HiRez Poll Rundgren, Todd - LIARS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Todd Rundgren - LIARS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title - (y) :phones (n)

One of the better DVD-A titles to come from 5.1 Entertainment - an actual high resolution discreet mix! Better yet the 5.1 mix is by Todd Rundgren himself. As this is a "home recording" with Todd playing most if not all of the instruments with a heavy emphasis on synths, the programmed drum machines can get a bit tiresome. However, some great songs and vocals. Musically, one of his better efforts in some time.

I like this disc, and gave it an 8 overall. It was one of the first DVD-Audio discs I bought, which was only 6 months ago (I now have over 40, and another 40 SACDs!). I'm a Todd Rungren fan from way back (early '70s), and I have to agree that musically, this is his best release since 1989's "Nearly Human". These are well-crafted pop/rock songs, a little heavy on the synthesizers and drum machines, but catchy nontheless. For the music alone, I would give it a 9.

The surround mix is not bad, but not the best either, and it varies from song to song. On about half the songs, the mix sounds like all of the instruments and vocals were spread out evenly among all speakers, with nothing to distinguish the rear channels from the front. The mix on other songs is more discrete, with the surrounds used for specific sounds to give more directional cues. Sound quality is very good, but short of excellent, perhaps due to the lack of acoustic instruments that would benefit it.

Finally, on my universal player (Denon DVD-2910), the menus fequently get out of sync with the music, and you have to return to the playlist if you want to re-sync them in order to browse the lyrics for each song. So, this disc loses a point for it's uneven surround mix and minor menu problems (though that could be a problem with my player).

Despite these drawbacks, I still recommend this disc. The music is very good (all 74 minutes of it!), and the surround mix is enjoyable, certainly better than the stereo CD I had to begin with.

I think the mix is pretty good, I agree some songs have a better surround mix for the rear channels than others, but it's interesting. I give the mix a 9. The content on the other hand I give a 5. I'm not a huge Rundgren fan but I did like much of his material from the 70's and had the pleasure of catching him in concert at the old Cleveland Stadium in 77. Not much in the way of special features. However sound quality is crisp and clean. Overall I give this DVD-A a high 7. Worth checking out!

Got this one out and gave it a listen. I haven't listened to it in quite a while. I remember why now. Nice music and nice surround mix, just nothing special. Good for a listen about once a year. Pleasant. If this one wasn't surround, it would not remain in my collection. I gave it a 7.

I've listened to this a few times at this point and I totally love it. I feel "Liars" ranks up there with Todd's best work, including "Something/Anything" and "A Wizard, A True Star". The songwriting and performances are brilliant, creating an evocative and contemplative mood for the listener. The surround mix is exceptional, probably the very best to ever come out of Silverline. I was not surprised to see that Todd mixed the album for 5.1 himself. His talent as a musician and producer shine all the way through on this disc. I cannot recommend this title enough. Nine very enthusiastic points.

Does anyone know if the LIARS DVD-A has a stereo pcm track? Thanks!

I took a chance on this, since I'm not a huge TR fan. I was pleasantly surprised by the songs, the lyrics and his message. On the mix, I would give it a solid 8. I initially was going to vote 9, but then listened to a SACD I also bought today, Byran Ferry's Boys & Girls, and liked its mix a tad better.

Rundgren's reliance on programmed drum tracks wore a bit thin on me. Several songs had a little too congested or heavy synth mixes for my taste.

Bought a copy on ebay from a guy in Italy, I didn't knew this Dualdisc was in fact a DVD-A!

Nice music and a very active mix, and I DON'T like electronic music :D

edit:

This disc is surprising me!!!

1. my dualdisc version has no mention of DVD-A or MLP, though it says is 5.1
2. it IS a DVD-A in MLP and 5.1, and DVD-V part has a stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks
3. it also contains a DVD-ROM part with and extras, such as a DVD-A presentation video, WMA and AAC version of the record, and setup test
:51banana:

Last edited:
Does anyone have both the dualdisc and the regular dvd-audio case version? I'm wondering what the differences may be, if any. I've got my choice of both at the local FYE.

I guess the dvd-audio case version has the advantage of being single-sided while the dualdisc has the advantage of being in a standard jewel case.

Todd is one of the most conceited dickheads i have ever met. Was around him for several days and even his wife concluded he was a little boy in a big body. buy it to pee on.

ultimately it's a Silverline release - how great can the surround mix really be..!?

if it IS up to snuff, it'd be one of a mere handful I've ever heard that were worth bothering with.

very cheap and its worth taking the plunge, otherwise I'd save my money and put it towards the scores of great mixes from the past 40 years that are out there to discover and lap up.

ah right, thanks for the info, I missed that.

it must be one of the 5 Silverlines' that's worth getting then!

so.. you've got your pick of DualDisc or DVDA (I'd read that bit of the thread) and to be honest I can't see how the DualDisc would be the better bet (unless CD playback if the CD side of those DualD's is compatible with your CDP/PC, or CD-sized packaging is important to you) so I'd say why not go get that DVDA before somebody else snaps it up..!?

ah right, thanks for the info, I missed that.

it must be one of the 5 Silverlines' that's worth getting then!

so.. you've got your pick of DualDisc or DVDA (I'd read that bit of the thread) and to be honest I can't see how the DualDisc would be the better bet (unless CD playback if the CD side of those DualD's is compatible with your CDP/PC, or CD-sized packaging is important to you) so I'd say why not go get that DVDA before somebody else snaps it up..!?

There are more than 5 Silverline winners - check out this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1926-Silverline-DVD-A-Winners-amp-Losers

I've seen that thread before but thanks for jogging the memory anyway.

most of the music on those discs doesn't appeal to me, unfortunately, or I'd probably have got some/most of them by now.

I'll still probably pick some up in time, when I've really exhausted other lines of enquiry though and I'm desperate for "new" surround stuff!

Back