very interesting. Not necessarily great songwriting, but musically is very good.

Anybody know if the RPLW means something.

KW

Well, Well,

I was just notified via e-mail that my copy will not be available for three weeks. JUST MY LUCK :mad:

Ken (From Lasers Edge) even asked if I still wanted to place an order!

Naturally, based on all of your input, I requested that my order be fillied ASAP.

Now, I really am itching to get my hands on this thing :cool:

Frantic said:
Well, Well,

I was just notified via e-mail that my copy will not be available for three weeks. JUST MY LUCK :mad:

Ken (From Lasers Edge) even asked if I still wanted to place an order!

Naturally, based on all of your input, I requested that my order be fillied ASAP.

Now, I really am itching to get my hands on this thing :cool:

I think Lasers Edge is a one man show. Ken is the only one that ever replies and he seems to be the only one that is also mentioned on the website.

Frantic said:
Well, Well,

I was notified that mine shipped on Friday. So, hopefully, I'll get it in about a week.

Of course, I had to pay a premium just to get the darned thing. I checked around the Internet last Thursday and the only two places I found that listed the SACD in stock were Tower and CD Universe. I wasn't sure about paying the $30.00 asking price (ouch!), but then I decided that my money really wasn't worth anything unless I used it to buy some happiness. :) So I took the plunge. (Besides, I got free shipping.) Interestingly, the next day both websites changed their stock status to backordered. So who else besides me ordered it up?

I'm not even the biggest prog-rock music fan, but the RPWL samples I heard sounded somewhat promising. So, hopefully, I end up liking it when it arrives.

It'll be worth the wait; we may have used up the existing inventory with our banter here. I wouldn't stock a lot if it as a retailer, so that's why the temporary outage...

I ordered my SACD from Amazon.Uk and had the disc in 5 days. I have listened to the disc a few times in the car and in surround. I have to say the surround mix was not as aggressive as I thought it would be. The sonics are also not as good as I was expecting, the bass is not as powerful and the highs are a little muted. The music is better than most of the new material that is out in the market place. I am giving it an 8 for both mix and music and the music is what gives it the high rating.

I wonder why this disc didn't show up on the updated HiRez poll results for October? There are now 11 votes, and if my math is right, the score is 8.36, which would put it around rank 50 or so. Not too shabby.

I'll be damned!

I first posted on this selection on 9/9/05. I had ordered this disc on 9/7/05.

Today, I walked into my home and on the table was...................:banana:

Seven weeks! That time flew:eek:

HOWEVER, I am working two doubles back to back and will not be able to give it a good listen until Thursday:mad:

By then, I may be pretty wasted:mad:@:

I may listen twice before my review is submitted. (This is still exciting)

Damn, Laser's Edge Website is not working now. :mad: I was hoping to finally pick this one up.

Another hot tip from QQ! I was so impressed I had to give this a ten! I never heard of these guys and this SACD is excellent. In fact I wonder if this is a formula album, I say this only because they had my "musical number" from beginning to end. I can only say again as in the reviews here that lead me to this, If you like Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree I think you are missing this if you don't have it.

I like the mix, I also happen to like the music.
It took a few listens to get used to the German accent of (one of?) the singers. The style is definitely "progressive".

Their other surround disk, called "Stock", is a DVD with DTS. recommended.

This is an excellent disk all the way around.

It's worth tracking down if you don't have it yet.

I voted a 10. I can't think of many other titles that are of such a high quality in every aspect!

This is a great disc! One that should be heard by any rock fan, especially if you lean proggy.

The Music:
Though the album is generally very good musically, my only complaint is the seemingly weak(er) ending. I like my greatness spread throughout an album, and on this one it seems that the better songs are up front, with some of the slower, less interesting songs at the end.

They definitely get a lot of their inspiration from Pink FLoyd, but they are very definitely their own band as well. It is somewhat like earlier Porcupine Tree (pre Signify - 1996) with a definite Space Rock vibe going on throughout. If you want to chill out to some very good music, this is it.

The Mix:
Wow. One of the best I've heard. Very active and full use of all of the channels. This should be a demo disc. It's that good.

The Fidelity:
SACD DSD. Enough said.

In fact I wonder if this is a formula album, I say this only because they had my "musical number" from beginning to end.
Exactly. After a daily spin of this album for the last week, they've got my "number" too. Sometimes I hear, ELO, John Lennon, Bryan Adams, U2, or other familiar musical phrases. Whether a formula album or not, they do it right. So glad I got this one.

I picked up this from an Amazon marketplace reseller this week. Wow! How have I managed to miss this music for this long? It sounds like a long-lost brother of Porcupine Tree - you can hear the same roots (Floyd, ELO, etc), and the same modern influences, just a different result. And the SACD has a nice mix, aggressive enough for me (I'm not fond of "ambiance" mixes - the rears are there for a reason, use them!), well balanced and clearly produced - not compressed all to heck.

A solid 9.

shinksma

Back