• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Rush - Moving Pictures Blu-ray disc rot

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

César

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Well, I'm not Rush's number one fan, but after Peart's death I decided to listen to Moving Pictures Blu-ray. To my surprise, it shows the same bronzing as King Crimson's damaged discs. I'm really angry, as I guess it'll be impossible to get a replacement now. What is happening with Blu-rays manufacturing?
Did anybody else get the same problem? Please check your discs

César

My blu looks perfect, but on another note, there should be a 2nd disc, and mine is missing! What is the other disc? :(
Just the regular CD with the original album, no extras. I spent the last hour trying to recover the Blu-ray on my laptop with no luck at all, it's another coaster to add to my collection. I do need to backup all my music collection, what a waste of time! 2112 backup is ongoing now... and the Blu-ray is encrypted, grrrrr.
I also found out there in the wild an ISO of the DVD-A, how sad to have to get to such extremes after having legally bought the album, that is being sold for dirty money in Discogs now.

timothyemerson

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Dang. Just checked mine and no sign of the rot.

Cesar: Back them discs up! It's a big project and can be daunting at times but once it's done, you'll be glad you did it. Don't forget to back up the back-ups too. A pair and a spare. Or more.

salsdali

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I forgot I had this DVDA. That's usually a bad sign.
I listened to it today. Some great songs - poor mix and dynamic range.
No disc rot here...
Just a rotten disc.
wow, "rotten" is a pretty strong word choice.

The vast majority voted this a 7,8,9, or 10 in the poll (myself included). That's pretty far from "rotten"

jefe1

When this came out I bought both the DVDA and bluray versions.
Opened and played the DVDA but not the bluray. Suppose I should break the seal and test it.
I will keep the DVDA . I have not hear of disc rot affecting them.

zfox

A bunch of pressings from 2011 bought from Amazon.co.uk and manufactured in Europe seem to be faulty. I have 3 affected, that is Moving Pictures and Beyond the Lighted Stage from Rush, and Roxy the Movie by Frank Zappa. Other people also reported the box sets from Pink Floyd as faulty from the period.

Beefalo

QQ Supporter
QQ Supporter

The vast majority voted this a 7,8,9, or 10 in the poll (myself included). That's pretty far from "rotten"

Sorry about the "rotten" response. I'm just very unhappy with the way this legendary album has been treated here.
We played the original 2112 vinyl to death when it came out. Then I replaced the vinyl with a very fine West German Atomic CD. Both the vinyl & CD versions were very dynamic and hit really hard.
I still listen to the CD with Atmos Upmix. There are great effects in the heights. The drums & bass have "bollocks"
I feel that this M/C release pales in comparison.

César

A bunch of pressings from 2011 bought from Amazon.co.uk and manufactured in Europe seem to be faulty. I have 3 affected, that is Moving Pictures and Beyond the Lighted Stage from Rush, and Roxy the Movie by Frank Zappa. Other people also reported the box sets from Pink Floyd as faulty from the period.
European pressing mine is, but bought in Fnac.es (in store, so it don't have any proof of purchase, I'm afraid). There was never a replacement programme for this one, was there?
Thanks!

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003

Then again, the vast majority of the ~500 hi rez releases polled so far have scores >8

zfox

European pressing mine is, but bought in Fnac.es (in store, so it don't have any proof of purchase, I'm afraid). There was never a replacement programme for this one, was there?
Thanks!
No replacement policy at all. I sent e-mail and had no answer. The Floyd sets had a replacement policy since I guess it was more important.

Soundfield

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Since the dawn of the era that promised us “Perfect Sound Forever” people have had to go to ever increasing lengths to ensure that their recordings are accessible for more than just a few years! Turned out to be the era of ‘Adequate Sound for an Indeterminate Period’.