Quad LP/Tape Poll Rufus featuring Chaka Khan: Rags to Rufus [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the QS/Q8 of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - Rags to Rufus

• 8 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Rufus's sophomore LP, Rags to Rufus - released in May 1974, it yielded two hit singles: Tell Me Something Good (written by Stevie Wonder, who was a fan of the band) and You Got the Love, which was co-written by Chaka Khan along with session guitarist Ray Parker Jr., who'd later go on to success with both Raydio and the Ghostbusters theme tune as a solo artist.

rufus-rags-LP-1.jpgrufus-rags-q8-1.jpg

ABC Command Quadraphonic CQD-40024 [QS LP] ABC 7022-809 H [Q8]
Discogs links: LP / Q8
Wiki page for the album: Rags to Rufus

Side 1
  1. You Got the Love
  2. I Got the Right Street (But the Wrong Direction)
  3. Walkin' in the Sun
  4. Rags to Rufus
  5. Swing Down Chariot
Side 2
  1. Sideways
  2. Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe
  3. Tell Me Something Good
  4. Look Through My Eyes
  5. In Love We Grow
  6. Smokin' Room

Easy "10" for me. A classic album for sure - and if I were to demo vinyl quad to someone, I'd play this disc. The QS LP as heard through the Surround Master is honestly a very solid representation of the discrete quad mix you get on the Q8 tape. From the sweet spot, it appears absolutely discrete in all directions with no audible separation artifacts. The lead vocals and solos (guitar, sax, synth, etc) are locked to the center front position, drums across the front channels, with percussion, rhythm guitars, keys, backing vocals, and various other cool elements in the rear channels.

As far as quad mixes go, this is up there with the best of 'em. "You Got The Love" kicks off with the rhythm guitar chipping away in the right rear channel. The instrumental "Sideways" makes for a great quad demo as it starts in mono (front left only), then expands to stereo (both front channels), and finally engages the rears midway through the song. The pre-chorus 'heavy breathing' effect in "Tell Me Something Good" pans around-the-room, and the talk box that enters in the second verse is isolated in the right rear speaker.

Back