Rush - Moving Pictures Blu-ray disc rot

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well, I'm not Rush's number one fan, but after Peart's death I decided to listen to Moving Pictures Blu-ray. To my surprise, it shows the same bronzing as King Crimson's damaged discs. I'm really angry, as I guess it'll be impossible to get a replacement now. What is happening with Blu-rays manufacturing?
Did anybody else get the same problem? Please check your discs

My blu looks perfect, but on another note, there should be a 2nd disc, and mine is missing! What is the other disc? :(
Just the regular CD with the original album, no extras. I spent the last hour trying to recover the Blu-ray on my laptop with no luck at all, it's another coaster to add to my collection. I do need to backup all my music collection, what a waste of time! 2112 backup is ongoing now... and the Blu-ray is encrypted, grrrrr.
I also found out there in the wild an ISO of the DVD-A, how sad to have to get to such extremes after having legally bought the album, that is being sold for dirty money in Discogs now.

Dang. Just checked mine and no sign of the rot.

Cesar: Back them discs up! It's a big project and can be daunting at times but once it's done, you'll be glad you did it. Don't forget to back up the back-ups too. A pair and a spare. Or more.

When this came out I bought both the DVDA and bluray versions.
Opened and played the DVDA but not the bluray. Suppose I should break the seal and test it.
I will keep the DVDA . I have not hear of disc rot affecting them.

A bunch of pressings from 2011 bought from Amazon.co.uk and manufactured in Europe seem to be faulty. I have 3 affected, that is Moving Pictures and Beyond the Lighted Stage from Rush, and Roxy the Movie by Frank Zappa. Other people also reported the box sets from Pink Floyd as faulty from the period.

wow, "rotten" is a pretty strong word choice.

The vast majority voted this a 7,8,9, or 10 in the poll (myself included). That's pretty far from "rotten"

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/rush-moving-pictures-dvd-a-bluray-audio.14355/
Sorry about the "rotten" response. I'm just very unhappy with the way this legendary album has been treated here.
We played the original 2112 vinyl to death when it came out. Then I replaced the vinyl with a very fine West German Atomic CD. Both the vinyl & CD versions were very dynamic and hit really hard.
I still listen to the CD with Atmos Upmix. There are great effects in the heights. The drums & bass have "bollocks"
I feel that this M/C release pales in comparison.

A bunch of pressings from 2011 bought from Amazon.co.uk and manufactured in Europe seem to be faulty. I have 3 affected, that is Moving Pictures and Beyond the Lighted Stage from Rush, and Roxy the Movie by Frank Zappa. Other people also reported the box sets from Pink Floyd as faulty from the period.
European pressing mine is, but bought in Fnac.es (in store, so it don't have any proof of purchase, I'm afraid). There was never a replacement programme for this one, was there?
Thanks!

European pressing mine is, but bought in Fnac.es (in store, so it don't have any proof of purchase, I'm afraid). There was never a replacement programme for this one, was there?
Thanks!
No replacement policy at all. I sent e-mail and had no answer. The Floyd sets had a replacement policy since I guess it was more important.

Since the dawn of the era that promised us “Perfect Sound Forever” people have had to go to ever increasing lengths to ensure that their recordings are accessible for more than just a few years! Turned out to be the era of ‘Adequate Sound for an Indeterminate Period’.

Same problem here... After a long time I was going to listen to my Moving Pictures BD and my player didn't recognise it. Then I realised that the disc has now a bronze colour.
That's kind of thing that makes me buy less digital media and more vinyls. Have a bunch of LPs from the 70s that are playing perfectly 50 years later and a 9 years old BD that's now useless.
I even talked with AmazonUK about it, they can't do nothing about it.

My copy is dead too. It doesn't look bronzed though but it's a coaster now. I've actually been ripping all my music blu rays over the past few weeks into full folder backups which the OPPO can play. This and Beyond the Lighted Stage are dead. I've 2 BD drives in my PC and both discs fail to even be recognised in the drives.

Luckily I did backup Lighted Stage to mkv about a year back so at least I can still watch it but I wanted to do a full disc rip but alas I cannot any longer.

With Moving Pictures I had already stripped the hi-res stereo and 5.1 but only the audio as flac. Glad I can still listen to the surround but any video content I now can't access.

Strange thing is that my original UK press of Dark Side of the Moon still rips fully as of about 2 weeks ago. I never sent it in for replacement. Very strange situation.

I've actually started ripping all my movies and TV shows Blu-ray too but I'm not sure if it's really feasible too do all because I've got about 900 discs... I've ripped about half so far but I've spent quite a bit on HDD's over the past 6 months. With drives still being about £15-20 per TB, it gets expensive quick.

There is just no way I can afford to have a second back-up of everything right now, it would almost amount to having purchased everything twice over! So far I'm ripping to 4tb drives that are not shingled and I hope one day in the next 5-10years large drives will become cheap enough where I feel I can afford something like a 12-16tb for a duplicate backup.

I've just looked at mine and it is badly bronzed! I put in the Oppo and it recognised it as a BDMV then wouldn't play, pushed stop, then started and it does play but all the text on the left and side of the screen is corrupted :mad: I'd better try and rip it later, although I do remember the surround mix wasn't that great.

This lack of quality control by the record companies is disgusting (I have rather too many which have failed), they need to get their act together instead of sitting on the fat corpulent backsides and ripping the musicians (remember most charge bands for release costs per format), and us off. They charge us quite a bit for the single discs or even more so with the box sets, then the discs fail even after careful storage. :sick:

I have LPs I've had since I was 12/13, so 50 years and they still play.

Remember the stop home taping its killing music campaigns, what a bunch of hypocrites! Grrrrr......

Edit: The disc won't play properly it keeps jumping and the audio cuts out ..........what a pile of :poop:

Last edited:
OK, mine plays perfectly. On a side note, I am a NAS drive guy who never plays discs. I admit, I just got lost in joy watching the videos in 5.1 on this disc. Seriously nearly had tears of joy/awe watching these 3 punching out Tom Saywer in their studio. What a fucking band, just wow. And, this disc flat out jams. Maybe not the most adventurous surround, but sonically, this thing will blow your doors off. Love it. haha, maybe I need to go change my vote.

Back