Rush 5.1 Surround Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VSCurtis

Hi Guys,

Any fellow Rush fans here that know which Rush albums have been released in 5.1 format? I know that there's a 5.1 mix of 2112 but beyond that I haven't been able to find anything else. I think the Sector Boxed Sets were released in high def stereo as well but beyond that I know of nothing else.

Each of the Sector box sets contain one 5.1 mix each. Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings and Signals all mixed by Richard Chycki for DVD-Audio. These three mixes are also available as stand alone Blu-Ray Audio releases.

Chycki also mixed 2112 and Moving Pictures as stand alone releases that were available as both DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio.

Chycki also mixed Hemispheres available as a Blu-Ray Audio only in the deluxe box set.

A Farewell To Kings was remixed by Steven Wilson available as a Blu-Ray Audio only in the deluxe box set.

The Wilson AFTK mix is widely thought to be superior to the Chycki mix.

A box set of live videos was released called Replay X3 which contains Exit Stage Left, A Show Of Hands and Grace Under Pressure Tour all mixed in 5.1 DTS by Alex Lifeson and Mike Fraser

Last edited:
Each of the Sector box sets contain one 5.1 mix each. Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings and Signals all mixed by Richard Chycki for DVD-Audio. These three mixes are also available as stand alone Blu-Ray Audio releases.

Chycki also mixed 2112 and Moving Pictures as stand alone releases that were available as both DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio.

Chycki also mixed Hemispheres available as a Blu-Ray Audio only in the deluxe box set.

A Farewell To Kings was remixed by Steven Wilson available as a Blu-Ray Audio only in the deluxe box set.

The Wilson AFTK mix is widely thought to be superior to the Chycki mix.

A box set of live videos was released called Replay X3 which contains Exit Stage Left, A Show Of Hands and Grace Under Pressure Tour all mixed in 5.1 DTS by Alex Lifeson and Mike Fraser

I have the 2112 Bluray. I love the comic book renderings that go along with the story line. I also have the Replay X3 video set as well as the Bluray concert videos. I have not been able to find the individual Sector album releases. What I have appear to be high def stereo versions of the albums. Thanks for the info I will continue searching for the other recordings.

Rest In Peace Neil Peart... Some Are Born To Move The World. You Moved My World. Thank You Neil For 40 + Years Of Awesome Music. Best Drummer Of My Generation. Bar NONE Hands Down!

Thank you for sharing this video with me Edison. I watched it all the way through. Like you I learned of Neil's passing after the fact, and like you I was FLOORED by the news. I am still mourning his passing. He was my hero. My brother played drums when he was a teenager and I used to watch him play. I think that's where my love of percussion comes from. I can't play because I'm disabled. I have CP and walk with the use of crutches. My fine motor skills are messed up as well, but I still air drum with the best of them. I have the entire Rush catalog. Of all their stuff there are only two albums that I do not care for, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels. I have the Ghost Rider audiobook as well as the Clockwork Angels audiobook.

It's so sad that someone who had already experienced so much pain and lose in his life had to endure even more pain as a part of his death. Life seems so unfair sometimes. The worst fates are handed to those that deserved it the least. Neil certainly DID NOT deserve his fate.

Again thank you for sharing this and best wishes to you.

Welcome to the site VS! :) I'm a drummer and Neil was by far my biggest influence, followed closely by Billy Cobham, Bill Bruford, and Vinnie Colaiuta.

In case you're not familiar with the site yet, one feature I really love is the 'Surround Polls' link up there at the top. Once you click on it, you can enter an artist or album name in the search bar and see each title's ratings, and also click on the link to the thread about each album for everyone's opinions on each one. There are also tabs inside there at the top for different formats too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I will check it out. Do you have any audio files of you playing? If so, please send me one. I'd love to hear you play. I also have Neil's Taking Center Stage. It's instructional but I still love it. It let's me watch Neil play in slow motion so I can see exactly what he's doing. It's also like having an endless supply of Neil Peart drum solos to listen too, Some tracks show him just playing his part of a song and others are live with Geddy and Alex dialed down so you hear Neil more clearly. It's pretty cool

I have not heard any of Neil's stuff prior to his time with Rush. I do recall Neil mentioning JR Flood in a Rush Documentary though. I don't recall which one. I have several Rush Boots and I've seen them live twice. the Presto Tour in Cleveland and the Test For Echo Tour in Dayton, OH. Of all the artists in my music collection Rush is my front runner with 60 albums including Studio Live Compilations Boxed Sets Demos Singles and Bootlegs. Second place goes to Dream Theater with 40. I have 110 GB of music. All rock. NO Hip Hop or Rap NOISE. Hip Hop is outlawed in my home. I despise it with a passion. It is NOT music it is NOISE. (Getting off my soapbox now.) Attached you'll find text files which are a list of Artists and Albums from my collection. The beginning efforts of designing a media database for my media collection. (I'm a software engineer) Feel free to take a look. If something catches your eye just ask, I'm happy to share.

Attachments

• Albums.txt
    20.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Artist.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 157
VSCurtis, another great Peart instruction video that is well worth your time is A Work in Progress.
I don't love the Test for Echo album, but I do love watching Peart deconstruct and perform his parts. And it has helped me get in to the album a bit more than I would have otherwise.

A few weeks ago, shortly after Peart's death was announced, my son and I made a stop out at Lakeside Park in Port Dalhousie. Its only about 30 minutes from where I live in the states. We smoked a spleef in honor of Neil. It's legal in Ontario now.

The old time carousel they have there is still only 5 cents to ride.

A few weeks ago, shortly after Peart's death was announced, my son and I made a stop out at Lakeside Park in Port Dalhousie. Its only about 30 minutes from where I live in the states. We smoked a spleef in honor of Neil. It's legal in Ontario now.

I've ridden the carousel and smoked (a cigarette) on the pier! We made a visit during RushCon 6.

Its a great little town. Years ago, we used to keep a sailboat at the marina there. We still go once a month or so to an Irish pub we like. to get Highland Mussels, meat pies, and Rickard's Reds.

On the occasion we went that I described, that pub was selling T-shirts to honor Neil Peart. On the back were the Lyrics to Lakeside Park.

Last edited:

Nice.... Remember, Puff Puff Pass

I plan on doing something similar when Ozzy passes on. I'm not a smoker. I have done it a few times but don't really care for the sensation of being high. My disability complicates things further. It's hard enough to do things when I'm straight, but there are occasions that warrant a few puffs.

VSCurtis, another great Peart instruction video that is well worth your time is A Work in Progress.
I don't love the Test for Echo album, but I do love watching Peart deconstruct and perform his parts. And it has helped me get in to the album a bit more than I would have otherwise.
I liked Test for Echo. It was a 3+ hour show with no opening band. The boys went WAY back into their catalog and played some of their older stuff. It was awesome! I did not get to see them in concert as much as I would have liked. My disability limits my driving as well. I had a rough road when I first started driving and as a result I never felt comfortable driving on highways or in places that I had never driven before. So if I wanted to go to a concert I had to find a traveling buddy who was willing to do the driving.

Back