HiRez Poll RUSH - MOVING PICTURES (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of RUSH - MOVING PICTURES (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thought and comments on this 40th anniversary edition of the classic RUSH album "Moving Pictures".
This new 40th anniversary edition features a brand new Dolby Atmos mix along with a 5.1 surround mix.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming platforms:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/moving-pictures-40th-anniversary-super-deluxe/1608979166
Pre-release discussion: RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary edition (with Richard Chycki Dolby Atmos mix)

71vsyGEt+AL._SL1500_.jpg

81pwH1uS+hL._SL1500_.jpg

A "10" from me. Simply super happy with this release, to this point.
Solid Atmos mix. Full 1981 concert, again with a solid mix.
LiS Review:

Hey Mike - I'm pleased that you like the current Atmos mix of Moving Pictures. This title is also a very, very important part of my teen years and it means so much to me. I also had a very pleasant reaction to it, though truthfully, I need more listens. From one MP lover to another, I am loving your reaction! Rock on man!

Hey Mike - I'm pleased that you like the current Atmos mix of Moving Pictures. This title is also a very, very important part of my teen years and it means so much to me. I also had a very pleasant reaction to it, though truthfully, I need more listens. From one MP lover to another, I am loving your reaction! Rock on man!
Thanks Mike for the nice review. Especially appreciated the BLUF! Hear that acronym a lot working with the military. Hope the box comes down some in price so I can make the plunge.

OK, first off, I am listening to the True HD stream and in songs like Red Barchetta or Tom Sawyer-on most of them except on YYZ, the voice sounds BURIED by guitars and synths, which , in turn, sound distorted, is this a victim of loudness wars? If it isn't then the source was distorted.
The original growl of the bass is also replaced by just plain distortion on the YYZ solo runs.
The authoring is also piss poor, the songs start WAY early not giving the system time for a proper handshake(especially Tom Sawyer and Limelight) and the first second or two are missing, and also , between The Camera Eye and Witch Hunt, the starting/cue point of the latter is at the end of the former cause that's what I heard.
I already have complained to SRO management about the shitty quality of the box and its contents...

Now, the only great thing is that the MCH mixes are a bit more active than the previous incarnation...

I am debating whether to give it a 7 or 8...

I’m giving this one a 10.

I wanted to wait until I had my new system up and running with two height speakers before reviewing an Atmos mix. I kind of figured I’d be really particular about giving something a 10. Feels like such a big step to say something is about as perfect as it can be.

But while I’ll never claim to have the analytical/listening skills that many here have, I just don’t find anything wrong with this or even a tiny thing that derailed my enjoyment for a moment.

The music needs no discussion... it’s not only classic Rush but a rock classic, period.

I enjoyed the Atmos mix. Nothing too crazy... just sounded right to me.

And while I rarely look at the screen while listening to music, full credit for great visuals.

I had hesitated to buy this. It was pricey, and some of the surround mixes of earlier Rush albums seemed to generate mixed opinion. But I justified the purchase as a Christmas gift and I’m glad I own it.

Just as written above, I received it today (02-22-23) and had a listen to the Atmos version. For what seemed like too long of a time for like the first two or three songs; there really wasn't too much separation of instruments. Sure, there was music coming from all around as other had stated; it was just filling the air from everywhere. Where it immediately opened up for me was "The Camera Eye," that's when I found myself getting excited about the Atmos mix, and the rest of the album from there was good too.

XYZ with the opening bell sound moving around the room on my system really didn't work out very well. In stereo; it's solid going from left to right back and forth. In Atmos (at least on my system and where I am sitting) I could hear the bell going all over the place but it wasn't distinct. If that effect is distinct on other people's systems, it could clearly be a phase problem with my setup (all my speakers are in phase,) but the way audio waves bounce around in a room can mess that up...so my room could have a problem with that.

The opening of "Vital Signs" blew me away! That guitar sound that (in stereo) moves from back and forth left to right now does the same left to right back and forth on the Atmos speakers. If by any chance someone says that the guitar sounds is actually is actually moving back and forth between the two rear channels, then my apologies as again (with my setup) sometimes what I think I hear from above is actually coming from the rears. But at least to me that sounds like it's coming from above and it's really cool!

I would have liked to have heard the whole album mixed where everything sounds separate, but it seems for almost the first half of the album all the sounds are kind of mixed together that come at me all at once from all speakers. Does that make it bad? Of course not; some may prefer that...I just like to hear things separated. Now for movies for certain scenes, sound coming from everywhere all mixed together to bring forth a certain effect, I that is an effect that makes more sense to me.

Oh I almost forgot to mention, some of those video graphics kind of freaked me out! And what is that car all about and why is it included in the box set?

In any case, the amount I paid (nothing) was worth it for that huge box set. If I paid $40 for just the Blu-ray with the Atmos audio; that would be worth it. For what they are asking for the box-set and if the only part your interested in is just the Blu-ray; it could be way too pricey for too many. At the same time I've gotten to the point where I don't care what I spend on this stuff anymore...the issue for me is running out of shelf space. I had to move a few things around so this Rush Box-Set could sit on my shelf.

OK, after cranking Signals with a bump in the subs and having my mind blown, I went back to Moving Pictures with the same idea and was similarly happy with the results (MP didn't need quite the sub boost that Signals did but I left it where it was anyways for kicks).

Once again I'll say, I'm not sure what else I could possibly want or expect from this, I think it's killer. And again, the second side/half seems to take more liberties with things popping up in the rears and heights (some of which actually startled me and made me jump, like a particular synth hit in Witch Hunt), but that's cool... and YYZ is fairly dynamic in that way as well.

My only little nitpicks were really little and I'm not sure what else could even be done about some of it...

1. When you have it cranked (and why wouldn't you?) the fade out on Tom Sawyer is a touch abrupt at the very end. Feels like that coulda been avoided. Minor.

2. Never noticed it before but man, there's a crash cymbal Peart is using heavily in Red Barchetta that is really grating! He's got a plethora of 'em of course, and they all sound good except this one that kinda has a glass-breaking quality to it that I don't love (pretty isolated at 5:21 on the Blu Ray, 5:54, and he batters the crap out of it between 8:00-9:00 and again at the end). Never noticed it before but with the ability to get inside things like this it was pretty prominent and distracting in places for me, anyway. Heard that same cymbal used at least once at the end of Limelight too. Not sure if there would have even been a way to isolate that cymbal and remove some of that harshness without others suffering, so it's probably just on the tape and is what it is.

Overall, despite being a little polarizing due to previous (much older?) mixes, in my book, Ricky C. can do as much Rush in Atmos as he can get his mitts on—forward from here or filling in the back catalog as we wait for the other 40 year anniversaries to transpire! A nice crisp box of just Blu Rays with Atmos and no vinyl or luggage tags would be aces, thank you very much.

I'll give it a 9. Not perfect but pretty good.

There are a couple minor issues that prevent it from getting a 10.

Geddy's vocals have a bit too much reverb. I find this a common problem with Chychi's mixes. It's not too bad here, but still more than I would like.

The mix is lacks instrument separation, and it is somewhat static. The mix improves in this respect in there later half. Witch Hunt and Vital Signs have more active mixes.

Lacks a bit of bottom end. Bumping the subwoofer by 3db solved this.

These are just minor nitpicks. Overall, it is very enjoyable. 👏 to Mr. Chycki for a big improvement over the 2011 mix.

Now that I have 7.1.4 ATMOS ... Rush, Moving Pictures 40th in ATMOS

I really enjoyed this but for reasons I will explain, am forced to go with an 8.

I rate everything on a 10 scale and then convert it to the formula expected of reviews:
30% SURROUND MIX -
30% AUDIO FIDELITY -
30% CONTENT -
10% OVERALL PACKAGE -

Surround 8.5
The surround lost 1.5 points because as a number of people here have mentioned, it seems like it took a few tracks for the mix to warm up to being fully surround.
If it had come out of the gates like it finished, an easy 10.

Audio 8.5
Nothing too bothersome but a few choices I might not have made with my no mixing experience.

Content 9
Big ass box full of stuff, music included. And as mentioned, time spent on the visuals.

Package 5
I am tired of the big bloated boxes to get a bluray. There has to be a middle ground where they can make the margins they want and I don't eat up a cubic foot of shelf space.

Surround 8.5 (2.55)
Audio 8.5 (2.55)
Content 9 (2.7)
Package 5 (.5)
8.3 rounds to 8

As you can see, cut the bloat and this is easily a 9

Last edited:
Back