HiRez Poll RPWL - World Through My Eyes [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of RPWL - WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Didn't know of album until reading about it here. Not quite as good as PT but still a good album with a good surround mix and decent sonics.

We've been talking about this SACD for a couple years here. Be sure to also track down RPWL - Stock; as far as I know this is an odds and ends collection but the special edition 2 CD version contains a 5.1 DD mix. Some of my favorite material on that one.

I picked up this from an Amazon marketplace reseller this week. Wow! How have I managed to miss this music for this long? It sounds like a long-lost brother of Porcupine Tree - you can hear the same roots (Floyd, ELO, etc), and the same modern influences, just a different result. And the SACD has a nice mix, aggressive enough for me (I'm not fond of "ambiance" mixes - the rears are there for a reason, use them!), well balanced and clearly produced - not compressed all to heck.

A solid 9.

shinksma

ELO roots in PT? New one on me.

To my ears this album is inconsistant, sound wise. Some tracks sound nice, some are pinched and compressed. Still a nice play on occasion, though I'm currently in need of something heavier.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what could have been. Great mix is flawed by poor sonics, specifically on the first three songs. After that, it is a clear 10! After all is said and done, this is a MUST have. I'm sure it's pretty hard to find by now, but worth the effort. I would search Dutch/European sites. I got mine at Rik's Records when it first came out. Thanks.

I gave this a 10. this is exactly what I 'm looking for in terms of both content, sonics (could've been slightly better but still great) and mix regarding new music.

Aggressive use of rear channels when necessary. wonderful songs!

Thanks to all who recommended this album. Got it in 2 days from Amazon.co.uk - they have 1 left now - as do Amazon.com (maybe it's the same one!)

Put it on today to have a quick listen and played it right through, which is pretty rare for me with a disc and band I haven't heard before.

If you don't have this and like Pink Floyd, PT, and other prog music buy it while you still can. Even heard some Manfred Mann's Earthband type phrasing for those of you with a good memory.

Good album! and I've now got Stock CD+DVD on the way through Ebay. What did we do before the internet?!!

RPWL are another band that I was a fan of long before I discovered, quite by accident, that they had 5.1 mixes of a couple of their albums available. World Through My Eyes is, imho, one of their best albums - the title track, roses and several others on the album are absolute prog masterpieces and come across very well in 5.1. The mixes on this hybrid SACD are on the whole very accomplished and use discrete positioning to great effect. There are also some wonderful effects that use the surround channels and panning extremely well. A solid 8.

I don't remember being very excited by this when I got it (mixwise, content-wise, fidelity-wise)..
I'll have to give it another listen as I've clearly missed something everyone else here is getting! :eek:

I don't remember being very excited by this when I got it (mixwise, content-wise, fidelity-wise)..
I'll have to give it another listen as I've clearly missed something everyone else here is getting! :eek:

Playing it again last night before I rated it I found it to be much better than I remembered it to be. Some lack of fidelity and consistency between tracks are the reasons why its an 8 and not a 10 in my book.

Just picked this up and noticed that the track times between the CD and the SACD stereo layer are significantly different (the SACD stereo and SACD 5.1 are the same).

Does anyone know if the stereo on the SACD layer are down mixes of the 5.1 mixes or unique stereo mixes for the SACD.

Good atmospheric prog rock. As others have mentioned the sound quality varies from very good (Everything Was Not Enough) to mediocre (3 Lights). However I really like the songs, and the surround mix matches the progressive material well. Overall I’ll give this an 8.

I played this album a few days ago and had forgotten how truly good it is. So good, in fact, I played it again tonight. Then wondered what I voted, only to find I never did. Excellent content. Very active mix. Some flawed sonics. Its a 9 from me, mostly due to the content.

I gotta play this more often.

Does anybody have 'RPWL plays Pink Floyd “The Man And The Journey”' ? It’s got a 5.1 DVD, but is a live recording, so, usual question – is it ‘proper’ 5.1 or is it band upfront with audience and ambience in the rears?

Mix: 4/5: Quite a lot in rears, and some nice panning, but the fuzzy sound makes it less than fully discrete.

Sound: 2/5: It's ok at times, but it sounds a bit fuzzy and muffled. And nothing has the wow factor like on most SACDs. DR is about 7 - 9. I turned up the treble a bit.

Music: 4/5: A bit drippy, but slightlydelic, and a nice mixture of old skool prog with some more modern synths. Voice is like Gilmour and the piano on Bound To Reach The End is pure Echoes.

I'm trying to weight my scores for QQ (If I love/ hate the music, it matters to me, but much less so to other people), so this translates to:
4*3 + 2*2 + 4*1 = 20/30 = 6.66 = 7

[And to answer my earlier question about The Man And The Journey - it is not a full-on discrete mix but it is much better than a 'normal' live mix. Also sound and pic quality are good. I would score that 4 mix, 5 sound, 5 music = 9/10.]

Last edited:
Back