HiRez Poll RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Wow, it’s so funny to me the differences in the way we listen to music... in a lifetime of listening to rock, I’ve never once thought about whether I was “behind the drum kit” or “in the audience” with regard to the drum mix. I don’t think I even know what the difference would sound like, lol (obviously, I’m not a drummer). But I know this mix sounds great, especially the drums!

That's one of those debates that will never be agreed on by everyone!
Audience perspective vs drummer perspective. Basically all drummers (and any civilian air drummers) want drummer perspective to air drum along to.

Video (when it exists) usually forces audience perspective.
Maybe someone could get creative with an over the shoulder camera on the drums for a video edit and pull off drummer perspective with that?

Video (when it exists) usually forces audience perspective.
Maybe someone could get creative with an over the shoulder camera on the drums for a video edit and pull off drummer perspective with that?

I think maybe Big Big Train did something like for part of a track on the Stone and Steel video. This whole drummers perspective discussion reminds me of the way the Dead's American Beauty DVD-A was supposedly mixed by the drummer Micky Hart, I believe.

I can honestly say I am not a Rush fan Getty voice reminds me of a banshee in heat. This all changed with Farewell to Kings (thank you brother Baggins) This has to be one the best surround sounds mix I ever heard and gave me an appreciation on just how talented this group is. I have never heard a three piece band sound so full. This is also what a discrete mix should sound like and have played this over and over, even Getty voice sounds good to me. I have grown to like Rush and Farewell to Kings for me just ticks off all my boxes. It was worth even buying this over bloated box set to get the 5.1 this is truly amazing surround and it definitely shows how music in this medium should be mixed.

Last edited:
r30_tb_1.jpg

Last edited:
Not much more to say than what has already been said here. The 5.1 Wilson mix and mastering is just heads above any previous version, probably one of SW's best. Geddy's voice is perfection here, sometimes on other discs his voice can be a little straining but here it feels like Wilson rolled off any brightness to make it silky smooth. Lee's bass just shines along with with his mellotron notes. Neil's drums are level set in which they feel one while playing with Lifeson and Lee, a very cohesive unit as it should be. Lifeson's guitar is crisp and you not only just hear the strings but you also feel him playing the strings. It's almost a 4-d experience, Rush comes alive in the room with you on this mix.

Well, I guess I have to start by saying Rush is probably my second favorite band of all time. I met my wife because of their music. I love all eras, they all bring something a little bit different, yet its still amazing to listen to. However, This album is the one I always come back to when someone asks me what my favorite Rush album is.

I thought I would start my Rush 5.1 experience listening to the undisputed champion in their catalog. From the moment the bells and minimoog come in during the title track, I knew I was in for a treat.

‘AFTK’ is just a super balanced in your face rock song once it gets going. I’ve weirdly never paid attention to the birds in the background before.

That bell delay in the rears at the start of ‘Xanadu’ was great. Everything just sounds amazing every time the full band comes in together. The way SW panned the drums is just great. Those tom rolls going around the room put a big smile on my face. I do wish they were in drummer’s perspective like i’ve said above, but it matches what is happening in the stereo version so that's fine.

‘Closer to the Heart’ is another great one. A bit overplayed but again, 5.1 makes it more enjoyable.

The swirling guitar solo during ‘Cinderella Man’ is great, and that subtle fade out synth movement too! Quite the overlooked song If I say so myself.

‘Madrigal’ is usually the one song i’ve never been totally sold on, but the surround sound mix make it much more enjoyable. Not a whole lot of movement, but it doesn’t really need it. SW still made it sound full and luscious.

In ‘Cygnus X-1’, when the voice comes in and resonates through you is awesome. As well as when the Bass starts behind you and slowly pans up to the front as it gets louder. One of the cooler 5.1 moments i’ve ever had. Lots of other great little moments nestled in this mix. Probably my favorite Rush song and this mix helps cement that opinion.

Sometimes I wish there was a little more movement for some songs (Bells in the beginning of ‘Closer to the Heart’) but subtly and disceteness (I think i’m using that word correctly) work too. I’m just a sucker for what people call gimmicky mixing moves.

This whole record is just lovely to listen to. Bass sounds amazing, Geddy’s voice isn't harsh at all. Everything is smoothed out wonderfully and is a pleasure to listen to at any volume. This will probably get played once a week for the rest of my life. If SW only does one Rush 5.1 mix, I’m ecstatic that this is the one. (But please do more! Power Windows would be breathtaking.)

Value: I am a fan of vinyl, so the fact that this was locked into a box set didn’t annoy me that much. I wish every box set had a vinyl version because I find the CD version as the useless one. Its on the BD in better quality! Its annoying that this isn't a stand alone release, but I still think this overall is worth what I paid for in 2020 ($117). The ring is cool at least. There are worse gimmicky things put into other box sets (Marbles… I’m looking at you…)

Its a 10. SW is brilliant. That’s all that needs to be said and I am not looking forward to hearing a couple of Chycki’s mixes…

Highlights: The whole damn thing (Especially Cygnus X-1).

SW is brilliant. That’s all that needs to be said and I am not looking forward to hearing a couple of Chycki’s mixes…

I don't know the classic Rush albums inside-and-out, but from a casual fan's perspective there are a handful of cool moments in the Chycki 5.1's. In "By-Tor And The Snow Dog", the dueling electric guitar and overdriven bass pan up-and-down the sides of the surround field. The flowing stream in "Discovery" is placed directly behind the listener. The opening chimes to "YYZ" go flying all over the place. Fly By Night is probably the best of them in terms of rear channel usage, but it's not even close to what SW achieved with this mix.

I don't know the classic Rush albums inside-and-out, but from a casual fan's perspective there are a handful of cool moments in the Chycki 5.1's. In "By-Tor And The Snow Dog", the dueling electric guitar and overdriven bass pan up-and-down the sides of the surround field. The flowing stream in "Discovery" is placed directly behind the listener. The opening chimes to "YYZ" go flying all over the place. Fly By Night is probably the best of them in terms of rear channel usage, but it's not even close to what SW achieved with this mix.

Thanks for the info! I have Fly by Night on the way (Found the BD for $35, not bad). Looking forward to it.

Finally got an extra copy today. I have a copy but it was in a sealed box and did not want to open. Well it was so worth it, the low end was perfect. This will now be somewhere in my top 10. 9 out of 10 stars for me!!! R.I.P NEP!!!
Welcome to QQ! So glad you are finally able to hear this killer mix! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Finally got an extra copy today. I have a copy but it was in a sealed box and did not want to open. Well it was so worth it, the low end was perfect. This will now be somewhere in my top 10. 9 out of 10 stars for me!!! R.I.P NEP!!!
Nice to see there's another Rush/Surround fan so close by. I'm in Livermore. And I visit Sac a lot. \m/

Old thread. I just bought this from Russia from 20 dollars. Wow!!! Here is what I always believed about RC mixes: they seemed lazy. I don't hear the use of the rear channels. The drums were buried and everything was front reference level. I don't believe that Richard knew how to mix 5.1 correctly.Maybe I am wrong but the comparison between these two validates my thinking. Honestly, as kid who first heard Rush in the 70s I am living in a
sci-fi life where I have a multi channel stereo on playing hi fi loseless tracks on my computer. This was a fantasy to me as a kid and I really want to say thank you to Steve Wilson for treating this material with the reverence it should have had. What a treat this is. I would say a 9.5. I am grateful I lived this long. I hope my kids sit in the basement some day and pull out my stuff and see what dad liked. I am getting old and my time is finishing up so it gets bitter sweet as the days go by when you get something like this which just really is wonderful.

Old thread. I just bought this from Russia from 20 dollars. Wow!!! Here is what I always believed about RC mixes: they seemed lazy. I don't hear the use of the rear channels. The drums were buried and everything was front reference level. I don't believe that Richard knew how to mix 5.1 correctly.Maybe I am wrong but the comparison between these two validates my thinking. Honestly, as kid who first heard Rush in the 70s I am living in a
sci-fi life where I have a multi channel stereo on playing hi fi loseless tracks on my computer. This was a fantasy to me as a kid and I really want to say thank you to Steve Wilson for treating this material with the reverence it should have had. What a treat this is. I would say a 9.5. I am grateful I lived this long. I hope my kids sit in the basement some day and pull out my stuff and see what dad liked. I am getting old and my time is finishing up so it gets bitter sweet as the days go by when you get something like this which just really is wonderful.
If you bought a Russian Federation version, they are not the same. I have both RF and The BR from the boxset. They are night and day as far as the sound goes!! FYI

Back