HiRez Poll Rush - HEMISPHERES [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Rush - HEMISPHERES

• Total voters
After watching Eddisonbaggins You Tube reviews (two) I want to relisten to the 5.1 and I think I want to also give the hi res 2.0 a good listen. Every once in awhile a stereo will trump a surround. I have been reading and watching a lot of opinions need to put on the brakes on this and give it a thoughtful listen.

Finally listened to it.
I have "defended" RC's MCH (to call it something) mixes...
BOTTOM LINE:
RC DOES NOT GET SURROUND.
Yes, he might have "his own version of what SURROUND IS " in his head but ..
HE
DOES
NOT
GET
THE CONCEPT OF

SURROUND
Why do I say this?
Cause , listen to the elements he places in the rears...
He obviously thinks that Surround is a GIMMICK, he does not understand that the rears are as much of a valid space to place key elements of the mix in (like most engineers we love!)
mind you , the mix is quite clean and much clearer than the original Stereo one but that's it, EXTENDED STEREO...
Which leaves us with what the band probably thinks of "SURROUND".. more or less the same...
As it is, I am happy I spent $84 on this , as opposed to $140 and glad to see it finally made it out...(AND HOPING SW DOES A MCH MIX LIKE HE DID WITH AFTK)

One final thought... I think the whole attitude of the band towards this is reflected in the b&w photo in the middle of the book..it is REVERSED.. not a lot of QC went into this..
as much as I liked the other MCH mixes I will give this a "respectable" 6..
VALE...

EDIT: it is kind of a sad state of affairs when I am more psyched about the whole SIDE B played live to video than the MCH mix...

Last edited:
I enjoyed that Mike, I really did. I do think your analysis has much merit and it sort of underscores to me...why I must not like the mix as I heard it. On the other hand, hearing things isolated as you did...compared to other formats from old pisses me off. Makes it clear to me anyway, that the work done on the new 5.1 is just sloppy and with little care.

I voted 7. It is really not that good on it's own and then when you have other titles that are in my mind just recently released I just can't vote higher. The stereo is actually easier to listen to as it sounds good and I am not sitting wanting to hear something that is not there.

When you filter the surround poll today by "Rush", you get this result:

9.57 Rush A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANN. STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX)
8.17 Rush A FAREWELL TO KINGS (2011 5.1 SURROUND MIX)
8.01 Rush MOVING PICTURES
7.59 Rush 2112 (Five Point One)
7.37 Rush FLY BY NIGHT
6.80 Rush HEMISPHERES
5.54 Rush SIGNALS

This is exactly how I would rank the Rush surround mixes (although Hemispheres and Signals are interchangeable at the bottom for me).

That pretty much nails it.

I'll have to listen to them all again at some point, but I recall liking Signals about as much as any of them (except Wilson's AFtK).
That list doesn't have Snakes & Arrows, which I'd say is the worst.
Yeah... Snakes and Arrows is unlistenable due to the poor fidelity (although I think there is an OK surround mix buried in there)... still, I've kept my disc just because it's Rush :)

Ok all from the mouth of the one and only Geddy Lee!!!! Today on Eddie Trunks show on Volume Satation on XM.....while the main topic was about his new book just being released today....Eddie asked about the back catalog and Geddy replied “I have nothing to do with these releases, but Alex has a little to do about checking them out but not any more than that.” He also states that the RECORD COMPANY has EVERYTHING to do with them, not the band themselves....!!! Well there you have it....these OVER THE TOP OVER PRICED BOX SETS are just a CA$H GRAB for the record companies (for the most part)

I don’t blame the companies as they need something to make money on...but if a band such as RUSH with the reputation that they have as a band, for themselves as well as their fans, should put in as much effort when releasing expanded or new mixes or material that haven’t been released before, to have the final say in what is included. Nuff said

Sorry for being so long winded😀

Wow......another major discussion about RUSH on the XM Satalite station Volume on the show Debatable with the last caller bringing up what the members should do next was that Neil should write and produce a mini-series or a full series based on 2112 and that Geddy/Alex should be more involved in their future Anniversary box sets in mixing their albums in multi-channel sound. He caller also brought up that with how complex RUSHS music is and layered it is it would be a perfect thing for them to do while figuring out what they will do next. Caller also brought up The Beatles “White Album” & Hendrix Electric Ladyland.....then the hosts really got into it. Listen to it if you have XM on demand....it’s very interesting to say the least.😀😀😀😀😀

Ok all from the mouth of the one and only Geddy Lee!!!! Today on Eddie Trunks show on Volume Satation on XM.....while the main topic was about his new book just being released today....Eddie asked about the back catalog and Geddy replied “I have nothing to do with these releases, but Alex has a little to do about checking them out but not any more than that.” He also states that the RECORD COMPANY has EVERYTHING to do with them, not the band themselves....!!! Well there you have it....these OVER THE TOP OVER PRICED BOX SETS are just a CA$H GRAB for the record companies (for the most part)

I don’t blame the companies as they need something to make money on...but if a band such as RUSH with the reputation that they have as a band, for themselves as well as their fans, should put in as much effort when releasing expanded or new mixes or material that haven’t been released before, to have the final say in what is included. Nuff said

Sorry for being so long winded😀

I call stuff like this "record company bootlegs". I suppose you could call it a novelty collectors release (like a vinyl picture disc where the focus wasn't on delivering full sound quality). But it comes across more like those old "greatest hits" retrospective releases that always seemed to use nth generation copies of the tapes and just obliterate the sound. That was more a thing in the vinyl days. The CD age started a new thing where every new remaster that gets released degrades the sound a little more (sometimes a lot more) than the last one. I really don't know what someone was going for with that.

Back