Rush "Signals" Dolby Atmos Mix! (Box Set Out in April!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounding slightly muffled overall with quiet vocals here
There is an audio glitch (volume jump/skip?) that I hear at 0:16 of subdivisions. Haven't had a chance to run all the way through to see how much signal separation there really is with this album on AM. Not completely surprised as the physical disc release was bashed (~5.6 in the polls).

I agree there's something up with the high-end (maybe too much noise reduction?), but I like what they did spatially with "Losing It". Starts with the synth in the rears, then the violin in the center channel and its stereo delays in the sides. The bells seem predominately mixed to the heights. Geddy's voice is almost entirely isolated in the center channel, and does get a bit overwhelmed in the passages with synth and/or guitar blaring from behind.

I've not heard the old 5.1 mix, so can't say if this better or worse.

I like this album Signals by Rush

But has the mixer not quite got the basics right?
First track, my rear heights only come alive at the end of the track.
Or...is the final mix deliberate?

Then in Digital Man those rear heights blast out for a few seconds, go quiet, and repeat.

This seems to be the pattern throughout.....

New World Man mix is on a different level...for the better

I agree...Losing Its mix is good

Geddys voice is also coming from the rears.

I'm sure folks in the know, will explain what's going on better than me.

What say you Mike?

Last edited:
I like this album Signals by Rush

But has the mixer not quite got the basics right?
First track, my rear heights only come alive at the end of the track.
Or...is the final mix deliberate?

Then in Digital Man those rear heights blast out for a few seconds, go quiet, and repeat.

This seems to be the pattern throughout.....

New World Man mix is on a different level...for the better

I agree...Losing Its mix is good

Geddys voice is also coming from the rears.

I'm sure folks in the know, will explain what's going on better than me.

What say you Mike?
I,'m listening to Subdivisions now and there's good output in all 4 heigts for the duration of the song. Will listen to the rest of the album later.

I,'m listening to Subdivisions now and there's good output in all 4 heigts for the duration of the song. Will listen to the rest of the album later.
I've listened to the whole album now, and this is a very good mix. No problems with the vocals, strong bass and good to exellent output in the heights and surround back. To me this may be the best Rush surround mix so far. :cool: The start of Countdown are wild.:D

Last edited:

I've listened to the whole album now, and this is a very good mix. No problems with the vocals, strong bass and good to exellent output in the heights and surround back. To me this may be the best Rush surround mix so far.
Yes, the mixing style has grown on me.
Getting more out of the heights than before....don't know why.

Thanks for your input....I agree it could be Rush's best surround mix.

Doesn't seem to be any Rush Signals in Atmos in Canada. Only stereo. Looked everywhere on Apple TV. On the computer I can see the album but it's only allowing sharing as an option. No "Add To Library". And they are a Canadian group. Oh well. Maybe it will show up later.

I'm very, very impressed with this so far, two songs in...would love to know who mixed the Atmos...
Yes it does sound pretty damn good even in my 5.1 setup

Attachments

• 27C11B96-CA34-4E6A-B7B7-0CDA0A275B6F.jpeg
    27C11B96-CA34-4E6A-B7B7-0CDA0A275B6F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Doesn't seem to be any Rush Signals in Atmos in Canada. Only stereo. Looked everywhere on Apple TV. On the computer I can see the album but it's only allowing sharing as an option. No "Add To Library". And they are a Canadian group. Oh well. Maybe it will show up later.
Rush Signals in Atmos not available in Canada makes as much sense to me as having to buy Mexican Coke in America to avoid that swill that is American Coke.

I listened a bit last night. It does sound pretty good. Certainly has good punchy fidelity.
I know Gene, it's hard to keep up with listening, coming at us from all ends these days. When I started listening to surround music in 2014 it seemed easier, purchase stuff that I didn't have, wasn't getting ripped off by sellers, discs where still in print, maybe 10 new discs in surround would come out per year.
Better watch what we pray for. OVERLOAD.

Back