HiRez Poll RPWL - World Through My Eyes [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of RPWL - WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
You may know from my other post that I love this disc! This German progressive rock band sounds a little bit like Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd, but they clearly have a voice of their own. They even do a cover version of "Sea Nature" by Steve Hillage which is a little different, but well done. Music-wise, I think this is one of the best prog rock albums I've heard in the past year.

The surround mix is adventurous, with ample use of the back channels. Sound quality is very good, but one notch short of a 10. Unlike the Donald Fagan DVD-A discs for example, when I crank this up to dangerous levels, it isn't quite as smooth and clean. So, I'm giving this one a 9. It is one of my favorite multi-channel surround discs for sure.

If you like progressive rock, do yourself a favor and check this one out. You can get it at The Laser's Edge (www.lasercd.com). I'm hoping we can get at least 10 reviews of this, because I'd like to see how it stacks up in the HiRez poll. That will be tough, given that this band is virtually unknown, but surely there are at least 10 of you here who are open to a new prog rock group, right? I'd never heard of Porcupine Tree before I started buying hi-rez discs, but now they are a staple in my universal player. By the way, I put RPWL on equal footing with Porcupine Tree. I like "World Through My Eyes" better than "Deadwing", and about the same as "In Absentia".

Must agree it hovers between 9 & 10. It works as an album musically besides the glorious usage of all channels in creative ways.

Many neo-prog albums simply blow because they're either too deriviative or they deliberately write something clever that sounds like exercises stapled together.

I'm pleased to say this is a largely original work and it will easily be re-played many times I'm sure. Definitely worth any trouble to find and glad I took a chance.

Laser's Edge has this listed but doesn't say whether or not it is an SACD.
Does anyone know if this a single inventory title, or is there a separate stereo-only version as well? :confused:

I would hate to buy the wrong one.

I ordered mine from lasers edge and here is what my email receipt showed right after I ordered it:

Quantity: 1 RPWL /World Through My Eyes (Hybrid SACD) - $17.00 Each

Will ship via: US First Class Mail [1 to 3 CDs]

Subtotal: $17.00
Shipping: $2.15
Sales Tax: $0.00
------------------
Total: $19.15

I should have it tomorrow.

I've had the disc for about a week and it has really grown on me..

The surround mix is quite active - the way I like it..

Favourite track is #6 - Sea Nature - traces of the Pink Floyd influences on this track..

I also picked up their Double Disc called STOCK - it has a regular CD as well as DVD with the songs in both DD/DTS 5.1..

Warning - the DVD is a PAL disc - my player plays Pal discs - don't know if you could still play the audio tracks on a NTSC player - nothing special video wise as it is just the words for the songs and a few video segments..

Musically it's good too and worth having in 5.1..

zabble said:
Laser's Edge has this listed but doesn't say whether or not it is an SACD.
Does anyone know if this a single inventory title, or is there a separate stereo-only version as well? :confused:

I would hate to buy the wrong one.
Strange, it used to be listed....both the cd and the sacd, now I only see the cd. Sold out maybe?

Yup. Looks like the SACD is not listed anymore. Mine should hopefully arrive today. It has been a week since it was sent and I chose the more expensive, "Air Mail" option.

On lasers Edge, the one that I selected on Friday 9/9/05 was listed as an SACD for $17. Going back to that date, they were still listing two separate selections.

Sadly, my mailbox remains empty as well :(

This is really exciting as we wait for new material!!!!

THERE IS STILL HOPE :banana:

I emailed Laser's edge today about the availabilty of the SACD. Here is their response:

mike:

we normally have the sacd in stock. it's on back order at the moment. we should see fresh stock in a couple of weeks.

ken golden

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit to hear it. :eek: I'm not sure what that means for those who already ordered one. :confused:

zabble said:
I emailed Laser's edge today about the availabilty of the SACD. Here is their response:

mike:

we normally have the sacd in stock. it's on back order at the moment. we should see fresh stock in a couple of weeks.

ken golden

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit to hear it. :eek: I'm not sure what that means for those who already ordered one. :confused:

I guess it is all us damn Canadians depleting the stock. Checked the mailbox and it is still not here. That's a week in transit from New Jersey. Seems like a long time.

Two weeks huh?

Well, I've gone this long without ever hearing of them so I guess two weeks isn't that bad.

I hope the hype, if it is in fact great material, gives this band a boost. We sure can use some good prog out there! :smokin

Well it finally arrived. So it has been built up over the past week. I find the music excellent. The surround is also excellent. The bass end and top are both a bit annoying. The bass is either not there or there is too much. It is very hard to get it adjusted. I usually don't have this problem. The top end I find annoying as well in many parts. Much like some of the Elton John SACD's. Anyway I am giving the music a 9 and the sound a 7 which rounds things out at an 8. Still well worth getting.

Fantastic music! Excellent mix. Sonically, it's a mixed bag (it was recorded at a bunch of studios, that never helps). Sometimes the high end is "edgey". But man, some great 5.1 mixes along the way. Love the Indian instrumentation too.

A strong 8. Could have been a 10 with better sonics.

Hey, either Guy or daved64 did not actually vote! You both said "8" in your posts, but there's only one vote for "8" in the bar chart. I just want to make sure we get 10 votes for this disc so we can see it on the HiRez Poll Results next month! :)

VACamper said:
Hey, either Guy or daved64 did not actually vote! You both said "8" in your posts, but there's only one vote for "8" in the bar chart. I just want to make sure we get 10 votes for this disc so we can see it on the HiRez Poll Results next month! :)
:eek:

Back