HiRez Poll RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Clint Eastwood sent me a PM asking why I voted a "6" for this title. Duh? I've never owned it in any format and hardly knew it even existed. Perhaps it was a senior moment where I thought I was voting for something else. Sorry about that folks. So I have changed my vote to a "9" to match the average of the other votes; but it has no basis.

I knew something was wrong because you didn't offer any comments for your vote...and besides...you don't fit the usual "outlier" profile or the drive by poster who wreaks havoc on the poll results and hides in cyber space:rolleyes:

I knew something was wrong because you didn't offer any comments for your vote...and besides...you don't fit the usual "outlier" profile or the drive by poster who wreaks havoc on the poll results and hides in cyber space:rolleyes:

And since you pointed out my error, I've gotten a Tom Sawyer earworm that simply will not go away. Earworms, no matter the song, drive me crazy! To quote my cousin, "You pay for your mistakes." :SG

And since you pointed out my error, I've gotten a Tom Sawyer earworm that simply will not go away. Earworms, no matter the song, drive me crazy! To quote my cousin, "You pay for your mistakes." :SG

I love Tom Sawyer...probably my favorite Rush song:SG..now by osmosis...you have passed on the earworm and now I have to/want to....listen to it:dance

Just for clarification...I did say Osmosis...not Gos mosis...LMAO

Last edited:
Unselect title 1, and then check title 2. Title 2 may very well be all the songs....or Title 8. I can't remember...

Thanks for that but that makes one big file.
What i ended up doing was as editing my own cue file which can be downloaded here for anybody interested.
https://ufile.io/1pud0
I simply converted the one file in seperate tracks using Foobar.
Let me if it works for you.

I have to agree that what really makes this one special is the "wrap-around drums" effect. Kudos to SW for really getting inventive and pulling out all the stops on this mix - it's definitely one of his best, IMO.

One really interesting thing I noticed is that "Closer To The Heart" has Geddy's vocals in all four corners. Don't think I've ever seen that in a Wilson mix. The center channel is actually silent for the majority of the track, save for two guitar solos. The rest of the album has the trademark dry center channel vocals that SW is known for.

Gotta give it a 10. Hope he's involved with future Rush reissues, but I'm not optimistic.

"Xanadu":
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.41.12 PM.png

"Closer To The Heart":
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.52.44 PM.png

Last edited:
I have to agree that what really makes this one special is the "wrap-around drums" effect. Kudos to SW for really getting inventive and pulling out all the stops on this mix - it's definitely one of his best, IMO.

Glad you like it! There was some discussion on how he should approach the placement of the drums because of the relatively few separate tracks. Originally on Steven's first attempt the mixing of the drums was more usual.

Glad you like it! There was some discussion on how he should approach the placement of the drums because of the relatively few separate tracks. Originally on Steven's first attempt the mixing of the drums was more usual.

"discussion" with whom? For an unbelievably good drummer, Neil seems pretty distantly removed from any mixing decisions.

Hey folks,

So....does anyone know if this is the Super Deluxe Edition with the Wilson mix? The description is vague on that point, but they are calling it the “Super Deluxe” version? TIA

AFTK

Not being a diehard Rush fan I have struggled with this group. I recognize what a talented group of musicians they are but for some reason this band never clicked for me until I heard the Steven Wilson mix of Farewell to Kings. I could not believe how good this mix is. Xanadu with Alex and Neil playing off one another gave me the chills this song made this bloated box set worthwhile I wish groups would offer just the surround. I actually like the whole thing until the last song which I could of done without.. Of all the Rush surrounds I have this one outshines them all. Ok Mikko you can breathe now finally Rush music I actually like.🙏

It certainly looks like it.
Agreed, but my hesitation comes from the fact that the photo and description are the same as the one on the US Amazon site wherein someone points out it is NOT the set with the Wilson 5.1 mix.

Was just wondering if there was some key thing to look out for if I can’t (unless I just missed it) find the name of who did the 5.1 mix? I’ve already got the first AFTK DVD-A and will probably pick this one up if it’s SW, especially after losing NP and finding out that we (apparently) will never see a Permanent Waves 5.1 mix.

Agreed, but my hesitation comes from the fact that the photo and description are the same as the one on the US Amazon site wherein someone points out it is NOT the set with the Wilson 5.1 mix.

Was just wondering if there was some key thing to look out for if I can’t (unless I just missed it) find the name of who did the 5.1 mix? I’ve already got the first AFTK DVD-A and will probably pick this one up if it’s SW, especially after losing NP and finding out that we (apparently) will never see a Permanent Waves 5.1 mix.
I'm not aware that there is any other 40th anniversary deluxe edition with vinyl and all without the SW mix. Maybe the resident Rush aficionado Edisonbaggins can offer some assurance.

Hey folks,

So....does anyone know if this is the Super Deluxe Edition with the Wilson mix? The description is vague on that point, but they are calling it the “Super Deluxe” version? TIA

AFTK
I purchased it in 2018 from this exact same listing on amazon.de (in fact your link goes to the page with a text box reminding me that I purchased it!) and the box set I received contained the 5.1 SW mix.

Back