Rush "Signals" Dolby Atmos Mix! (Box Set Out in April!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this set -audio- ANY better than the Signals DVD -A from sectors set? Really starting to wonder...? Beginning to see that it should have been mixed with the same care as the Moving pictures set. And maybe in an actual STUDIO not in a home set-up?
Yes, it is better. Far better.
Having listened on a proper Atmos system, and with intimate knowledge of the 2011 5.1.

Having listened on a proper Atmos system, and with intimate knowledge of the 2011 5.1.
Great to HEAR - the first go around was rather disappointing. I took my chances on Moving Pictures - found that to be a worthy improvement. Took my chances on this one too -bought from Rush website -misread exclusive to the Rush website line - waiting to arrive in So Cal. I hope is it also well worth my time. I don't expect either to be as good as the one Wilson did for A Farewell to Kings though. Checked out the Amazon Atmos streaming of a few tracks yesterday, definitely sounded better mix wise.

As I have said before, he should have put a good quality DTS MA in the set. As was done in Moving Pictures BR. How does the True hd 5.1 sound? ahh...that's ok Mike. We own a very proper 5.3 set up ( took a lot of time to set the bass up right...the most difficult to do in most outfits/rooms) No doubt you're already working on that vid or soon to be..all good! 👌

Last edited:
Great to HEAR - the first go around was rather disappointing. I took my chances on Moving Pictures - found that to be a worthy improvement. Took my chances on this one too -bought from Rush website -misread exclusive to the Rush website line - waiting to arrive in So Cal. I hope is it also well worth my time. I don't expect either to be as good as the one Wilson did for A Farewell to Kings though. Checked out the Amazon Atmos streaming of a few tracks yesterday, definitely sounded better mix wise.
Not many can mix as well as Wilson can. In ANY format. We own many of the Jethro Tull Book sets and they are all among our favorites. So many more Steven Wilson mixed sets in this house. All of them are awesome. At least the ones we own.. Our Signals set will arrive tonight. I will be playing the DVD-A Sectors one before listening to the 5.1 truehd version for actual back and forth compare. Our room, setup with my own ears 🤝

Last edited:
Yeah right, until the next floozy comes along, you dog.
no Markie
My life is complete !! When I opened the Signals box, this certificate was inside !!!!

wonkaticket2.jpg

no Markie
My life is complete !! When I opened the Signals box, this certificate was inside !!!!

View attachment 91134
I'll admit that listening to the album while examining the book is a great experience. I think they did a wonderful job on the book (and the half speed DMM mastering), which really makes me feel deeply in touch with the album.

Yeah right, until the next floozy comes along, you dog.
......now that I think about it. Yup - Im a dog and that next floozy that would tickle my fancy would be Rush Grace Under Pressure Superdeluxe. I dont have Atmos but can only imagine how freakin incredible Grace would be in Atmos ( Me - Ill settle for the 5.1 )

......now that I think about it. Yup - Im a dog and that next floozy that would tickle my fancy would be Rush Grace Under Pressure Superdeluxe. I dont have Atmos but can only imagine how freakin incredible Grace would be in Atmos ( Me - Ill settle for the 5.1 )
Grace Under Pressure was my entry point with Rush and it remains a sentimental favorite.

My Signals box arrives tomorrow, so I’ll enjoy that and give it the attention it deserves. But my mind will soon turn to full-time longing for a Grace.. box set.

Signals and Grace Under Pressure really go together as far as time period. They sound so alike. There’s a few stronger songs on Signals but I feel Grace Under Pressure is the better album.

As I have said before, he should have put a good quality DTS MA in the set. As was done in Moving Pictures BR. How does the True hd 5.1 sound? ahh...that's ok Mike. We own a very proper 5.3 set up ( took a lot of time to set the bass up right...the most difficult to do in most outfits/rooms) No doubt you're already working on that vid or soon to be..all good! 👌
I wonder if The Dolby contract prohibits the DTS on the same disc in the future. I prefer DTS over true HD. Dts is less compressed and uses all of my 7.1 set up.

Have been going through this set's 5.1 and the 5.1 dvd-a. It is better/cleaner (BR) and is mixed very differently than the dvd-a. Again, I am only speaking of the 5.1 versions. My ears/setup~ We don't do atmos in here. Our favorite of this record is Losing it. That one in particular is beautiful. Well done. Strong but very clean bass and voice smack dab in the center speaker. Guitar and that violin! ..wow!. Proper levels on all .. NICE!! Some of the other tracks have the rears way toned down when it was not so necessary at all to turn them so far down. Should have used them more in certain spots without a doubt. Seems as though the 5.1 mix that had it 'almost' right decided to not get too close to the atmos one maybe? I cant get into someone else's head, but it just seemed that way to me. The three front channels and the .1 channel are just about perfect..but the rears? Sometimes ok, one track was almost perfect ( losing it) and then other times/tracks just backed off and not very discreet where it surely should have been..my opinion... mostly rears. Almost lazy, kind of weird. I will be going through both 5.1's again later today with some more time. Losing it turned up in here (and I mean turned up!) was just unreal. Clean as can be and that bass (not boomy at all) but it too was gorgeous and CLEAN. That song alone made this set for us. It was the one track damn near perfect for us w/ 5.1 version. The lack of a quality DTS 5.1 MA does bug me and should have been included. Period. That was a shitty move there...but still very glad we got this! Anyway, til next time~ Mike by the way, kudos to Neil Peart in the Losing It visual. He is very missed.

Last edited:
I wonder if The Dolby contract prohibits the DTS on the same disc in the future. I prefer DTS over true HD. Dts is less compressed and uses all of my 7.1 set up.
We'll surely see in the next titles.... I hope all is still good with both versions as a choice~ Steven Wilson and the rest. Stay at it with BOTH! 🤝

Last edited:
Back