RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary edition (with Richard Chycki Dolby Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally listened to the new 5.1 mix and... its a little better than the last one at times, but its still not great. I was really just taking notes while listening, so this is just some of the points I was hearing as I went along, i'll put them into a better formed review at some point.

The kick drum has a nice punch to it, I was real happy on the initial listen with the low end of the drums. Everything sounds a bit clearer and cleaner, which surprised me.

Center speaker has Geddy, Snare and Bass prominently but if you solo it, you can still hear guitars and synth in it, which is just dumb, but its how Chycki mixes. However, if you mute the center, it really just takes away that added bump to get the vocals up totally in the front of the mix. All three of those main instruments are in the main LR as well, so what's the point of the center channel then? Just to add phase to the entire mix? I had a listen without it and really felt no loss from it aside from the vocal and high end of the bass being slightly buried.

The vocals sound a little off, effect wise. It's crystal clear, which is a wonderful to hear but the delay on his vocal up front is just off. It's better than the drowned out ones on the 2011 mix, but I feel he was a little too conservative on this one.

Muting everything but the surrounds has the same effect as 2112 and probably the last mix. It's close to an entire mix back there! I hear all the drums (why do we need any semblance of kick drum back there Rich?), guitars and synths. The vocal is intelligible with some reverb on it. It's really disappointing. There's some volume automations to make it seem like something is happening, but its just all for show.

There also isn't a lot really going on in this mix. Big ole stereo for the most part, which some people like but I am not one of them. You can't really pinpoint where anything is in a mix like this. When there's guitars and synths coming from all 4 speakers, then where is it really? I'm wondering if the Atmos mix got all the attention and this was just a quickly thrown together mix to add to the box set?

So, to sum it up, don't solo any of the speakers and you should be able to enjoy yourself. It's better than the 2011 mix for certain, but still quite the "what could have been?" for me and overall a disappointment. I would give it a 7 at the absolute max, but its probably a 6. Maybe i'll do a deeper dive between the mixes if I find a decent amount of time.

As usual Sound & Vision is late to the party, but here is an excellent article on the 40th Anniversary box with a lot of first hand input.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/moving-pictures-rushs-1981-masterpiece-gets-its-due-atmos
I must have missed this news.... or its incorrect...

Quote from the article:

Moving Pictures Mach 40 is now commemorated in six distinct configurations: the mondo 3CD/1BD/5LP Super Deluxe Edition, 3CD Deluxe Edition, 5LP Deluxe Edition, and 1LP Edition, plus a pair of digital offerings — the Digital Deluxe Edition and a standalone Dolby Atmos Digital Edition.

There is a standalone Atmos Digital Edition? A download? Or is that just the streamed version they are referring to?

I must have missed this news.... or its incorrect...

Quote from the article:

Moving Pictures Mach 40 is now commemorated in six distinct configurations: the mondo 3CD/1BD/5LP Super Deluxe Edition, 3CD Deluxe Edition, 5LP Deluxe Edition, and 1LP Edition, plus a pair of digital offerings — the Digital Deluxe Edition and a standalone Dolby Atmos Digital Edition.

There is a standalone Atmos Digital Edition? A download? Or is that just the streamed version they are referring to?
I'm guessing that is streaming only. If you want to own the Atmos then you will have to spring for the bloated box. :(

I think this is the "cheapest" I've seen the deluxe Moving Pictures box so far ($191 on Amazon US). Still quite a bit though:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SV8DDH...g&sr=1-1-a094db1c-5033-42c6-82a2-587d01f975e8
I FINALLY bit on this and my wife bought it for me...
Well, I got it and the box corner was smashed and it split from the force, the top seam of the LP sleeves were slit by the LPs during shipping, the insert of the Moving Pictures LP was really badly mishandled and totally wrinkled and the driver's window of the Red Barchetta was broken...the pics below show the damage...my wife finally managed to chat with yamazon and they offered either to have us sent it back (for a FEE!!!) and cancel the purchase and BUY IT again (no returns!) OR to get a partial refund which was 50%, which is what we wound up doing...so in the end I got a badly damaged box with cut sleeves, a wrinkled insert and a broken car for $102...oh , well...better than nothing I say...
IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

So much for CZECH Quality control

Going to buy it now! Wait, I just looked it up and saw that it's going for $191.30. Do you have a link of where you saw it on Amazon?
I've been monitoring the price of this box set since it has come out. It's been as low as $147.
The price fluctuates based on the seller. Keep checking back, it will probably come back down to the $150 range at some point (unless it totally sells out). I have it bookmarked and check it out almost daily.

Back