HiRez Poll Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of RUSH - Moving Pictures

• Total voters
Richard probably did what the band wanted. I hope he/ they are more aggressive on the next three.

Would have thought that Alex Lifeson would have learned something about 5.1 after playing on Fear of a Blank Planet. I don't know about it being what the band wanted. Maybe it was just "let's not work on this any harder than we have to."

I don't know about it being what the band wanted. Maybe it was just "let's not work on this any harder than we have to."
From what I read in all the articles about this, this is indeed what the band wanted. Their 5.1 "philosophy" was to stretch the stereo and put passing sounds in the rears as opposed to placing instruments discretely in the back. My feeling toward that philosophy is that it is a waste of multichannnel techno most of the time. Sometimes it's ok, but not for an entire record--it really depends on the music. This record really deserved the SW treatment in my opinion. I gave it a 5.

This is one solid 5.1 mix. Not too adventuresome, but the sound quality is spectacular. There are a lot of subtle surround effects laid in and Mr. Chycki has really left the spirit of the album intact. Bass response is much better than the new "trilogy" of surround mixes. I just wish that they would release all the albums on Blu-ray, it might clear up some of the issues that appear on the dvd-a versions.

The hi-res stereo version is the best mastering to date. And I never thought that they could out-do the MFSL disc. In a word: WOW!!!

Then again, there are 13 more studio albums left that have to be released in surround (if it is even possible to do the self titled debut). Talk about a mammoth task.....

Excellent disc.

However, the blu-ray has better bass response and is a little warmer in tone. Mr Chycki really nailed this mix - he probably wore out a lot of copies over the years, just like the rest of us. It is subtle and not really overbearing in any aspect. However, the sound quality (5.1 and stereo) is a definite 10.

An "8".

A DVDA from Universal in 2011..! Who'd a thunk it!? :banana:

And then there was PT's Quadrophenia directors cut, also a Universal DVDA in 2011..

mmmm...

I rather enjoyed this! The music and the surround mix were engaging and entertaining. The lead singers' voice was a little grating at times but did not detract from my enjoyment of this, all-round excellent set.

I keep going back and forth on this one. The mix teases but doesn't truly deliver. Something is just not right. It should have been better.

No kidding. I think it's the lack of actual good product that makes it so that people overrate this disc. This is better than the other Rush mixes, but there are plenty of elements here which I could have done better myself. It gets better as the disc goes on, and there's some placement stuff here and there that clearly indicates "multitracks," but there's zero excuse for the widened stereo that tends to dominate a lot of this mix.

No kidding. I think it's the lack of actual good product that makes it so that people overrate this disc. This is better than the other Rush mixes, but there are plenty of elements here which I could have done better myself. It gets better as the disc goes on, and there's some placement stuff here and there that clearly indicates "multitracks," but there's zero excuse for the widened stereo that tends to dominate a lot of this mix.

very well said DKA, I agree the paucity of releases makes anything in surround now seem like "the second coming"..
however I'd rather have the widened stereo type mix on this than the awful, pointless double stereo of a fair few discs!

I'm thinking of the Natalie Merchant Tigerlily DVDA, and that Stone Temple Pilots abomination I just got the other day - which I can't bring myself to play again right now to rate it on QQ.. I've got the O'Jays Ship Ahoy SACD on at the moment instead, now that is a good'un of a surround mix!

I'll add that I rated "Moving Pictures" higher than the 5.1 mix probably deserves (a "6" for me out of "10" for the surround element) because it's a DVDA, about half a decade after most people had proclaimed the format dead and buried! More of the "second coming" syndrome? Probably.. mea culpa! :eek:

I'll add that I rated "Moving Pictures" higher than the 5.1 mix probably deserves (a "6" for me out of "10" for the surround element) because it's a DVDA, about half a decade after most people had proclaimed the format dead and buried! More of the "second coming" syndrome? Probably.. mea culpa! :eek:

Like I said on another recent poll, I'm not rating on the quality of the music, the package it came in, and I only really rate on the format if it truly affects the listening experience. I'm rating on the quality of the mix, and I expect a professional product from these professional mixers.

I expect a professional product from these professional mixers.
I still have trouble believing that Richard Chycki (the mixer in this case) was to blame for all the problems with Moving Pictures. His production of Trapeze (2003) shows to me that he understands surround mixing. How he came up with what he did on MP is a mystery - too many cooks? Maybe.

I still have trouble believing that Richard Chycki (the mixer in this case) was to blame for all the problems with Moving Pictures. His production of Trapeze (2003) shows to me that he understands surround mixing. How he came up with what he did on MP is a mystery - too many cooks? Maybe.

The other Rush mixes were way worse, and I believe were both his. No clue what happened there, but I'm not exactly excited at the thought of more Rush mixes at this point unless someone can give me a solid "2112."

The other Rush mixes were way worse, and I believe were both his. No clue what happened there, but I'm not exactly excited at the thought of more Rush mixes at this point unless someone can give me a solid "2112."

I thought someone had posted on these forums that some of the masters for "2112" had gone walkabout..?!?

from the Rush forum..

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=74156

"Q: You've recently released the Sector box sets featuring remastered editions of all your albums including surround sound recordings of Signals. Fly By Night and A Farewell To Kings. Did you come across any difficulties in creating a surround sound album from records that were made in the '70s and '80s?

There was quite a lot missing. We have full albums missing. The master tapes for Permanent Waves, I just don't think we have the masters for that record. That is typical of those days. Your recordings would stay at the studio where you last worked. You'd get home and the master tapes would go to be mastered and then the record was released and they would keep your masters as it was safer that way. When we did Permanent Waves, Trident kept the masters but they went bankrupt and everything disappeared so we don't have the multi-track masters for that one. The same thing with the first record. There are takes missing. The original “Working Man” that's on the album is missing but we have a second version that we did that's slightly different and had a different solo with a wah-wah pedal and that's the version that exists now but that's not been a released version. There's lots of stuff missing, there's parts of 2112 missing. That's the problem we have, some tapes have gone missing, some had degraded. Baking the tapes doesn't necessarily fix them. What it does is it allows you to play the tapes through one time, if you're lucky, so you have to make sure you get it and if you get something that sticks then you`re out of luck."

Back